Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 490 Likes Search this Thread
03-24-2014, 04:27 PM   #496
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Fantastic photo - and lovely to see the Singapore skyline in the background.
QuoteOriginally posted by camerons Quote
I haven't noticed anything ground breaking with the new firmware. Startup time is probably more reliable and constant.

Great shots all.

- Love the wide angle shot of the city scape pinholecam.
- I thought that turtle was in the air on my phone too Christine
- Great action shot Malfunction

Thanks.

03-25-2014, 02:57 PM   #497

Wow, amazing photos there Malfunction and camerons!

Sometimes mistakes turn out okay. This one was horribly overexposed because I had the camera at the wrong setting, but I ended up liking it:

The correctly exposed version doesn't seem to be as striking:
I actually go for a similar style of shot with my cats out in the front sunroom where there is usually high contrast. I've gone for the same effect you've gotten in PP to bring out the markings in the coat. So yes, I like the mistake.

QuoteOriginally posted by Malfunction Quote
Fabulous landscape camerons , what lens did you use ?

The big cat looks very dramatic in mono Christine , made a similar mistake today on
a not so big cat lol

This is Sidney , i guess he has about three families throughout the neighborhood , that
hes adopted , he belonged to a old lady who sadly died a few years ago

Lovely cat shot. Beautiful light on the fur and the lovely little bokeh balls on the longer fur in the background is great.

Thanks. It is a pano taken with the Leica Elmarit-R 60mm.

Here is the latest edit. Any C&C appreciated.

Last edited by camerons; 03-25-2014 at 03:09 PM.
03-25-2014, 03:14 PM   #498
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Malfunction Quote
This is Sidney , i guess he has about three families throughout the neighborhood , that
hes adopted , he belonged to a old lady who sadly died a few years ago
Aww ... what a regal pose!

---------- Post added 03-26-2014 at 09:15 AM ----------

Thanks. It is a pano taken with the Leica Elmarit-R 60mm.

Here is the latest edit. Any C&C appreciated.
Suggestion - bring out the rays of the sun more? They are lovely - reminiscent of a painting.
03-25-2014, 10:04 PM   #499

Aww ... what a regal pose!

---------- Post added 03-26-2014 at 09:15 AM ----------

Suggestion - bring out the rays of the sun more? They are lovely - reminiscent of a painting.
Any suggestions on how to do this? Maybe increase the contrast just in the clear part of the sky? I'm still learning with post-processing and mainly only use LR. PS is a bit scary.

PS. Got my refund from Grays online for the Tamron lens today. Now trying to sell the LA-EA4. If anyone is keen I'm selling for $250AUD. I wouldn't recommend it as your primary option (like I was hoping to use it), but if you have some Minolta or Sony A lenses this is a good price to give it a go.

Last edited by camerons; 03-25-2014 at 10:12 PM.
03-25-2014, 11:01 PM   #500
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Any suggestions on how to do this? Maybe increase the contrast just in the clear part of the sky? I'm still learning with post-processing and mainly only use LR. PS is a bit scary.
Give the graduated filters a bit of a go, maybe play with the colour balances.

The bottom half of the picture is fine, so you probably don't want to apply a global setting.

If you do want to play with a global setting, start with a preset like Direct Positive or Old Polar (in Lightroom Color Presets) and go from there.

Yes, you can also play with layers in Photoshop but personally I wouldn't bother. The effect you probably want is subtle rather than garish.
03-26-2014, 03:02 AM   #501

Give the graduated filters a bit of a go, maybe play with the colour balances.

The bottom half of the picture is fine, so you probably don't want to apply a global setting.

If you do want to play with a global setting, start with a preset like Direct Positive or Old Polar (in Lightroom Color Presets) and go from there.

Yes, you can also play with layers in Photoshop but personally I wouldn't bother. The effect you probably want is subtle rather than garish.
Ta. Yeah, I've got various graduated and selective filters on it already. I'll try fiddling with the colour balance on the top half.
03-26-2014, 11:56 AM   #502
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ta. Yeah, I've got various graduated and selective filters on it already. I'll try fiddling with the colour balance on the top half.
Sorry if I was telling you how to suck eggs

You should be able to manipulate the colour channels separately using a graduated filter. Take a look at the parameters in Direct Positive and Old Polar, and create a graduated filter version of the adjustments. That should bring out the yellow/orange of the sun rays.

03-26-2014, 01:52 PM - 2 Likes   #503

Part of a little road trip i did to some Maori town here in New Zealand check the whole series here
03-26-2014, 09:59 PM - 1 Like   #504

Sorry if I was telling you how to suck eggs

You should be able to manipulate the colour channels separately using a graduated filter. Take a look at the parameters in Direct Positive and Old Polar, and create a graduated filter version of the adjustments. That should bring out the yellow/orange of the sun rays.
No problem at all. Thanks. I'll give that a try.

QuoteOriginally posted by chrisnmn Quote

Part of a little road trip i did to some Maori town here in New Zealand check the whole series here
Love the one of the seagulls.
03-27-2014, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #505
Pentaxian

03-27-2014, 07:06 AM   #506

ILCE-7R (iso 2000) + Voigtlander Nokton 35/1.2II (wide open)

Last edited by Bondezire; 03-27-2014 at 07:18 AM.
03-27-2014, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #507
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chrisnmn Quote
Fantastic, and welcome to this thread.

Will be visiting Auckland in October - really looking forward to the trip.

---------- Post added 03-28-2014 at 07:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bondezire Quote
ILCE-7R (iso 2000) + Voigtlander Nokton 35/1.2II (wide open)
Welcome to the thread. Is that a train carriage? Nice upward angle!
03-27-2014, 03:48 PM   #508
Pentaxian

There is a helicoid adapter that is available in EOS mount that I think is worth mentioning and almost a must buy to me. (easily available on ebay)
Since the EOS mount has the shortest flange distance of modern cameras, all that is need is to add a Pentax/Nikon/Sony/etc adapter on it to use non EOS lenses.

It works like any normal adapter, but when extended allows close focusing.

Only downside is that the cheap adapters on ebay have a narrow throat on the inside than I have found can catch the light from the lens in flare type situations, resulting in the setup being more prone to flare.
03-28-2014, 11:14 AM   #509
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote

Only downside is that the cheap adapters on ebay have a narrow throat on the inside than I have found can catch the light from the lens in flare type situations, resulting in the setup being more prone to flare.
Thanks for the pics.

There has been some discussion on the potential for adapters to cause vignetting. I did test 3 top of the line M-mount adapters (Novoflex, Voigtlander, and the new Voigtlander close focusing) and found no significant differences, even though the original Voigtlander has a narrower throat compared to the other two.

However, it may have well been that I didn't test thoroughly enough.

I haven't encountered the flare/sensor reflection issues that you've discovered, so there may be something in your theory that it may be adapter related.
03-29-2014, 11:50 PM   #510
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The kiss