Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-17-2012, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Full Frame Sony NEX imminent?

As you may have seen (or not), SAR today announces that Sony is going to release a full frame mirrorless

-> (SR5) Sony NEX goes Full Frame!!!! | sonyalpharumors

And it gives the rumor the highest possible credibility: SR5=almost certainly correct!

That's good news (and bad news for Pentax as the K-0x line of cameras would be ideally positioned to occupy this niche (first) -- another epic chance missed).

The rumor says it is a NEX camera which would imply the E-mount.

So, I used camerasizes.com [ Compare camera dimensions side by side ] to quickly verify that the E-mount is indeed large enough to accomodate a full frame sensor (I used a Nikon FF camera because there are no images (yet) of a K-mount dSLR with FF sensor -> cf. attachment.

Indeed, it is: the NEX-7's E-mount (overlaid in green) is slightly larger (by a mm or two) than the F-mount (overlaid in red -- common parts appear pink). The green screws are from the F-mount. Moreover, the electronic E-mount contacts (bow of green dots in the bottom part of the mirror box) align perfectly with the F-mount's shield, leaving enough room for full frame optics. BTW, the new Canon mirrorless mount would not support full frame ...

From the very beginning, Sony's E-mount looked full frame to me (just like K-mount or F-mount) and I consider this newest rumor to be credible.

Attached Images

08-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
Banned

Well having a sensor is maybe also a problem for Pentax. Who knows, maybe FF K-1 and FF K-11 are coming in the future.

I'm curious about the price for this FF Nex, since then we have some idea about the cost for the sensor for the consumer. This will probably be a Nex-7 FF version and only the sensor making it more expensive.
08-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As far as a Pentax opportunity missed I think this reflects in the availability of an FF sensor. Sony makes them so breaks open this market. Everything I have researched points to a limited supply of acceptable performance sensors with Sony having the lock. Ricoh bought a camera manufacturer, not a sensor manufacturer.

Last edited by Aristophanes; 08-17-2012 at 02:13 PM.
08-17-2012, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Ricoh bought a camera manufacturer, not a sensor manufacturer.
Aristophanes, I know you see the problem in the supply.

But as you do know too, I am less pessimistic. If Sony, Canon, Nikon, Aptina, Dalsa, Truesense and soon STMicroelectronics all can do full frame sensors then it shouldn't be a problem at all for Pentax to ink a contract with Sony who want to remain sensor market leader. Even more than they want to gain camera market share.

BTW, if this move by Sony turns out true than it would strenghten my opinion that the Sony SLT technology is (only) a migration aid to shift their reflex market to the E-mount. Because then, it would be a strategic mistake for them to offer the full frame A-99 without, at the same time, to offer a full frame NEX-9 too. They would have to come in pairs until SLT is obsoleted.

Last edited by falconeye; 08-17-2012 at 11:00 AM.
08-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Ricoh bought a camera manufacturer, not a sensor manufacturer.
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
If Sony, Canon, Nikon, Aptina, Dalsa, Truesense and soon STMicroelectronics all can do full frame sensors then it shouldn't be a problem at all for Pentax to ink a contract with Sony who want to remain sensor market leader.
Or make a deal with one off the other sensor makers and have a special designed sensor for Pentax.
08-17-2012, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Or make a deal with one off the other sensor makers and have a special designed sensor for Pentax.
They may do so with STMicroelectronics for the 645DmkII. But I hope they stay with the best for K-mount (Sony). Samsung should have tought them this lesson.
08-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

SAR had last winter an SR4 rumor about a full frame Sony with a hybrid mount coming this year. A camera that could mount both A lenses (using full frame) and E lenses (cropped) with no adapter. Interesting to see if either of these rumors are correct and if it's the same rumored camera.

EDIT: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-sony-approves-the-launch-the-new-hyrbid-a...llframe-nex-7/

08-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
SAR had last winter an SR4 rumor about a full frame Sony with a hybrid mount coming this year. A camera that could mount both A lenses (using full frame) and E lenses (cropped) with no adapter. Interesting to see if either of these rumors are correct and if it's the same rumored camera.

EDIT: (SR4) Sony “approves” the launch the new hybrid AlphaNex mount camera (sort of fullframe NEX-7!) | sonyalpharumors
Interesting comment

I found an update: Rumor roundup: Fixed lens APS-C camera to be announced in Summer. Hybrid E-A mount cam in 2013. | sonyalpharumors

So, the rumor isn't dead yet.

However, I think it doesn't make sense technically. I would find it more credible if it meant to mean some kind of slim (no phase AF) low cost adapters (to be mounted to alpha lenses meant to be sticky). This would make sense because current E lenses aren't full frame. So, such a part to accompany each Alpha full frame lens (for free when purchased new?) would solve the lack of lenses problems for a full frame NEX. And that would make sense and is kind of credible. Because technically feasible and marketing-wise still of the "all Alpha lenses mount w/o adapter" category.
08-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If you combine all the rumours, we have:

NEX-5R and NEX-6 in late Aug with PDAF on the sensor

A99 full frame in Sep with SLT

So ... 2013 for a full frame hybrid A and E mount camera with PDAF on the sensor?

Hopefully that sort of camera will support three modes of shooting:
- portable shooting with E mount and consumer grade quality
- high quality with A mount
- high quality and portability with M mount, but no AF

If Sony pulls this off it would be interesting indeed. Would explain why sonyalpharumors also said there will be no NEX-7 replacement this year. With that sort of roadmap, there would be no point.
08-17-2012, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #10
Banned

I do wonder how they can make the (ultra) wide-angel lenses work when they already are in trouble working them on the aps-c Nex 7?
08-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I do wonder how they can make the (ultra) wide-angel lenses work when they already are in trouble working them on the aps-c Nex 7?
The 7 sensor array was never set up to work with UWA lenses like the 5N was. So, it's possible with the proper design elements in place. Time will tell, both if the rumor is true and if UWA is possible on a FF NEX sensor.
08-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I do hope this is true. I might not be able to afford it right away, as I am trying to buy a house, but I'd buy it as soon as I'm able. I am kind of upset that I just bought the viewfinder for my 5N now.
08-17-2012, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I do hope this is true. I might not be able to afford it right away, as I am trying to buy a house, but I'd buy it as soon as I'm able. I am kind of upset that I just bought the viewfinder for my 5N now.
Well, it is probably 6 months to a year out anyway, if true at all. Use the EVF in good health until then.
08-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I hope this is real.

A FF NEX-7 would be the digital LX Pentax could not be bothered to make.

Back when Pentax had the K100D, and the K10D, and Sony only had the A100, I never would have guessed that it would be Sony that would be coming out with new and innovative cameras, while Pentax would be just trying to stay in the game.
08-18-2012, 02:46 AM   #15
Zav
Pentaxian

Oh yes, finally a convenient way to use Pentax lenses on a 24x36 sensor without buying a Leica!