Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Canon FF Mirrorless concept

In case no one has yet commented on this, tech radar has an interesting piece.

If done right, I think this could be quite a game changer. The fact that a mock-up has been prepared indicates serious intentions (and with a new mount - not EF).
I just wish Pentax would prepare a similar concept, and sell (now!) with 31mm, 35mm, 43mm, 50mm, and 77mm lenses with the existing K mount.

It is also interesting that they are aligning with the Canon AE concept of old - seems like everyone is on a nostalgia trip.

03-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think this was mentioned in another thread. I don't know, sounds a bit farfetched and not really Canon's style. But who knows, the camera industry is acting strange lately.
03-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

This is a concept from a non-canon person who did it for something to do.

David Riesenberg

I don't think it has anything to do with official Canon concepts.
03-25-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
Banned

canon would never go back to that styling. they haven't for a long time, an I can't see it happening in the future. as for the concept itself, it seems pretty intriguing.

03-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
quite a game changer
LOL. Every new camera design today seems to be described as a 'game changer'.

Recalling the last two or three years of product announcements, I'm not sure there have been any real 'game changer' cameras at all in recent years, if by 'game changer' we mean something that has been seriously market disruptive.
03-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
Banned

QuoteQuote:
An electronic viewfinder can be attached and removed via the hotshoe.

Why can't it have the EVF like the Olympus OM-D E-M5 ?
03-26-2012, 02:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If it doesn't have an integrated EVF, then what the heck are you supposed to look at in the viewfinder that IS there?

03-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
LOL. Every new camera design today seems to be described as a 'game changer'.

Recalling the last two or three years of product announcements, I'm not sure there have been any real 'game changer' cameras at all in recent years, if by 'game changer' we mean something that has been seriously market disruptive.
Ha! fair enough.
I was thinking more of the "full frame in a much more compact package" game changer.
03-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
"full frame in a much more compact package"
Leica M9?

The original Canon 5D ['Classic'] was also a relatively compact design for a FF DSLR. It probably wouldn't take much for Canon to shrink the design of the original 5D even further, if they wanted to, even without going down the EVF/mirrorless etc path.
03-27-2012, 03:05 AM   #10
Pentaxian

If Canon is to propose a mirrorless camera, I presume they will use the G1-X's sensor, which is slightly larger than the µ4/3 sensors, to differentiate it from their APS-C DSLRs.