Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2013, 07:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Speed Booster Adapter

What do people think about this?

Metabones announces 'Speed Booster' lens adapter for mirrorless cameras: Digital Photography Review

Speed Bootster adapter for NEX, MFT and Fuji X mount. | Mirrorless Rumors

This could make a 31mm F//1.8 work like a 22mm F/1.2 on a Fuji X-mount (assuming my math is right).

01-14-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
What do people think about this?

Metabones announces 'Speed Booster' lens adapter for mirrorless cameras: Digital Photography Review

Speed Bootster adapter for NEX, MFT and Fuji X mount. | Mirrorless Rumors

This could make a 31mm F//1.8 work like a 22mm F/1.2 on a Fuji X-mount (assuming my math is right).
Pretty much, it's a reverse Teleconverter. If it works the way they say it will, it will provide the extra stops while making the lens wider. What could be better?

I'd seriously consider one for my Micro 4/3 mirrorless. Adapting normals and telephotos to a smaller-sensor camera is great, but you have to go really stinking wide to get a "wide" lens for FF or APS that is still wide on Micro 4/3.

I'm skeptical about the DOF claims, except that I think a 50/1.4 has shallower DOF than a 35/1.0 anyway, since shallow DOF control goes away as focal length decreases.
01-14-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
Pretty much, it's a reverse Teleconverter. If it works the way they say it will, it will provide the extra stops while making the lens wider. What could be better?

I'd seriously consider one for my Micro 4/3 mirrorless. Adapting normals and telephotos to a smaller-sensor camera is great, but you have to go really stinking wide to get a "wide" lens for FF or APS that is still wide on Micro 4/3.

I'm skeptical about the DOF claims, except that I think a 50/1.4 has shallower DOF than a 35/1.0 anyway, since shallow DOF control goes away as focal length decreases.
Yeah, but in the same way that an tele-converter degrades IQ this would improve IQ if their statements are true. The speed and improved IQ would be more important than DOF. Having my 31mm work like a 22mm F/1.2 and produce sharper images sounds pretty good. I have been looking at Fuji X-mount system and waiting for RAW support (which was released to day with the new CP1). I'm sure it will be a while before a K-mount to X-mount is available, so I'll have plenty of time to read test reports.
01-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'll maybe get excited if they release a Leica M version.

01-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
Leica M lenses, Leica M camera, or both?

I"m not sure how you'd keep the Rangefinder coupled.
01-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
Leica M lenses, Leica M camera, or both?

I"m not sure how you'd keep the Rangefinder coupled.
I'm sure he means M lenses. Fuji released their own M to X mount adapter, so that is a target market. I'm sure Metabones will also release a M to X adapter. For a camera like the X-E1 it would be great.
01-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Interesting... I'd like to see if a 'one-size-fits-all' solution manages to give decent IQ with anything, but we shall see. As has been mentioned elsewhere, a lot of people reckon that this is what Olympus did with the optically phenomenal Zuiko 12-35/f2 and 35-100/f2 zooms, although in that case all the design and optics were integrated...

Funny how so many people have claimed that this is some weird kind of magic sorcery and obviously impossible

01-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm sure he means M lenses. Fuji released their own M to X mount adapter, so that is a target market. I'm sure Metabones will also release a M to X adapter. For a camera like the X-E1 it would be great.
Yes, M lenses on m43/NEX/Fuji and maybe Samsung as well. Should be pretty simple, basically a typical dumb adapter with the optics in it.
01-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Faster, Wider, Sharper: Speed Booster for your X-series | Fuji Rumors
01-14-2013, 07:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It does not look like there is a K-mount planned. None listed.
01-14-2013, 10:24 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
I don't think it's possible to make a "speed booster" for Leica M-mount lenses, as Leica M use much shorter register distance than SLR.
01-14-2013, 10:30 PM   #12
Banned

It does not look like there is a K-mount planned. None listed.
They'll get there once they get their sales going.
01-14-2013, 10:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I don't think it's possible to make a "speed booster" for Leica M-mount lenses, as Leica M use much shorter register distance than SLR.
Possibly not, but since there are optical element(s) involved I'm not too sure. As it sits the Speed Booster is shorter than a standard NEX adapter so a slightly longer M mount adapter should be possible.

But I'm no optical engineer, and it probably wouldn't be cost effective anyway. Oh well!
01-14-2013, 10:43 PM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I think so too. There is just about 1cm difference between E mount (for example) and M mount and I don't see how you can shorten that and have an optical element in there too.
01-14-2013, 11:05 PM   #15
Pentaxian

And to make it even more difficult, most Leica M wide angle lenses has a rear lens element that protrudes into the lens mount.