Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2014, 08:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Just had the chance to check out the D810

My local photography store just had an event today where you could go try out their newest full frame flagship (there was a nikon rep there too to answer questions as well). Some things i really liked in no particular order...

-AF is incredible fast. It locks on basically instantly. They had several lenses to try out including a gigantic 200mm and the camera didnt seem to care which lens you're using. In case, you arent familiar with the best, here it is attached on a nikon 1 (which is somehow compatible)
-Noise performance is pretty amazing. The nikon rep said that it's 2-3 stops better than the D800 and yeah, i can confirm that its huge improvement. I took several shots at ISO 12,800 and there is basically zero noise. Pretty impressive. I think this is basically nikon's answer to the mk3 and from what ive seen today, it outdoes it in almost every way.
-It gives you the ability to shoot in multiple formats. In addition to the usual FX and DX, there is also a 5:4 ratio.
-Brand new 36 megapixel sensor! The detail is pretty awesome.
-Not of much interest to me, but the nikon guy did mention that there is a new 12 bit uncompressed raw small option.

I think its safe to say that i have probably found my next camera.

Bonus Video
There was a a D4S there too and i was pretty blown away by the burst rate

Last edited by neostyles; 02-07-2015 at 12:51 PM.
07-22-2014, 08:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, it's a pretty impressive machine! I've been reading the specs.
07-22-2014, 08:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
noise performance...it's 2-3 stops better than the D800
I am sceptical.

But I will be happy if the D810 pushes prices of the D800 and A7r down. Maybe I might be tempted.
07-22-2014, 08:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

My old college roomie got an order in right away after I alerted him to the impending announcement. He's not an enthusiast, as such, but is just "too busy" to fool around; so he shoots and crops, carrying a minimum of lenses at any one time. He is a reliable observer and wouldn't get carried away with gearhead thinking. He reports the lower noise (but not running to 3 stops -- in JPEGS, though) and feels this camera does address a previous practical limitation with his D800, opening up some new options (that is, at his preferred threshold IQ level). He noted the improved auto-focus performance straight away, and the verdict is the same -- another set of practical issues resolved. I hope this secondhand report will be useful to some.

Last edited by Kayaker-J; 07-22-2014 at 11:12 PM.
07-22-2014, 10:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I hardly see myself as a gearhead to be honest. Although its a convention for pros to own multiple camera bodies, I dont really see myself acquiring another one anytime. I just want one good body that does it all. Nikon already has amazing image quality, and along with the modded firmware (Nikon Hacker) it looks like it will also have great video as well.
07-22-2014, 11:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I hardly see myself as a gearhead to be honest. Although its a convention for pros to own multiple camera bodies, I dont really see myself acquiring another one anytime. I just want one good body that does it all. Nikon already has amazing image quality, and along with the modded firmware (Nikon Hacker) it looks like it will also have great video as well.
Yep, very much like my friend. He has the resources to supplement the D810 with whatever he wants, however; but is practical and doesn't get carried away. The camera is a tool, not so much the objective in itself. Not to say J. doesn't enjoy his toys. Now me, by contrast... well, a few ( 😄 ) gearhead tendencies might be noticed. Good luck realizing your own objectives!
07-23-2014, 09:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I made the mistake of handling it in the store but must hold off till after Photokina prices of Canons 1Dx and 5D3 are dropping drastically with all the little issues popping up, leaving a bad taste in MANY Canon shooters mouths. I am either gonna buy issue laden equipment cheap or jump ship again.

07-23-2014, 04:14 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Some other reviews looking at the RAW files say only about 1/2 to 2/3 stops better in noise which is a far cry from 2 to 3 stops the Nikon rep is saying. And that sounds a little more realistic to me. Looking at in-camera JPEGs in a store is not a very good review, IMHO.
07-23-2014, 04:32 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Some other reviews looking at the RAW files say only about 1/2 to 2/3 stops better in noise which is a far cry from 2 to 3 stops the Nikon rep is saying. And that sounds a little more realistic to me. Looking at in-camera JPEGs in a store is not a very good review, IMHO.
Even a small improvement is noteworthy given the camera's resolution IMO, but 2-3 stops definitely sounds overly-optimistic: perhaps they were referring to a best-case scenario.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-23-2014, 04:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Even a small improvement is noteworthy given the camera's resolution IMO, but 2-3 stops definitely sounds overly-optimistic: perhaps they were referring to a best-case scenario.
My longtime friend J. cited above, a very experienced SLR/DSLR user, thought a very solid one stop gain was about right. It could be some fraction more. He told me he was getting results that met his criteria for IQ at ISO 3200 under what he thought were challenging conditions.

Addendum: To repeat, since it may be relevant here, my pal likes JPEGs, irrespective of some technical considerations: he simply feels he has too much going on all the time to get involved with much post-processing, and that's very probably true. I'd like him to look into something like Athentech Perfectly Clear, myself.

Last edited by Kayaker-J; 07-23-2014 at 04:58 PM.
07-23-2014, 06:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Being a gearhead and being photographer seem like they are synonymous, but for me it's mostly about the art. I met a dude yesterday who didnt have one, not two, but three camera bodies! At present i only have one body and 3 lenses : Nikkor 24-85, Nikkor AF 50D, and the tamron 70-300,

I think the 1200 shots per charge was also pretty impressive. On average, thats around twice as many shots as i take in a photoshoot. o_0 Also, judging by from experiences, i am one of the few photographers which film photography was before their time :P Interestingly enough, i got my hands on the first "modern" film dslr. It was the nikon f7. Pretty neat little thing. xd
07-23-2014, 06:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Little? You mean the Nikon F and F Photomic? I picked up one of those in near-mint condition about a year and a half ago; and if you like the vintage "character" of the Photomic finder and can adjust to the "different" shutter release position, it is about as smooth, vibration-free, and satisfying as SLRs ever got. Mine is, anyway.

I believe many people respond with more enthusiasm and less suspicion to being photographed by an "antique" camera than by modern ones, especially zoom fitted DSLRs with battery grips -- Hence, better portraits and candids.

Addendum: You might also take a look at Miranda and Topcon when it comes to considering "first modern" SLR candidates. I'd also like to note that if you concentrate on using prime lenses for IQ and versatility, then a single body solution typically becomes less practical for "artists" with a good sense of "vision" and an eye for possibilities, as well -- die hard minimalists excepted.

Last edited by Kayaker-J; 07-25-2014 at 05:05 PM.
07-25-2014, 12:43 PM   #13
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Brand new 36 megapixel sensor! The detail is pretty awesome.
It does not look any better than the 36mp sensor in my A7r.
Nikon D810 Real-world Samples: dpreview review samples: Galleries: Digital Photography Review

Quick jpegs from my A7r.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/21376375@N04/14532305039/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/21376375@N04/14623459285/
07-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thing is though, we dont know what iso those shots were taken with. During my hands on time with the 810, i was amazed at the noise performance

QuoteQuote:
They were saying that as you go up in iso, the differences between the 810/810e only get bigger.I believe the 2 stops was in reference to 3200 if i remember correctly.

Last edited by neostyles; 07-25-2014 at 02:27 PM.
07-25-2014, 01:44 PM   #15
Banned

Thing is though, we dont know what iso those shots were taken with. During my hands on time with the 810, i was amazed at the noise performance
What shots ? The shots in my links all had iso info.