Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
External Pentax flash with X100?

So I was watching a video lately where Zach Arias was shooting with an old Kodak Easyshare and Nikon external flash as part of a street shooting challenge. He used the external flash as a slave to the Kodak....this got me wondering if I could use one of my Pentax AF 360 flash heads as a slave along with my X100 for an off camera flash? Could I set up the AF 360 to trigger when the on board X100 flash fires? If so, is there a way to trigger the slave flash unit without having the on board X100 flash affect the shot (I read about covering it with an IR filter)

Anyone have any experience with the X100 and off camera flash heads....namely the Pentax AF 360?

07-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Can't really answer your X100 question, but I use my 360 & 540 mounted on my X10....in manual mode. I also use a Cactus Flash with both of them, and it works just fine.

Regards
07-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
You can use it off camera with the X100 if you get some sort or wireless trigger, IR trigger, or hotshoe-PC Cord adapter. The reason Zack could sync the flash as a slave is because that particular model of Nikon flashes has a built in optical slave, Pentax 360 flashes do not, at least not the dumb slave kind which fires when any other type of flash fires. In order for the 360 to work as an optical slave, it needs to receive the P-TTL signal from a commander flash mounted on a Pentax camera (or the built in camera of most Pentax DSLR). I *think* that the 540 does have this when you select slave mode 2, but I can't confirm that 100%.
07-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah I have a wireless trigger set up...just wondering if I could do it without them. I got the off camera flash to fire, but it will take some work to get good at it. Thanks for the input!