Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-16-2012, 06:59 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, I think that Pentax has had plans for a full frame camera for a long time, just waiting for the right time. I don't think they will have much choice if cheaper options are coming out, although I don't think that the days of APS-C are quite past either. That said, I wouldn't see a full frame camera before spring of next year.

As to the people who "need" full frame already having them, the market isn't a fixed thing. People really do sell gear, move between brands, move up, move down and move side ways on a regular basis. At the same time, Pentax would need to have a compelling product. Hopefully it would include (a) in-body stabilization (b) smaller size (not sure how much smaller than the D800 it could really go and (c) smaller lenses than competitors. I think there is market space for such a camera right now.

05-16-2012, 08:40 AM   #17
Banned

Now that the $3k D800 took the wind out of the 645D sails I think it's time for a FF K-mount camera.
05-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Well, I think that Pentax has had plans for a full frame camera for a long time, just waiting for the right time.
The right time is probably somewhere always closer to the present. In the near-future FF will probably be commonplace in the enthusiast level and up and APS-C will be the new low-end. I just hope they won't be as late in entering the market like the LX and MZ-S did.

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Now that the $3k D800 took the wind out of the 645D sails I think it's time for a FF K-mount camera.
That is probably what Nikon wanted to kick at Pentax: They make a 35mm camera which they can market as "enough" to de-stabilize the emerging 645D market. Kill the bud before it blossoms. Big problem for 645D - unless Pentax comes up with a "full" MF sensor, and better everything. A $2000 brand-new price drop may not even be enough as it will still cost twice more than a D800.

And yes, kick it to Canon, who's been too busy lately improving video in their cameras for some reason... Sony... nah, I doubt the top A850 successor will make that big a splash.