Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What Will your New Camera Do For You?

I posted another thread asking what your plans were for one of the newly announced cameras.....that is, if you have plans on purchasing one.
I found the replies interesting, and not too surprising all in all.

Now I am interested in what you think your new camera will do for you that you can't currently accomplish? Is there a special need you have, a particular shortcoming on your current camera, or some other reason that compels you to desire a new model?

Also, do you sell your work regularly......print your work at home or outsource print, or is most of your work posted on the Web and seldom printed?

In all honesty, do you feel your new purchase, either now or in the near future has more to do with need...or with greed....actually, I don't like to use the word greed for camera gear....let's just change that to "desire". So are your desires the driving force...or is it actual needs that are not currently fulfilled?

I do plan on the Fuji X-Pro...I have a new small studio opening soon and I think it may be fantastic for portraits, which will be my main usage. I do print, mostly at home, and often frame my work...however the vast majority ends up on the internet and never printed.
I also admit that my "desire" drives my purchases more than need....the K5 an my little X10 actually fulfill most all of my true needs.

If there is something I left out that you think is an important factor, feel free to throw it in....I'm always interested!

Best Regards!

02-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Apparently none of you need a new camera? I kind of thought so! I don't either, but I'll soon have one anyhow! The truth is, the best thing it will do is reduce the size of my bank account!

Regards!
02-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I must be getting old, I like big print.

Well, I certainly don't NEED another camera, but the lust and the lure for something new never goes away. I'm not a professional, so what drives my need is application and function rather than IQ.

When the X-100 was announced, I pre-ordered one thinking it would be better than a DSLR for discreet candids and street photography. While waiting for the X-100 to become available I began to look at other options. Having had a flip out screen before, the NEX-5 really appealed to me. I ended up buying one and quickly fell in love with it. That camera is so light and easy to carry around; it marked the beginning of my interest in mirrorless cameras. However like the K-7 and K-x, it's AF and inability to track anything that moves left a gap in my needs. Enter the V-1 and problem solved!

I sold my K-7 and most of my lenses. I still have a K-x and four choice lenses, along with the NEX-5 with four emount lenses, and the V-1 with three CX lenses. That should be enough. However I'm fascinated by new technology and the Lytro strikes a chord with me... One of a few things I find so appealing about the Lytro is it doesn't look like a camera. And while I don't expect spectacular IQ, I think it will be enough to get shots that otherwise might be impossible to get with a more conventional camera. So yeah, I'm far more interested in function and possibilities and top notch IQ.
02-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Variety is the spice of life I've heard......I would love to have a dozen cameras and a thousand lenses........I think it drives us all far more than actual need?
Regards!

02-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Variety is the spice of life I've heard......I would love to have a dozen cameras and a thousand lenses........
Not me, I'd like to keep it down to two cameras and a few choices lenses. Why is that so difficult?
02-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I posted another thread asking what your plans were for one of the newly announced cameras.....that is, if you have plans on purchasing one.
I found the replies interesting, and not too surprising all in all.

Now I am interested in what you think your new camera will do for you that you can't currently accomplish? Is there a special need you have, a particular shortcoming on your current camera, or some other reason that compels you to desire a new model?

Also, do you sell your work regularly......print your work at home or outsource print, or is most of your work posted on the Web and seldom printed?

In all honesty, do you feel your new purchase, either now or in the near future has more to do with need...or with greed....actually, I don't like to use the word greed for camera gear....let's just change that to "desire". So are your desires the driving force...or is it actual needs that are not currently fulfilled?

I do plan on the Fuji X-Pro...I have a new small studio opening soon and I think it may be fantastic for portraits, which will be my main usage. I do print, mostly at home, and often frame my work...however the vast majority ends up on the internet and never printed.
I also admit that my "desire" drives my purchases more than need....the K5 an my little X10 actually fulfill most all of my true needs.

If there is something I left out that you think is an important factor, feel free to throw it in....I'm always interested!

Best Regards!
X Pro because it's after using the X100 and X10 I realize it's exactly the kind of camera I like to use. I'm pre-ordered on the D800 mainly because I plan on starting a dog portrait business. No kidding. I did some people portraits last year and really didn't have fun. Dogs on the other hand I get along with. I'm still debating the Nikon. But the X Pro for me is a no brainer. It's going to be a long wait until they ship on March 20.................
02-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I just want a camera that is:
1. superb for manual focus,
2. IQ is comparable to Nikon D700 or Canon 5D
3. doesn't cost as much as an M9
4. Can use zeiss slr lenses (ze/zf/za). Or has an alternate selection of good lenses of same quality.
5. equivalent to 35mm or FF (although if the other 4 conditions are met, I may buy an aps-c)
7. Video or other fancy stuff like IS, does not matter. I would rather prefer not to have them if that can bring down the price.
8. AF - I don't use it that much. But the focus confirmation is important (even for MF). It should not be as dodgy as in k-5. Should be of 5D standard at the least.

I don't think the Manual focus in xpro 1 is as good. So, I will just have to make do with the D700 or 5D.

cheers,

Abhi

P.S> I think D700 is still the best DSLR available today. 5D(original) is the best value if you don't need AF speed of D700. And I am not a pro of any kind. I am only talking from a Hobbyist perspective.

Last edited by dexmus; 02-19-2012 at 02:53 PM.
02-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

What I want a new camera to do for me:

1) Smaller and more discrete. I do not like the stereotype that comes with using a largish and noisy camera like the k200D. Also, I tend to use my camera most when traveling, and would like to carry it in a small case that does not scream expensive camera.

2) I find the ability to go above ISO 1600 would be nice on occasion. I often find myself shooting indoors with the DA40 and the shutter speed at ISO 1600 is 1/20 - 1/30 at f2.8 (and ISO 1600 is not very good on my camera).

3) Video. I do not use video much, and will probably not do any professional videos. However, some moments are best captured on video. I would like to have that flexibility (particularly if I am going to drop money on another camera body).

4) Maintain the build quality and weather resistance of my k200D. I love hiking outdoors and am not afraid of poor weather )

Will a new camera make me a better photographer? Absolutely not. However, I hope that it will make me more likely to take my camera places.

I am not a professional photographer, and do not plan on making money on my photos anytime in the near future. So far, I have not printed much, but my dad has a 40" printer. Once I graduate and move into a more permanent living situation, I will probably make some larger prints. I have always liked the idea of decorating my future house with pictures of places I have been instead of random art.

Since I am decently content with what I have, I will probably wait a year or so for the Olympus OM-D to drop in price, and then purchase one.
02-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #9
MAC

QuoteOriginally posted by dexmus Quote

I don't think the Manual focus in xpro 1 is as good. So, I will just have to make do with the D700 or 5D.

The XF lenses are slow to manual focus, certainly not unusable, but not suited to anything fast moving. Given that you can zoom in on your selected focus point with the press of a button (conveniently located directly under your thumb), I would think that any natively manual focus lenses would actually be fairly easy to use. This, of course, is almost certainly a matter of personal preference.

On a side note, i do like that you can choose which direction the XF lenses rotate to focus.
02-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I purchased a second D700 last week for the upcoming year.

I don't want it to do anything my other D700 doesn't already do, but I do want to have the same sensor in my cameras so that when my wife and I shoot sessions together the images don't need extra PP work to make the session look seamless. I'm tired of fighting with the images to make them look consistent when different cameras were used.

Two sessions in already and the PP was consistent and a total breeze for both!

c[_]
02-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Full frame mirrorless camera with LV and EVF (peaking is a must), ability to mount M lenses, the best is M-mount itself. Hope upcoming M10 will match these criteria. Hope this won't look and feel like anachronistic crap as M9 (and X-"Pro"-1 too) does.
02-23-2012, 04:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
X Pro because it's after using the X100 and X10 I realize it's exactly the kind of camera I like to use. I'm pre-ordered on the D800 mainly because I plan on starting a dog portrait business. No kidding. I did some people portraits last year and really didn't have fun. Dogs on the other hand I get along with. I'm still debating the Nikon. But the X Pro for me is a no brainer. It's going to be a long wait until they ship on March 20.................

The Nikon might be better for Dog Portraiture, you'll need the FPS because you never know when the dog might wink
02-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

What Will your New Camera Do For You?
Hopefully keep me informed as to where the closest liqueur stores are to me while out street shooting so I can keep stocked up on beer...
02-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Weatherproofing. That is all.
02-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My "newest" camera is a Nikon FTN Photomic.
I can use it as a weapon if I'm ever attacked.
Then I can use it to photograph my assailant.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 03-05-2012 at 05:23 AM.