Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2014, 05:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hot tip for those who use the A7 and A7r with adapted lenses - Lens compensation

Here's a hot tip that even the Sony product managers didn't know about and not mentioned in the manual.

Buy the lens compensation app:
https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/usbdetail.php?eid=IS9104-NPIA09014_00-000008

Basically this app will allow you to create profiles for adapted lenses. For each lens you use, do a test shot in the app and it will automatically determine some of the correction parameters. You can also manually adjust the parameters.

Me (and everyone else I know) basically ignored it because we thought it only worked on JPEGs. So this is the hot tip: IT ALSO WORKS ON RAW FILES!!!

Basically it writes the correction parameters into the raw file and Lightroom (or another program) will apply the corrections when opening the raw file.

Things it can correct:
  • Peripheral Shading: Corrects brightness and the intensity of reds and blues around the edges of images
  • Chromatic Aberration: Corrects red and blue lateral aberration
  • Distortion: Corrects barrel and pincushion distortion

Note: this includes colour casting issues and vignetting on some lenses.

Best of all, once you buy the app - it will also work on older NEX (NEX6 for example). Once you purchase the app, you can download it for free for additional devices (up to ten).

02-03-2014, 06:25 PM   #2
Forum Member

That's interesting. Does it slow the camera down by much? Do you need to make a setting for all the focal length & shutter combinations?
02-04-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Thingo Quote
That's interesting. Does it slow the camera down by much? Do you need to make a setting for all the focal length & shutter combinations?
I dunno - I don't use it myself as I have created Adobe Lens Profiles for all my lenses, but those who are using it haven't noticed a significant impact,

It is certainly a lot easier to use than the Adobe lens profile creator. And it does colour casting correction.

At a minimum you need to generate a profile for each lens - the instructions seem to imply you can create profiles at different aperture stops (eg. 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8 etc.).