Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #1

Nikon D7000/D300 "digital filters"

Does anyone know if either the Nikon D7000 or D300 (not "s") have the "digital filters" such as found in the Pentax K-5, which allow several various special effects (i.e. "Toy Camera") to be applied to the image? I have researched both Nikon models on DP Review and Photo.net and can't find any reference to that function in the Nikons.

Does Lightroom 4 allow the application of similar special effects? I have the program but have not installed nor researched it yet.

Thanks.

01-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't think Lightroom has the Toy Camera effect, but it certainly has the majority of the other effects that I have on my k-x.
01-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you shoot with a higher end camera like those, or the K-5, you probably want to shoot in raw and avoid those effects. You can add them in Lightroom (download presets, or just do it manually) or photoshop or gimp.
01-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I saw the digital filter effects available in the K-5 review and thought they would be fun to play with in JPEG occassionally. I have a K10D and am considering either a K-5 or D7000 level camera and would shoot more RAW and use my LR4 program to PP if I go that route.

01-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think most tests show the K-5 being slightly better than the D7000. And if you already have any Pentax glass..
With LR4 you can do things like colour filters, gradients, cross processing split toning, changing hue, and so on. Check out some of the websites that offer free lightroom presets, just to get a taste of what they are capable of. Lightroom can also fix chromatic aberrations and lens distortion, edit colours and brightness, sharpen the photo and remove noise. Most raw editors can do these things.
If you want to really edit the photo, like change shapes and textures, then you will need an imaging software like Photoshop.
01-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks Na! I have reviewed the K-5 and D7000 to death, and will probably go with the K-5. Most of my shooting is outdoors with landscapes and wildlife (as well as my own cats!) being my main areas of interest. I like to hike and carry a camera, and I like the size and weight of the K-5. I have both LR4 and an older version of Photoshop and will install them this weekend. I have used Photoshop some in the past and know that both programs offer many more features than I will ever be able to understand. I shoot mostly JPEG but am getting more interested in playing with images in post-processing, and printing. I can obviously shoot RAW with my K10D too! Thanks for the advice; I have seen that there is a lot of instructional material available on line, and I'll just have to sit down and start studying! Take care.
01-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K-5 and D7000 are two of the toughest decisions to make when choosing between a semi-pro body. I almost converted to Nikon because of the D7000 but due to the fact that the K-5 was slightly cheaper at the time won it out for me. Now I am glad I chose the K-5 because my friend has a D7000 and I just couldn't get used to having buttons on the left side of the camera and having to use two hands to configure around it. With the K-5 I am able to keep one hand on the lens and use my right hand only to navigate through the camera. That's all because all the buttons are on the right hand side of the K-5. It really all comes down to whichever feels best. Though I still to this day envy the dual SD slot offered by the D7000 of which the K-5 does not boast.

01-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
The K-5 and D7000 are two of the toughest decisions to make when choosing between a semi-pro body. I almost converted to Nikon because of the D7000 but due to the fact that the K-5 was slightly cheaper at the time won it out for me. Now I am glad I chose the K-5 because my friend has a D7000 and I just couldn't get used to having buttons on the left side of the camera and having to use two hands to configure around it. With the K-5 I am able to keep one hand on the lens and use my right hand only to navigate through the camera. That's all because all the buttons are on the right hand side of the K-5. It really all comes down to whichever feels best. Though I still to this day envy the dual SD slot offered by the D7000 of which the K-5 does not boast.
I also liked the dual SD slot feature, as well as being able to incorporate text in the images., but for my level of expertise and involvement, those features would probably just be novelties. I really don't have any desire to shoot video, although I am sure I would play with it if I bought a camera with video capabilities. My analysis is that the D7000 probably has better (define better!)--i.e. quicker and more accurate--AF, especially in low light, but I don't shoot "action" stuff, and I don't need to take photos in a dark night club. I handled both cameras a couple of different times in the last few days and the K-5 just seems to fit better. I also like the controls since the are probably similar to my K10D. I think I would have to go back to school and get an EE degree to fully utilize the D7000!