Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 500 Likes Search this Thread
04-26-2013, 04:19 AM   #31
bvg
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A very good picture for iso6400. ISO6400 at sd1M is complete rubbish.

04-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #32
bvg
Veteran Member

He-he. Yes, if to use maximum nois reduction and wb in SPP5 then it looks like that, even colours are not so bad.
04-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DavidOBryan Quote
For future reference here is the color version of the above pic. Crazy colors.
Actually this looks OK to me. Looks aged. Kind of like an old print out a cheap film camera. It's a very hip look nowadays.
04-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #34
bvg
Veteran Member

Maybe inside camera PP is more intensive in DP2M. Retro...looks like wrong temperature at processing

Old mill
by vld_bzh, on Flickr

Last edited by bvg; 04-27-2013 at 10:20 PM.
04-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #35
bvg
Veteran Member

04-29-2013, 04:28 AM   #36
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
I still hate the hoops I have to jump through to get the pictures out of Sigma's awful software. Every time I think I have it figured out, I'll do something that upsets it, and
I've only had that issue appear once; and ironically could not duplicate it again. I was generally wondering how often it might effect you?

Mind if I also inquire as to which version of Windows, and possibly what your general Windows Experience Index might be? Might I also suggest posting onto Microsoft forums; I've found that they can address just about anything and even address patches to fix most any problem - even if it is not Microsoft software.
04-29-2013, 07:06 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
I've only had that issue appear once; and ironically could not duplicate it again. I was generally wondering how often it might effect you?

Mind if I also inquire as to which version of Windows, and possibly what your general Windows Experience Index might be? Might I also suggest posting onto Microsoft forums; I've found that they can address just about anything and even address patches to fix most any problem - even if it is not Microsoft software.
To tell the truth, the program has completely crashed only once. It was the first time I had run the program, processing the first picture I had ever taken. Not a good sign of things to come. A problem I get much more often, usually every few minutes, is when I'm changing the processing settings (usually noise reduction). A generic "processing error" will appear, and I'm not allowed to open that picture again until I restart the program.

Believe me, it's not an issue with my computer. It's a gaming computer I built two years ago, with a solid-state drive, Core i7 2600K processor, and dual Radeon HD 6870 graphics cards. All that, and SPP is still painfully slow. I have Windows 8, and SPP is one of a very small number of programs that have ever crashed since I installed Windows 8 in November. Most of the other crashes were old and/or modified games, which is par for the course.

04-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SPP 5.5 runs fairly well on my beefed up iMac ("core i7" 3.4Ghz, 16gigs RAM), but obviously much slower than ACR or Lightroom. I think I've only had one crash, and a few "infinite spinning beachball" hangs... almost always when I load a full-res and start slapping around the setting sliders. The minimal work I do (applying WB and turning off sharpening and chroma NR) before saving as a 16-bit TIFF never seems to stress it out much.

Having worked in the pro imaging software world for a long while, I can tell it just hasn't been optimized for throwing around the data the sensor produces. Honestly, SPP is such a poor post-processing tool (not even any cropping or rotation adjustments!), that it really is just a file converter. There probably just isn't the staff or expertise available at Foveon or Sigma to get it up to modern speeds. I think that's why most of us await full Adobe .X3F support with baited breath (even if their NR and sharpening tools aren't ideal for a Foveon image).

I use Bridge to get my files off the card, then use "Open With..." to get them into SPP, and then save the TIFFs which I open in ACR for real (non-destructive) tweaks. And to keep the thread going with images, here is a recent "bud and (f/8) bokeh" shot from my DP2M:

04-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #39
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
To tell the truth, the program has completely crashed only once. It was the first time I had run the program, processing the first picture I had ever taken. Not a good sign of things to come. A problem I get much more often, usually every few minutes, is when I'm changing the processing settings (usually noise reduction). A generic "processing error" will appear, and I'm not allowed to open that picture again until I restart the program.

Believe me, it's not an issue with my computer. It's a gaming computer I built two years ago, with a solid-state drive, Core i7 2600K processor, and dual Radeon HD 6870 graphics cards. All that, and SPP is still painfully slow. I have Windows 8, and SPP is one of a very small number of programs that have ever crashed since I installed Windows 8 in November. Most of the other crashes were old and/or modified games, which is par for the course.
On a strange but interesting note; I could fix t if it were on W7, but have not yet been able to address all concerns with W8 just yet. But I would still strongly suggest the Microsoft Forums; as surely there has to be someone with a programming level that can make a fix that would go between W8 and this version of "pic editing". Also, have you sent in your concerns to Sigma yet?
04-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
I would still strongly suggest the Microsoft Forums; as surely there has to be someone with a programming level that can make a fix that would go between W8 and this version of "pic editing". Also, have you sent in your concerns to Sigma yet?
I've figured out a workflow that mostly keeps the errors at bay. I'll tell Sigma about my concerns... eventually...

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
And to keep the thread going with images
Right, lest we forget what the thread is for. All that nonsense with SPP just makes you enjoy the end result more, doesn't it?

Desert morning:

A place in the shade. It was 103° today. Bleh.

The cacti are in bloom this time of year. One of you guys with the SD1 really needs to slap a 180mm macro on there. There is some serious untapped potential here.

@David, I heard you like chickens. Sorry, this is the best I could do. Actually, considering the region I'm in, that might be a roadrunner...

04-30-2013, 04:17 AM   #41
bvg
Veteran Member

Very good pictures.
I like Foveon sensor for terrific half-lights and sharpness (despite its limited DR, similar to Canon 7D). Because of limited DR, it is not very good at contrast scenes, so I am going to try anti-contrast filters, it should work. He-he, my superzoom has some white dust on glass inside that works like a good anti-contrast filter and shows good results at the cetre area.
Magenta cast is a common problem of my pictures so I do not think it crushes SPP. SPP is not good but has useful features like showing blown areas, adjusting exposure, contrast and light, group conversion to tiff16 . I run SPP on 2yo laptop with i5 2.27 GHz processor and the main problem is memory (1.74 GB).
04-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #42
bvg
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DavidOBryan Quote
This is an example of what I was talking about.
Oops, that is a real magenta!
05-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #43
bvg
Veteran Member

St. John's Cathedral
by vld_bzh, on Flickr
05-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Boy you really nailed that church shot. It's even more impressive large size. If there was Henry's nearby with one in stock I'd probably go out and just buy one. Lack of proximinty is all that's saving my credit limit.

Last edited by normhead; 05-03-2013 at 10:56 AM.
05-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Boy you really nailed that church shot. It's even more impressive large size. I there was Henry's nearby with one in stock I'd probably go out and just buy one. Lack of proximinty is all that's saving my credit limit.
Don't worry, Henry's doesn't stock SD1s at all (special order), so proximity isn't the only thing saving you!

On the other hand, if you want to try out the same sensor in a fixed-lens compact DP2M, come on down this weekend!