Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
Banned

Trey Ratcliff with the Sony A7r

QuoteQuote:
SONY A7R REVIEW
Summary: Incredible (said in an even more impressive French accent).
I’m never the first with my reviews because I like to take the camera out on a hard-hitting run before I post my opinions. You’ll also find my reviews not to be overly technical. To me, a camera is there to create interesting art. I like to bend the technology to my will and it’s just a tool in my hands. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll have plenty of technical details, but I won’t obsess on tech for the sake of tech. I’m much more into it for the sake of art.
Sony A7r Review | Lots of Sample Photos

This is the best review I have seen so far on the A7r IMHO.

12-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
half way and my head is spinning.
too shaky!
12-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
half way and my head is spinning.
too shaky!
He should have used his 10-18mm F4 OSS APS-C E mount lens @13mm .
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/244...ml#post2607831

12-20-2013, 03:02 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Wow, with the new tool I bet he can make even more plasticky HDRs than before! Or is it possible?

12-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #5
Banned

Original Poster
Leica Lenses and More on the A7r

Stuck In Customs | HDR Photography, Travel Photography and Camera Reviews

QuoteQuote:
These lupins were swaying in the wind outside of home in St. Bathans. I had on the Leica 50mm f/1/4 wide open and snuck up on some pretty ones to get this shot.
It looks like he will have many more A7r shots coming soon.
12-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Wow, with the new tool I bet he can make even more plasticky HDRs than before! Or is it possible?
They are not to my taste either. But he's either successfully selling them, or the ability to make them and chase the dream. I'm not sure which.

I'm actually really getting tired of landscape photography. It's all getting so cliche'. Antelope Canyon was cool the first million or so times I saw it, now I want to vomit when I see it.

Not speaking of Trey with this next comment in particular, but the landscape formula is:

FF, 16-35 or 14-24 + some rocks + some waves + some sun + a filter to smooth the water + photoshop = a boring image replicated by millions yearly.

As David Spade said in commentary to Whitney Houston covering Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love You". Whitney, You know why Dolly sang that? So you wouldn't have to.
12-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
I'm actually really getting tired of landscape photography. It's all getting so cliche'.
Yep, I'm mostly agreeing with you here. And the onslaught of formulated HDRs is almost depressing. The heaping teaspoonfuls are readily apparent on social photography sites like Google+ where Trey Ratcliff is an Internet celebrity.

Within haughty academic circles, there are numerous theories about how landscape photography is pretty much over. Has been for a while.
Happy new year!

M

12-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
Banned

Original Poster
Trey is friends with Sergey Brin the co-founder of Google.
Go to 19:25 of the following video:
12-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I will say this about Trey, having met him in real life. He seems quite likeable and unpretentious, and genuinely willing to share his techniques and style to anyone who wants to learn - whether they pay for one of his classes or not. I didn't pay, because I shoot very different photos and have a different style from him, but I know people who have attended his workshops and say they have learnt a lot from him and his classes are well attended.

I will say this - having watched him taking photos, he has a very good eye for composition, and IMHO that's the difference between a good photographer and an average one. I shoot very different photos from Trey, but his photos work for me. I dare say if you show any of his photos to an average person, they will say it's a stunning photo - they don't know about technique, they just know whether a photo looks good or not.

By contrast, I have a lot less respect for some of the other bloggers. For example, I find a lot of Steve Huff's photos uninteresting, but every now and then I find one I like, so he gets a pass. Luminous Landscape on the other hand seems to produce really mediocre photos (in my opinion), it's one of the reasons why I don't visit the site often and I don't enjoy or respect their articles. And the less said about Ken Rockwell the better :-)