Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2014, 02:35 PM   #16
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
...burst fps is 40 for the GH4 while the AFC is 7fps
This is the point I was trying to make, but it flew over the cuckcoo nest.

05-27-2014, 02:42 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'mnot sure why a fast frame rate should be a challenge for a mirror less. When considering mirror less or not mirrorless, I wouldn't even look a frame rate. SO the video is a waste of my time. If mirroless can't beat a camera with a morror with a better frame rate, it's a waste of technology. Now, are there any articles that address meaningful things, like viewfinder lag in low light etc.? Like the real things that keep people away from mirroless?
05-27-2014, 02:56 PM   #18
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'mnot sure why a fast frame rate should be a challenge for a mirror less. When considering mirror less or not mirrorless, I wouldn't even look a frame rate. SO the video is a waste of my time. If mirroless can't beat a camera with a morror with a better frame rate, it's a waste of technology. Now, are there any articles that address meaningful things, like viewfinder lag in low light etc.? Like the real things that keep people away from mirroless?
I would not touch another new DSLR with a flipping mirror with a ten foot pole, whatever floats your boat. DSLRs, the buggy whips of cameras.
05-27-2014, 03:21 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Doesn't the new Nikon V3 do 20 fps with AF-C?

Drool-worthy.

05-27-2014, 03:49 PM   #20
JPT
Pentaxian

Whatever you say about the Nikon 1 system overall, it was the one system that had continuous autofocus sorted from the first models, so I think it's worthy of discussion in this thread.

I found the performance of those cameras to be pretty impressive. I think it's a pity that they said the AF performance was better than similarly priced DSLRs, but didn't test that directly. However, it seems that the days when AF is listed in the "cons" list for mirror less cameras are gone and they are pretty much on a par now.

It will be interesting to see whether Nikon goes ahead with the rumored D2300 mirror less F- mount camera. Could Sony's lower end A-mount camera lose the translucent mirror? Will Canon use its dual pixel system to release an EOS model without a mirror?

Most importantly for me, will Ricoh ever make a K-01 follow up? Ironically, Pentax did it first, perhaps too soon, but recently they have been talking up the benefits of traditional DSLRs. I note that Ricoh is practically the only manufacturer that doesn't have any implementation of on-sensor PDAF. That is a bit worrying because Pentax could end up where they were before - losing sales because of sub-standard autofocus performance.
05-27-2014, 03:58 PM   #21
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Doesn't the new Nikon V3 do 20 fps with AF-C?

Drool-worthy.
Yes it does, which makes it much faster than the X-T1, E-M1, A6000 and GH4.
05-27-2014, 06:56 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Whatever you say about the Nikon 1 system overall, it was the one system that had continuous autofocus sorted from the first models, so I think it's worthy of discussion in this thread.

I found the performance of those cameras to be pretty impressive. I think it's a pity that they said the AF performance was better than similarly priced DSLRs, but didn't test that directly. However, it seems that the days when AF is listed in the "cons" list for mirror less cameras are gone and they are pretty much on a par now.

It will be interesting to see whether Nikon goes ahead with the rumored D2300 mirror less F- mount camera. Could Sony's lower end A-mount camera lose the translucent mirror? Will Canon use its dual pixel system to release an EOS model without a mirror?

Most importantly for me, will Ricoh ever make a K-01 follow up? Ironically, Pentax did it first, perhaps too soon, but recently they have been talking up the benefits of traditional DSLRs. I note that Ricoh is practically the only manufacturer that doesn't have any implementation of on-sensor PDAF. That is a bit worrying because Pentax could end up where they were before - losing sales because of sub-standard autofocus performance.
Pentax would have to do something miraculous with either a a K-01/another Q followup then. I got one of the discounted J1's from buydig (came with a copy of LR 5 for about $150), and picked up a 30-110 lens for another $100, and while the sensor isn't as good as Sony's 1", I've found the AF a near revolution.

And I don't think that's all just because I'm used to Pentax, and compared to the K-01, it blows it away in terms of AF. Pentax needs to be worried because Sony, Nikon, Oly, Panasonic are figuring out how to get it done with mirrorless, and while the quality isn't up the larger sensor of my K-01, I really like the size of the Nikon 1 series.

I would imagine that the V3 is better, but at $1200 or so, Nikon needs to put the drugs away.

05-27-2014, 08:49 PM   #23
JPT
Pentaxian

I don't think that a K-01 successor could be as fast as a Nikon 1 camera because of the lens design, but it could certainly be better than it is with PDAF on the sensor. My concern is that Pentax seems to be backing away from mirror less technology, just as it seems to be poised to exceed DSLR tech. I hope I'm wrong and the next cameras will have fantastic live view, but recent interviews don't look encouraging.
05-27-2014, 11:49 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote

I think the reason Nikon 1's system was not included was because its a 1" sensor platform, all the other mirrorless cameras had larger sensors than that. But you're right, the Nikon 1 system did have a reputation for speed.

Nikon, Canon, and Pentax all stayed away from any kind of mirrorless camera that would challenge their traditional dslr systems, especially with regard to sensor size. Sony on the other hand has jumped in there with FF mirrorless sensors. On the other hand, dslrs still seem to be selling better than mirrorless. One day, the tipping point between consumer preference on dslr versus mirrorless will be reached, and some mfr may be caught napping. It can only get more interesting from here.
05-28-2014, 12:33 PM   #25
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I think the reason Nikon 1's system was not included was because its a 1" sensor platform, all the other mirrorless cameras had larger sensors than that.
No, according to Jordan at the Camera Store it is because they have yet to get their hands on a V3. But when they do, they will run it through its paces.
05-28-2014, 02:30 PM   #26
Banned

Nikon V3 AF is very fast but no faster than the new $700 Sony A6000

QuoteQuote:
My V3 review sample arrived today and I was excited to test it. FINALLY, the V3 we have been waiting for! WooHoo! Many of you here know I was and am a huge Nikon 1 system fan and my fave was the original V1.

Then I opened the box and took the camera out. Uh Oh. 1st impression is that Nikon dropped the ball. The V3 is TINY, feels cheap (The $200 J1 feels nicer and better made), the EVF is cheap without a swivel and is quite small..but the killer for me? The V3 now takes MICRO SD cards! YUCK! Gone is the SD card slot and it is replaced by an itsy bitsy teeny weeny Micro SD card slot. I am not a fan of using Micro SD cards in a camera, especially one that costs $1200 as the V3 Kit package does.

So yes, my 1st impression was not a good one. I decided to load up the battery and take it out in my yard to test the AF and all of the other good stuff such as the new 10-30 Kit Zoom. Maybe it would wow me with something cool and unique or its overall abilities when in use…

…AF is very fast but no faster than the new $700 Sony A6000. Shutter sounds pretty nice, but no nicer than the new $700 Sony A6000. IQ? Same as the V1 and V2 in my limited snaps out back (which I do love). The new kit zoom seems softer than the old one. For $1200 Nikon has delivered the cheapest feeling and smallest V body yet. In comparison, the failed AW1 felt like a tank in comparison. Not sure who is making the decisions at Nikon these days but they do not seem to care about the 1 system nor the users who fell in love with the nice V1 and V2.

With such disappointment out of the gate I may not even do a full review. It does nothing to inspire me or motivate me. It feels cheap, it is too small, has nothing special about it and is a step backwards from the V1 and V2 in build, feel and maybe even IQ. The Micro SD card was a bad move as well.
The Nikon V3 Arrives. 1st Impression report. | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

The V3 is a failure. The GH4 AF is faster than the A6000
05-28-2014, 02:47 PM   #27
JHD
Veteran Member

Here you go again parroting more nonsense. I'm not going to entertain a conversation with an autistic robot.
05-28-2014, 03:10 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
The Nikon V3 Arrives. 1st Impression report. | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

The V3 is a failure. The GH4 AF is faster than the A6000
LOL - you have to take what Steve says with a grain of salt (and preferably an alcoholic drink as well).

I have my concerns about the V3 as well - Micro SD and external EVF were deal breakers for me.

The problem with Sony is that they don't really understand how to do burst mode. All the Sony cameras splutter after about ten frames or so - a realistic burst mode need to operate for at least 2-3 seconds, not just 1 sec. I do hope the A6000 will be better but not holding my hopes up.

Nikon 1 has a very usable burst mode - I've used mine to capture cycling photos quite successfully.
05-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #29
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Here you go again parroting more nonsense. I'm not going to entertain a conversation with an autistic robot.
Look who is talking, a clueless Nikon fanboy.

Is this what you like for $1,200 boy ?
05-28-2014, 07:36 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
LOL - you have to take what Steve says with a grain of salt (and preferably an alcoholic drink as well).

I have my concerns about the V3 as well - Micro SD and external EVF were deal breakers for me.

The problem with Sony is that they don't really understand how to do burst mode. All the Sony cameras splutter after about ten frames or so - a realistic burst mode need to operate for at least 2-3 seconds, not just 1 sec. I do hope the A6000 will be better but not holding my hopes up.

Nikon 1 has a very usable burst mode - I've used mine to capture cycling photos quite successfully.
The Camera Shop video implied, i think, that the A6000 had an inadequate buffer size. The auto focus is what they got right, buffer size should be easily rectified on the next model. But for $700, its hard to complain, the camera that beat it, the GH4 is over twice the price.

Sooner or later, either Canon or Nikon will break ranks and come out with an APS mirrorless model to compete with these 4 fast AF mirrorless brands. At $648 body only, Sony has shown that a competitive APS model can be made cheap. Exciting times.