Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #16
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Just one more remark ...

OTOH, I concede that the K-01 does remarkably well (better than the 5DmkIII or E-M5 actually) in terms of current DPR hits (5% vs. 15% for the D800).
wow where does that K-01 popularity coming from. There are like almost non pre-orders for the K-01 in The Netherlands.

03-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The high ISO performance is a bit of a shock and truly remarkable. I dont want or need file sizes like that though.
The D4 is my baby and makes me drool lol. Shame about the price though eeeek I will wait to see the new D300.
My guess it will be superb and 16 million pixel.
Who knows.... pentax could easily trump them all with the K5 replacement. The sensor is already there !
03-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
The sensor is already there !
And if it gets to do what it did with the k5 it would be slightly better than the d800, with in body stabilization and maybe more compact although i'm not sure they could pull that off (how more compact can you really make a camera like that?).
The problem is that at that price point people start to look at other things like sync speed and available flash system (pentax's is lacking there), AF and metering (i'm sure they can get it to a fair point but it'll be difficult to beat nikon's), available FF lenses (new lens roadmap needed)...
I would rather like seeing them using the square sensor and a modular approach
03-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Wow, thats nice the D800 is really proving to be a historic camera. We can only wonder what Pentax can do with this sensor, if the D7000/k-5 is any indicator they could score a 97!

03-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Thats an awesome score! I highly doubt that the new Canon FF will be able to even remotely close too that!
When I jump ship I know which ship I will be boarding
03-24-2012, 12:36 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
We can only wonder what Pentax can do with this sensor, if the D7000/k-5 is any indicator they could score a 97!
Indeed. If the D800 sensor is just essentially a larger D7000/K-5 sensor, then the same Sony/Nikon/Pentax market arrangement may apply to the D800 as it did to the previous deal - Nikon gets first dibs and exclusive use for perhaps 1 year, then the sensor is available to the open market, meaning Sony and Pentax can roll out bodies with this sensor.

If it is to be believed that the D800 was actually ready to roll out in 2011, but Sendai tsunami problems held up it's market release, then perhaps the clock on Nikon's exclusivity deal may have started ticking some time ago. Meaning 2012 for a Sony/Pentax 36MP FF release or announcement could be doable.
03-24-2012, 03:00 AM   #22
Veteran Member

i want one. if pentax does not release a full frame this year i shall have a d800 early next.

03-24-2012, 03:28 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Funny to see how pentax loses its most solvent users just because they (pentax) "doesn't see market" for their FF. It's also funny to read those APS-C fanboys (not ones who insist APS-C is good enough but that ones who's talking about "APS-C rivals FF"). You see now how better FF than APS-C when built on the same technology.
03-24-2012, 08:14 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Coeurdechene Quote
And if it gets to do what it did with the k5 it would be slightly better than the d800, with in body stabilization and maybe more compact although i'm not sure they could pull that off (how more compact can you really make a camera like that?).
The problem is that at that price point people start to look at other things like sync speed and available flash system (pentax's is lacking there), AF and metering (i'm sure they can get it to a fair point but it'll be difficult to beat nikon's), available FF lenses (new lens roadmap needed)...
I would rather like seeing them using the square sensor and a modular approach
I kind of meant in APSC version
I already have a D300 and D3s and Fuji Pro 5
and of course the K5. But yup ! Fix the autofocus and Flash exposure better build quality and the K5 would have it in the bag for sure. Autofocus sensors that are not the size of a raural village would be the biggest step
03-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
Funny to see how pentax loses its most solvent users just because they (pentax) "doesn't see market" for their FF. It's also funny to read those APS-C fanboys (not ones who insist APS-C is good enough but that ones who's talking about "APS-C rivals FF"). You see now how better FF than APS-C when built on the same technology.
I think everyone knows FF will give you higher quality genraly. The point is.... where do you see this higher quality ? Apsc give me all the quality I need and the K5 matches my FF D3s for quality. I simply prefer APSC because of the extra Depth of the lenses etc.
I love the Olympus four thirds too, and full frame is a bit the other end so I use and prefer APSC for a good middle ground. I bought the D3s years ago. Back then I had no choice other than to buy full frame. The D300 changed things when it came out, matching the D3s upto 400 ISO. Things have now moved on to such an extent that quality now relies on the lenses. All I see with the D800 is gigantic files. If I had clients demanding such files or if i was producing billboards I wouldnt hesitate. Its amazing you can now compete within the 645D bracket for such a price though.
03-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Then no worries...you got your d800 sensor on the K5. They are the same generation...maybe the replacement to the k5 will be all upgrades in the sole departments where the k5 is just decent and not outstanding.

I like FF for its augmented depth of field control, and for the FOV of the lenses..i can always crop to get the "reach" but with apsc i cannot go wider... You got better high ISO performance too.

About the gigantic file size..i'll use lossless raw compression, and shoot jpeg's in small size when i don't need to retouch extensively, when the light is good or when i simply ain't got the time to PP. It's gonna be an interesting year for fotography...i'm curious to the sony spawn of this sensor, especially it's video mode..and curious too to see if there's a big surprise at photokina for pentax (i would jump right in again if it was a square modular FF although i don't think it'll happen any time soon...and if it's just FF i might jump back when my d800 starts to show it's age:P).
03-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Coeurdechene Quote
Then no worries...you got your d800 sensor on the K5. They are the same generation...maybe the replacement to the k5 will be all upgrades in the sole departments where the k5 is just decent and not outstanding.

I like FF for its augmented depth of field control, and for the FOV of the lenses..i can always crop to get the "reach" but with apsc i cannot go wider... You got better high ISO performance too.

About the gigantic file size..i'll use lossless raw compression, and shoot jpeg's in small size when i don't need to retouch extensively, when the light is good or when i simply ain't got the time to PP. It's gonna be an interesting year for fotography...i'm curious to the sony spawn of this sensor, especially it's video mode..and curious too to see if there's a big surprise at photokina for pentax (i would jump right in again if it was a square modular FF although i don't think it'll happen any time soon...and if it's just FF i might jump back when my d800 starts to show it's age:P).
With that amount of pixels I guess shooting jpg is hardly going to suffer lol. I shoot in order of about 2000 frames a week. I think of those files and just think ouch.
One things for certain...... Your going wring every last drop of qualty a lens has to offer. Maybe I should ask my clients if they would be intrested in big files. I wouldnt need much of an excuse to buy it lol
03-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #28
Veteran Member

falconeye,
Would the D800E get a slightly different score than the D800?
03-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #29
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
So, what DxO is telling us is simple: the D800 has 36 million of the exact same pixels the K-5 has 16 million of. In retrospect, the D800 score was trivial to predict because full frame adds 15 to an APSC score and the D7000 was at 80, the D800 is 95 indeed.
So in DX-mode with the D800 we are back with the 80 points that the D7000 scores (if I understand this correct)?

So if we would cut a large 4/3th with a size of 28x21mm and 26 megapixel we would get smaller sized files out of our camera and a DxO score of 87 (or 88) points (or a like)?

Okay, I would take that
03-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
So in DX-mode with the D800 we are back with the 80 points that the D7000 scores (if I understand this correct)?

So if we would cut a large 4/3th with a size of 28x21mm and 26 megapixel we would get smaller sized files out of our camera and a DxO score of 87 (or 88) points (or a like)?

Okay, I would take that
You just want your cake and eat it lol
Blimey.... Two cameras in one.... True value
If it turns out to be the case Im ordering one
An the missus will hate you Soz !!!! gotta blame sumone