Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-18-2012, 03:30 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
Oh yes, finally a convenient way to use Pentax lenses on a 24x36 sensor without buying a Leica!
Whilst I think it is sad that Pentaxians have to resort to third party bodies to use their Pentax lenses on FF, and even though I am a Pentax fanboy, I would still buy this Sony FF if Pentax doesn't issue their own FF body.

Pentax can't miss this the coming opportunities too, can they?

08-18-2012, 03:40 AM   #17
Zav
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Whilst I think it is sad that Pentaxians have to resort to third party bodies to use their Pentax lenses on FF, and even though I am a Pentax fanboy, I would still buy this Sony FF if Pentax doesn't issue their own FF body.

Pentax can't miss this the coming opportunities too, can they?
I think I have been waiting enough for Pentax. I don't want to change system, I want to use my lenses the way there were supposed to be used!
It is a bit sad for Pentax but, it's not as if we have not been asking for a FF for a long time...
08-18-2012, 03:42 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
Oh yes, finally a convenient way to use Pentax lenses on a 24x36 sensor without buying a Leica!
Can't you mount them on a Canon? I have seen many people shooting with Pentax lenses on 5Ds and more recent makes of Canon.
08-18-2012, 03:45 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Can't you mount them on a Canon? I have seen many people shooting with Pentax lenses on 5Ds and more recent makes of Canon.
You can. But a Canon FF body is too big and heavy. A FF NEX will be much smaller and lighter.

08-18-2012, 06:23 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Many wider taks will hit the mirror and k-mounts need to be modified.
08-18-2012, 06:57 AM   #21
Zav
Pentaxian

Not convenient, see the post above. I should have written "non destructive"
08-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
BTW, if this move by Sony turns out true than it would strenghten my opinion that the Sony SLT technology is (only) a migration aid to shift their reflex market to the E-mount. Because then, it would be a strategic mistake for them to offer the full frame A-99 without, at the same time, to offer a full frame NEX-9 too. They would have to come in pairs until SLT is obsoleted.
An interesting thought, but one would wonder then why Sony have spent such little effort improving the selection and quality of E-mount lenses.

08-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
The 7 sensor array was never set up to work with UWA lenses like the 5N was. So, it's possible with the proper design elements in place. Time will tell, both if the rumor is true and if UWA is possible on a FF NEX sensor.
Even the 5N was shown up in quite a big way against the M-mount GXR. All interesting... time will tell.
08-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Even the 5N was shown up in quite a big way against the M-mount GXR. All interesting... time will tell.
That's true, mine has trouble with my CV 15, but Christine has no issues with hers. The GXR module on the other hand was designed for the M mount lenses from day one.

It will be interesting to see what actually shows up when Sony raises the curtain.
08-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Maybe they are working on FF lenses and don't want to make too many APSc only lenses.
08-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
An interesting thought, but one would wonder then why Sony have spent such little effort improving the selection and quality of E-mount lenses.
Is this so?

Except for 2006, Sony is releasing lenses as follows (Alpha/E):

2007: 2/0
2008: 4/0
2009: 4/0
2010: 3/3
2011: 1/4
2012: tbd

So, they basically switched lens development from Alpha to E mount already.
08-18-2012, 12:18 PM   #27
Banned

2010: 3/3
2011: 1/4
2012: tbd

any of them for FF? Maybe the last 24mm lens?
08-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #28
Veteran Member

After launching a new mount, one would certainly expect increased activity over a previous mount.

My question is, why such mediocrity?

FWIW, I'm still not a believer at all in coke cans on cigarette packets.

Mirrorless requires small zooms or pancakes to leverage its advantage. Maximum acuity, and distortion be damned. Lightning-fast (imperceptible) in-camera PP to take care of the needs of 90% of consumers.

Last edited by Unsinkable II; 08-18-2012 at 12:36 PM.
08-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #29
Veteran Member

After launching a new mount, one would certainly expect increased activity over a previous mount.

My question is, why such mediocrity.

FWIW, I'm still not a believer at all in coke cans on cigarette packets.

Mirrorless requires small zooms or pancakes to leverage its advantage. Maximum acuity, and distortion be damned. Lightning-fast (imperceptible) in-camera PP to take care of 90% of consumers' needs.
Some people hate the 16. I am not one of them, but it certainly could be improved. Some complain about the 35, and the 55-210, while pretty good, is slow. These you could maybe call mediocre, but the 50 and the 24 are excellent. Now why they couldn't make a compelling compact pancake setup like Samsung, I don't know, but lenses shouldn't have to be much bigger than M mount lenses.

Sigma makes two very nice, bargain, offerings. I've got the Sigma 19/2.8. It was good enough for me to let go of my DA21 and it is sharper than the limited.
08-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #30
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Some people hate the 16. I am not one of them, but it certainly could be improved.

I used the 16mm pancake on the Nex 5 on a demonstration evening in Belgium.

While I think that is to much wideangle for my liknigs, it is a descent lens. I only handled the 18-55 for a short moment and I would not use such a lens on a Nex for pleasure.