Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I Really Debated On This One But...

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

All week I was watching this auction on Goodwill and wondering if I should go for it or not. If this was lens fungus or spashes I'd be dealing with. I'd half decided I wasn't going to bid but then I saw the auction was ending with a minute to go and it was at like $5. Shipping was very low to me so I decided to risk it and bid $20 and what do you know I won the whole thing for all of $7 plus change.

With shipping it's still quite a bit less than $20 so I'm not too worried about the outcome here. I think the 50mm looks fine and I've been curious for a while now about that 200MM Viv. I almost had that one before but that auction got pulled on me due to damage so if it's not fungus ridden I guess that will be cool. The Viv 220 SL is supposed to be a good camera from what I am reading but honestly I don't care if it works or not. I got this lot for the 2 lenses and there's a tele-converter as well.

I'm looking at that camera and what I am seeing is tons of grime not fungus. Mud to be specific. I'm betting that when I clean that 200mm off it will look pretty good. What do you think? Worth the $$$$ to try? It looks to me like it got splashed with muddy water?

Last edited by magkelly; 05-20-2015 at 10:47 AM.
11-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That was a great find. If none of it is good what are you out of? Yet if that Viv 200 is good you've got a nice lens for next to nothing. I always take the chance when it's just a few dollars, I sure waste more than that on stupid things like sodas etc.

Let us know how it cleans up!
11-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Turns out I totally scored!!!!!! Yay!!!!!

The case is one of those beautiful vintage full leather Fidelity cases, plush gold interior ultra clean and still fully plush. The exterior is also near pristine. Camera too, except for some major top brassing. Even the light seals are fresh it looks like and it even has the hot shoe cover on it. Either the previous owner never used this camera more than a couple of times or he kept it like it was his/her own baby child. I'm guessing he/she probably got ticked how easily the paint comes off and found another M42 body. The camera is solid otherwise, very well made, but all I had to do was attempt to wipe off some dust and I ended up taking off more paint. It's got a piss poor paint job for such an otherwise nice camera.

Underneath is solid brass you can see it under the paint. It's an all metal body, solid, about the size of a Spottie, maybe just a bit thinner and smaller and looks to work fine sans battery. Takes a 625 hearing aid battery from what I understand so I'm going to have to go find me some. They're pretty common though so no problems there. But other than the worst black paint job I've ever seen this is a really sweet camera in VG condition.

Lenses? I was absolutely right. The 200mm had a bit of what looked like dirt on it so I took a bit of lens cleaner and cleaned it. Came right off and otherwise all these lenses are all in pristine condition just like the camera. No lens critters, hardly any dust even. Again, they look almost unused. The 2x-1 Auto Tele is full metal and looks really nice. I put it on the 50mm and there was no darkening at all. In fact the 50mm was almost as sharp with it on as off, which in my experience isn't usually the case with converters. This one looks like it might be as good as the dedicated one that came with my 75-150mm so I think I lucked out there. It's much better than any of the later ones I have except that dedicated one which is also full metal et all. 50mm, also pristine and contrary to some reviews that I read it looks very sharp to me besides. One reviewer described this lens as mediocre. All I can say is he must have had a crappy copy because even just playing with it for a few minutes I can see that it's very sharp. I'm going to have to try it out on my K-x but I have a strong feeling this one is a good one!

So for about $20, shipping included I just got a total wonder of an M42 kit. This is why I frequent Goodwill. Holy SHIZ, I got so lucky it was absurd. The vintage leather case would go for what I paid for the whole kit I am sure. I didn't think that was the real deal actually. Thought it was likely a rip off patent version but no, it's solid hand tooled leather. I'm totally pleased with that because I've long coveted one of those cases as being the only case worthy of a black SPII. Well, now I finally have both. A black SPII and the case it should be kept in. There's enough room for the black KX too so my black beauties now have a really, really nice kit case.

Pics from the lenses later. I've got to spend some time checking them out today...

This is the kind of case but there's nothing "faux" about this one. I'm guessing they switched to fake leather later or had two versions a patent and a more expensive real leather one? But this is what it looks like except mine is black as you can see in the pic above. I can see mine is real leather though and it's got a faint "genuine leather" under the strap. Seller wants $30 for his patent version...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Fidelity-Faux-Leather-Camera-Case-Made-USA-/300778504209

This is a bit confusing. This auction calls it ranchyde, but mine doesn't say that. It says "genuine leather" under the strap. Strap looks original to me. Doesn't look much different from the pic in this auction though to me. I honestly can't tell one from the other if that is fake it's a good fake...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-NEW-old-stock-Fidelity-Genuine-Ranchyde-Camera-C...p2047675.l2557

Last edited by magkelly; 11-15-2012 at 12:25 PM.
11-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

That model Viv 200 is very sharp stopped down -- fringes blue at 3.5 though. It is quite common but worth maybe $15-$20 by itself. The rest of the stuff isn't really worth anything on the used market, but that doesn't mean it isn't decent anyway...

11-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I have that same Komine made Vivitar 200mm, at f5.6 it is pretty good. It is very heavy though, not much difference between it and my 70-210mm zoom, so if I need the reach I usually carry the zoom. The built in hood is a little small, but it is better than nothing. Coincidentally, mine came from Goodwill too, the local store though.
11-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
Forum Member

What is this Goodwill auction site you speak of???
11-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pixley Quote
What is this Goodwill auction site you speak of???
shopgoodwill.com - Welcome

11-18-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
Forum Member

Google is a great tool - I didnt think it would be that simple!