Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #1

Pocketable film camera?

I'm looking for a film camera I can carry in my pocket. Something lalong the lines of an Olympus Xa. I find I'm missing to many shots because my K20 is just to big to take with me everywhere. Got a kid on the way so my price range is only around $100. Suggestions?

05-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #2

So why not just get an Olympus XA if that's what you want? I like my Pentax PC35AF better than the XA I used. It's got a 5 element 35mm f/2.8 lens and they go pretty cheap on ebay when you find them. Plus it's a Pentax.
05-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Auto 110
05-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mattco26 Quote
So why not just get an Olympus XA if that's what you want?
I believe you misconstrued what I said. I said I want something along the same lines as the xa. To clarify, I'm looking for something I can carry in my pocket wherever I go. Not necessarily saying I want an XA.

05-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by privateryan Quote
I believe you misconstrued what I said. I said I want something along the same lines as the xa. To clarify, I'm looking for something I can carry in my pocket wherever I go. Not necessarily saying I want an XA.
Sure, sure I get it, but the questions still stands, if you want something similar to an XA why not just get one of those? People go nuts over the Olympus Stylus Epic, but the original Stylus with f/3.5 is just as good and much cheaper.
05-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Pentax Auto 110
Lol, that probably would be my best bet, huh? However I'm looking for a 35mm cam. Although (hate to sidetrack my own thread) I was pretty excited to read (I disremember where) that somebody is coming back out with 110 film.
05-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have an XA as my compact carry camera. Konica also made some nice compact rangefinders in the C35 series (I think mine has a 38mm f/2.8 but I haven't taken it out in a while).

Alternate approach: ME or ME Super with either the 50mm f/1.7 or the 40mm f/2.8. I have a compact belt pouch that I use to carry my ME with any of the shorter M series primes.

05-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #8

Original Poster
Sure, sure I get it, but the questions still stands, if you want something similar to an XA why not just get one of those? People go nuts over the Olympus Stylus Epic, but the original Stylus with f/3.5 is just as good and much cheaper.
Yes, and my statement still stands as well:
I said I want something along the same lines as the Xa.To clarify, I'm looking for something I can carry in my pocket wherever I go. Not necessarily saying I want an XA.
Let me break it down for you in simpler terms. I'm not looking for someone to make me feel good about my alleged decision to purchase a XA. I'm looking for suggestions on what other pocketable cams there are out there. Some other cams I can go research. I'm also looking at the Minox GT and the Retina IIa. Just wondering what other options there are out there.

BTW, do you actually have anything useful to say?
05-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
Alternate approach: ME or ME Super with either the 50mm f/1.7 or the 40mm f/2.8. I have a compact belt pouch that I use to carry my ME with any of the shorter M series primes.
Thanks, I'll look into the C35 series.
05-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #10

Yes, and my statement still stands as well:

Let me break it down for you in simpler terms. I'm not looking for someone to make me feel good about my alleged decision to purchase a XA. I'm looking for suggestions on what other pocketable cams there are out there. Some other cams I can go research. I'm also looking at the Minox GT and the Retina IIa. Just wondering what other options there are out there.

BTW, do you actually have anything useful to say?
Wow I don't see any reason to be a jerk, I was trying to help you. You still haven't explained why you want something like an XA but not an XA, but that's ok. I also suggested the Pentax PC35AF as well as the cheaper of the Olympus Stylus models. I also have a Pentax IQ-Zoom 120SW that despite it's slower lens takes wonderful photos.

Why did you ask for the opinions of others if you are just going to bite their heads off?
05-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The classic tiny 135 cams are the XA (first edition) and the Rollei 35. I'm a lazy slob, and cheap; my backup cam isn't my XA (210g) which me mate monopolizes anyway; nor my A110 (305g) because I'm not big on 110; but a Canon SureShot 80u (200g) that I got at a rummage sale for one buck. Auto exposure and focus, power winder, slow but sharp powerzoom -- it works for me. Let's see, where did I leave that Minox?
05-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #12

Original Poster
You still haven't explained why you want something like an XA but not an XA, but that's ok.
Actually I did. Twice. But I'll go ahead and reiterate it once more. I'm looking for something that's pocketable, that has a decently sharp lens, and that's actually somewhat nice looking. The XA meets all of these criteria. So does the Minox GT. I'm just wondering what other options there are available before I make a purchase. My apologies for being a jerk. Your abrupt manner kind of rubs me the wrong way. However I do appreciate your suggestions and actually just started doing a bit of research on both of those cams. So thanks.
05-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Konica S3
Olympus 35RC
Rollie 35
Yashica CC or CCN (I have the GX which is a tiny bit bigger)

All these are pretty small film cameras with better lenses than a XA, but not as small as a XA though.
05-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks Twitch and RioRico. I'll start looking into those cams as well.
05-17-2012, 08:56 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Here's a good starting point for research, and the XA is in there for comparison Compact 35 Rangefinders