Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #61
Veteran Member

How many times has a polycarb camera fell apart, cracked, broken etc (without negligence such as dropping it from a height of 6 feet onto a concrete floor) ? I bet you the number is around 0.
Just because an item feels heavier or less "flimsy" does not make it better. People spend their entire careers making materials lighter that will do the equivalent job.

02-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think this will do for wildlife or sports with 6FPS and 6 raw buffer. It looks good otherwise. (not for me though)
02-22-2013, 10:58 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
I don't think this will do for wildlife or sports with 6FPS and 6 raw buffer. It looks good otherwise. (not for me though)
As someone else said, the buffer size isn't the showstopper, it's how fast it can clear the buffer, which is yet to be seen.
02-23-2013, 04:09 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
As someone else said, the buffer size isn't the showstopper, it's how fast it can clear the buffer, which is yet to be seen.
I think they are leaving plenty of room for the d400, as they should. (I'm waiting for a 7dII)

02-23-2013, 10:40 PM - 1 Like   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
I tried the D600 for awhile (which also only has metal on the top and rear. Personally, I thought it was flimsy. Esp. on the bottom on the tripod mount. The K5 and D800 are MUCH studier. I know plastic can be quite strong, but if I'm spending $1k+ on a body, I want metal on those places---especially on the front of the camera if I'm mounting heavy glass. That's just my preference though. I'm sure that most users would not have any issue.

I would be less worry about the plastic plate for large glass as both the D7000 and K5 still have their lens mount anchored to the cameras body via a plastic plate under the mount. Any sturdiness felt in the K5 has nothing to do with how the mount is attached to the sub frame but just a tactile feel of the alloy plate on the front of the body.
02-24-2013, 04:49 AM   #66
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My K-5 toppled over whilst mounted on a tripod at 1.8m due to a gust of wind whilst I was sifting in the camera bag looking for a lens. The camera took a direct hit onto the corner where the mode dial is and fortunately did not involve the lens that was mounted on it. A dent in the mode dial and a couple of corner scratches were the extent if damage. I like to consider myself fortunate no further damage was done, but I have often wondered how many other cameras would have survived that fall. I'm thinking close to none.
02-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Do you guys remember back in the K10D days, when most of the "polly" vs "alloy" talk was for the polly body of the K10D, and pentaxians felt that the alloy bodies of the D300 and 40D were overkill?

Also note that the back of the K-5 is polly.

02-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
My K-5 toppled over whilst mounted on a tripod at 1.8m due to a gust of wind whilst I was sifting in the camera bag looking for a lens. The camera took a direct hit onto the corner where the mode dial is and fortunately did not involve the lens that was mounted on it. A dent in the mode dial and a couple of corner scratches were the extent if damage. I like to consider myself fortunate no further damage was done, but I have often wondered how many other cameras would have survived that fall. I'm thinking close to none.
Ash, in your example, a D7100 would have been okay as well since the top plate is magnesium alloy just like the K5. Now I don't think the build or weather sealing is up to K5 (or D300) levels but you probably would have experienced the same thing with a D7xxx.
02-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
6FPS is plenty fast enough by a large margin, that's about 3FPS faster than what the majority of wildlife photographers need. The write/flush speed as noted by dwb is key, I couldn't begin to tell you how many times my K5 has had buffer overload and has almost halted...
02-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Counterpoint:

My Nikon D700, with the Samyang 35mm f/1.4 attached, fell over and landed hard on the filter ring of the lens, with all the camera's weight behind it. The plastic was dented and the focusing ring stuck a bit at first, but I was able to smooth it back out with use and it still performs perfectly today.
02-25-2013, 11:40 PM   #71
axl
Veteran Member

To aloy vs pol debate, I had 1D3 rolling down the metal stairs of escaltor. Full length of it some 8-10m, apparently step by step. It had EF28/1.8 attacched. Lens ended up a bit wobbly but fully functional (I ended up having it repaired and soldy) and camera had few light scratches onbody. No dents or such. I have to say considering the weight of 1D3 I was amazed and I doubt my old K10 or K-7 would have managed to surive this incident so well...

PS: I didn't drop the camera. It fell out of the pram when Mrs pushed it onto the escalator. I only know of this story from her account of it
02-26-2013, 02:35 AM   #72
Veteran Member

You guys are making me nervous...8-( ;-)
04-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Comparisons are out:

Nikon D7100 Hands-on Preview: Digital Photography Review

honestly, It looks like the D7100 images are like.. upsized K-5 IIs images. Well, that's all I can say IQ-wise. They look really close, just jumped from 16 to 24mp.

Though I believe the D7100 is a lot lot faster than the IIs....
04-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #74
Veteran Member

K-5IIs images are definitely quieter for noise...
04-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
K-5IIs images are definitely quieter for noise...
Yeah, looks like between 1 to 2 stops better at noise.