Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
12-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #31
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax makes damn good cameras with a great user interface, praised in review after review. If you want a Nikon, just get it, if anyone here cries, I will personally send them a box of Kleenex.
Regards!

12-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Dont get me wrong, pentax has a special part in my life. Its where I got started on this great journey of photography. Ive learned alot along the way. Still, I think we should ask ourselves why pentax has failed to achieve the same level of mainstream recognition that nikon and canon have largely enjoyed. As photographers, what matters to us the most? I would argue things like how good the shots are and how comfortable the cameras to hold. Pentax always seems like it has been behind the competition in terms of the basics. For example, it wasnt until 2010 when pentax had a camera with a proper live view mode was the K5 in 2010 where as nikon had this in 2007.

The fact that they are mainstream also obviously means they (nikon, canon, etc) also means they benefit from a much greater amount of info. Youtube is full of tutorials, tricks, etc for nikon cameras. Ive always felt like there was lack of info for pentax cameras. This is one of the downsides of being a niche camera markey.

Re: user friendliness, a good example of this is the af switch on pentax cameras (the one in the front). I often swtich from af to manal focus in the middle of the shoot and often when moving the switch from manual focus to af, the af isn't always activated because the switch isn't "all the way" in the af position. Its just a hassle to have to fiddle with the switch when i press the shutter button half way down. I have to take my focus off the viewfiner and in doing so, i lose my composition.

Let me google that for you

QuoteQuote:
+1 You got that right. Too many camera religious zealots these days.
I could care less about that. Its all about what helps me creatively. I was actually going to originally continue using pentax for the immediate future. I was going to upgrade to the K50 or perhaps the K3, but when I looked at what nikon offers, i started to think about getting a nikon instead. I think it is a little telling that, upon the release of any new pentax cameras, there are always seem to be numerous inquiries as to why it falls short. And then it invarablrly turns out that the user has to wade through a sea of menu options and adjust half a dozen things they would have no idea to look for.

QuoteQuote:
In comparison to the D3200, the K50 has a deeper buffer, faster fps, 100 percent penta prism viewfinder, dual control wheels and a sealed body. There are more things, but basically, to me, the K30/50 is a significantly better camera for still photography, the only thing the D3200 has on it is video.
I wouldnt think that buffer would matter as much a pentax's af systems are often too slow to track moving subjects. Image quality is something that pentax has always been reveared for it, but the D3200 also has significant better dynamic range. Even more so when active d lighting is turned on. I could have probably told you this without even checking on dpreview.com. In my first digita photo class that i took a few quarters ago, alot of people had nikons and ive been amazed at some of the image that ive seen that came straight out of the camera. It's also worth mentioning that the D3200 is probably better for taking vidoes that any camera in pentax's lineup, including the K3. Not saying that i am going to be getting the 3200 but it is impressive how much nikon has in an entry level camera. The d3200 has wi fi and hdmi, two things that with pentax you would have to pay over $1000 to get. Nikon had a camera with dual card slots with the D7000 whereas with pentax, we had to wait until 2013.

Also, what is with the burst shooting mode on the K20? Not the 3 fps one but the one that takes something like 2 mp images at 20 fps and then lets you put together all them in into a movie in an editing program. It was like pentax wanted to be able to claim that the K20 has a movie mode but didnt want to actually go the length of doing an actual movie mode. It just feels like with pentax you make too many compromises.
12-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Right Again!

Well, neostyles, again, anyone with even a bit of common sense couldn't possibly disagree with your logic.
You have nailed Pentax's failings completely and accurately, and may I say, in a most unbiased way. It is obvious you've spent considerable time gathering information, researching data from the most reliable sources and not just listening to one disgruntled user, but combining the most credible opinions to reach your conclusion.
All of this should have been apparent from your opening post, but I (unwisely) didn't see it. Now I do!
Don't waste any more time trying to decide whether the D3200 is the camera for you, it clearly is, and no product from Pentax can match it for features, ergonomics, performance and price.
Thank you for your many valuable contributions to this site, especially this highly enlightening thread.
Goodbye and good luck,
Ron
12-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Well, neostyles, again, anyone with even a bit of common sense couldn't possibly disagree with your logic.
You have nailed Pentax's failings completely and accurately, and may I say, in a most unbiased way. It is obvious you've spent considerable time gathering information, researching data from the most reliable sources and not just listening to one disgruntled user, but combining the most credible opinions to reach your conclusion.
All of this should have been apparent from your opening post, but I (unwisely) didn't see it. Now I do!
Don't waste any more time trying to decide whether the D3200 is the camera for you, it clearly is, and no product from Pentax can match it for features, ergonomics, performance and price.
Thank you for your many valuable contributions to this site, especially this highly enlightening thread.
Goodbye and good luck,
Ron
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.....

12-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Goodbye and good luck,
Ron

/sarcasm
ROFL

Fixed it for you...
12-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am a bit late joining into the party but here's my take:

To the OP: I think you already have made your decision, albeit perhaps subconsciously.

1. Find a lens that fits your purposes (already been discussed earlier) doesn't matter what brand.
2. Find the camera that will be the best fit to that said lens -- doesn't matter what brand.
3. Start shooting.

There are tons of good systems out there, and if Pentax (Ricoh) doesn't fit the bill anymore for you ... time to move on.

JP
12-16-2013, 09:42 PM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I really thought about switching to Nikon. Borrowed a D3100 (?) for a couple of days, and it really sucked. I missed the four way controller features, like WB, ISO, flash and drive mode. Press INFO button to go to a special menu with everything on it you need while actually shooting. I futzed around and figured out how to do that stuff in the menu, and I got bored and went back to my Pentax. How do you choose the AF mode in those anyway? I wanted single point center focus, and kept getting the dumb auto matrix set. Couldn't figure out how to turn the flash off, either. It kept popping up when I wanted low-light, no flash photography. Like I said, got bored, put it down, Pentax user interface of my K-30 is 1000% better than that Nikon.

It is absolutely true that the Nikon menu is better, and looks more modern. I'll even agree that the Pentax menu is midbogglingly unintuitive (AT FIRST). I don't care because with my K-30 I NEVER need the menu while shooting. As an example to change WB, i push the button that says WB (in huge white letters), pick which one I want, including 3 customizable manual WB modes, click OK, that's 2 button presses and a roll of the scroll wheel. Three steps all together. What is it in the 3200? Say I want Auto WB. Press menu, shooting menu, white balance, auto, click right to A5, click OK. Poke self in eye with a fork for being so stupid as to buy a menu driven camera. 6 steps instead of 3. I personally think that is NOT BETTER.

You do what you want, Nikons really are fine cameras. For me, I'd rather eat my own liver than buy a 3200.

12-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I really thought about switching to Nikon. Borrowed a D3100 (?) for a couple of days, and it really sucked. I missed the four way controller features, like WB, ISO, flash and drive mode. Press INFO button to go to a special menu with everything on it you need while actually shooting. I futzed around and figured out how to do that stuff in the menu, and I got bored and went back to my Pentax. How do you choose the AF mode in those anyway? I wanted single point center focus, and kept getting the dumb auto matrix set. Couldn't figure out how to turn the flash off, either. It kept popping up when I wanted low-light, no flash photography. Like I said, got bored, put it down, Pentax user interface of my K-30 is 1000% better than that Nikon.

It is absolutely true that the Nikon menu is better, and looks more modern. I'll even agree that the Pentax menu is midbogglingly unintuitive (AT FIRST). I don't care because with my K-30 I NEVER need the menu while shooting. As an example to change WB, i push the button that says WB (in huge white letters), pick which one I want, including 3 customizable manual WB modes, click OK, that's 2 button presses and a roll of the scroll wheel. Three steps all together. What is it in the 3200? Say I want Auto WB. Press menu, shooting menu, white balance, auto, click right to A5, click OK. Poke self in eye with a fork for being so stupid as to buy a menu driven camera. 6 steps instead of 3. I personally think that is NOT BETTER.

You do what you want, Nikons really are fine cameras. For me, I'd rather eat my own liver than buy a 3200.
Well said good sir!
12-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I mean, like I said, pentax will always have a special place in my heart. They are pretty good cameras for hobbyists and are a great way to pick up the basics of photography. I think the "honest" feel of their cameras really lends to this. But, imho, nikon/canon are better for those who want to do photography professionally. If anything, its that my passion for photography has led me to want to pursue it professionally and pentax isnt exactly industry standard.

QuoteQuote:
I absolutely agree with you here about the beginning part. I think it shows that pentax could really be so much more and probably get more recognition if they modernized their lineup.
12-17-2013, 12:41 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote

I wouldnt think that buffer would matter as much a pentax's af systems are often too slow to track moving subjects. Image quality is something that pentax has always been reveared for it, but the D3200 also has significant better dynamic range. Even more so when active d lighting is turned on. I could have probably told you this without even checking on dpreview.com. In my first digita photo class that i took a few quarters ago, alot of people had nikons and ive been amazed at some of the image that ive seen that came straight out of the camera. It's also worth mentioning that the D3200 is probably better for taking vidoes that any camera in pentax's lineup, including the K3. Not saying that i am going to be getting the 3200 but it is impressive how much nikon has in an entry level camera. The d3200 has wi fi and hdmi, two things that with pentax you would have to pay over $1000 to get. Nikon had a camera with dual card slots with the D7000 whereas with pentax, we had to wait until 2013.
Are you still comparing your old camera to a current gen Nikon? Much has changed in those years, to the point we are starting to see diminishing returns of development. Besides the video, none of what you have said if comparing apples with apples is correct.

Score - Nikon D3200 vs Pentax K-50

Snapsort gives a fairly comprehensive win to the K-50
12-17-2013, 02:42 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
1. Re: user friendliness, a good example of this is the af switch on pentax cameras (the one in the front). I often swtich from af to manal focus in the middle of the shoot and often when moving the switch from manual focus to af, the af isn't always activated because the switch isn't "all the way" in the af position. Its just a hassle to have to fiddle with the switch when i press the shutter button half way down. I have to take my focus off the viewfiner and in doing so, i lose my composition.

2. I wouldnt think that buffer would matter as much a pentax's af systems are often too slow to track moving subjects. Image quality is something that pentax has always been reveared for it, but the D3200 also has significant better dynamic range.

3. The d3200 has wi fi and hdmi, two things that with pentax you would have to pay over $1000 to get.

4. Also, what is with the burst shooting mode on the K20? Not the 3 fps one but the one that takes something like 2 mp images at 20 fps and then lets you put together all them in into a movie in an editing program. It was like pentax wanted to be able to claim that the K20 has a movie mode but didnt want to actually go the length of doing an actual movie mode. It just feels like with pentax you make too many compromises.
1. This is exactly why you have the AF button. Use it!
Btw, isn't your focus of the viewfinder when you dig into the menus of the glorios D3200 when switching AF -- MF??

2. The AF is much better now then in the K20D. The DR of D3200 is similar to modern pentax entry level models. Are you still comparing to the old K20D??

3. Nikon adds hdmi and wifi to their entry level model while pentax adds (quoted from earlier in the thread):
QuoteQuote:
In comparison to the D3200, the K50 has a deeper buffer, faster fps, 100 percent penta prism viewfinder, dual control wheels and a sealed body. There are more things, but basically, to me, the K30/50 is a significantly better camera for still photography, the only thing the D3200 has on it is video.
Wow, got to admire what the D3200 offers

4. At the time of the K20D a video mode was not common in cameras. The D90 from that time had film capacity but it was 2008 and it is 2013 now for the most of us. You should try it.
12-17-2013, 02:52 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shaX 07 Quote
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.....
It's biting sarcasm.
12-17-2013, 03:09 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Supernaut, regardless of which camera is better for you or anyone else, you should undoubtedly get a Nikon because that's what you want.
But when you do get your Nikon, do not get a D3200. You will lose so much even comparing to your "old" K20. Get a D7000 or alike, that's a fine camera.
12-17-2013, 03:35 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Late to the party. Just like others, I think that you're comparing apples and oranges (either older cameras with newer ones or cameras that are in totally diferent price ranges).

Having said that, the camera is a tool so get the right tool for the job. I've seen some brilliant Pentax BIF shots and I'm stilling curious how they have been done. Maybe with ease, maybe with great difficulty.

By the way, just so you're aware of it, Nikon seems to be on a mission to lock 3rd party stuff out; see e.g. The Nikon Sigma Kerfuffle | byThom | Thom Hogan and the recent 3rd party battery saga. So in future you might be limited to Nikon stuff only.
12-17-2013, 03:58 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
Supernaut, regardless of which camera is better for you or anyone else, you should undoubtedly get a Nikon because that's what you want.
But when you do get your Nikon, do not get a D3200. You will lose so much even comparing to your "old" K20. Get a D7000 or alike, that's a fine camera.
Absolutely, I agree. But it is not the fact the OP is considering another brand that gets people going here, it is the strange reasons presented.
Closed Thread