Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2014, 04:49 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But keep in mind, since it is FF you have to multiply the oil spots by 1.5 to get an equivalent damage on a Pentax camera And no, I am not happy about this - its sad any time a photographer's tool is damaged or unreliable. I hope this gets resolved so the customers get what they thought they were paying for

04-08-2014, 05:12 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
But keep in mind, since it is FF you have to multiply the oil spots by 1.5 to get an equivalent damage on a Pentax camera
Yes but with the shallower depth of field of FF, the oil spots will look much smoother and they'll be noise free

Sorry, I had to do it
04-08-2014, 05:33 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Don't want to jinx anything, but my old K20D seems to have been one of the most trouble cameras of any brand ever made. I seldom heard of any problems of significance, and never experienced any myself. So far, from what I have read, the K3, although much more advanced, appears to be mostly trouble free too. However, after a rocky start, a couple of years ago, I bought the K5 and many thousands of shots later have yet to encounter a single glitch.

I am still struggling to make myself hit the Buy Now button on the Fuji X-T1. I've worn out several of them by loading them in and then taking them out of the cart at B&H, so if you get one and find it is slightly worn...you know why!

I think my problem is that I want the Fuji, but know the K3 is a better value and a more broadly functional and more dependable camera. If that damn Fuji just wasn't so great looking I would already own the K3. Every day is going to be the day I decide...and every day a new Fuji X-T1 gets a little more shop worn going in and out of the cart!

Regards!
Rupert, have you seen the examples of strange digital artifacts coming from the X-trans sensor/processor, over at Lloyd Chambers' site, digilloyd.com? Take a look (just do a search on site); there's some pretty nasty looking stuff there to think about. Personally, I'm bothered by the Fuji colors for doing landscapes; particularly the handling of greens, which, from what I've seen online, look rather poorly separated and differentiated to me. I find it hard to get past the feeling that X-trans is a solution looking for a problem... with the added concern that the cure looks worse than the disease.

I, too, want to like that camera -- and the system is developing nicely! Frankly, I did not want a conventional DSLR with an optical finder; not to fit my personal set of priorities, anyway. But given the options existing, and what might be expected to materialize in the near term, I finally just bought the K-3 by default, as much as anything else.

Nevertheless, for some very, very nice looking X-trans images, take a look at Ming Thein's site. Then look at his conclusion about the unacceptability of the IQ he was able to generate for HIS needs. Ming does not have the time for trying out cameras for any other reason, BTW. Hmm. Then consider, Ming loves his Ricoh GR and takes it with him on professional shoots. Draw your own conclusions. I worry that market pressure for plus-20mp APS-C sensors effectively dooms a 16mp Fuji camera that price-y to looking VERY expensive in net cost of ownership over a very short term. Of course, you may be awash in oil profits down your way... 😁 I hope you make the right choice for you.

BTW, I still can't get over the great looking B&W pics you're getting out of that X-20! -- Fred

---------- Post added 04-08-14 at 08:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
Yes but with the shallower depth of field of FF, the oil spots will look much smoother and they'll be noise free

Sorry, I had to do it
Ha, ha... LOL.