Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2014, 02:24 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Updated Fuji lens roadmap

From photo rumors: Fujifilm published an updated X mount lens roadmap (2015) | Photo Rumors

I don't have the scratch to run multiple APS-C systems, but if I did the X-system would be my first option. I am very satisfied with my Pentax stuff, but Fuji is beating Pentax at their own game with a full lineup of compact fast primes + zooms. If they had IBIS...

07-24-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
If they had IBIS...
I was playing with my cousin's XT-1 yesterday and successfully hand-held a shot at 200mm at 50th/sec. They may not have IBIS but their OIS works good!

I also tried some of my Takumars via x/m42 ebay adapter, and they sure are easier to focus than on the K-5.

Ergonomics and menu system not nearly as good as the Pentax, though. I kept accidentally hitting the menu button. Maybe a grip would help.
07-24-2014, 06:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was looking at Fuji's line up last night because I like their lens lineup and was trying to figure out how much size and weight I can save compared to K3. While they are definitely smaller, the weight seems almost comparable while using lenses of similar focal length and aperture. Ok, sure, percentage wise it sounds pretty big but the numerical difference isn't going to feel that much. So that kind of stopped my desire, whew! If I was starting from scratch right now though, I may have picked Fuji over Pentax.
07-24-2014, 08:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I was using a Fuji X-T1 with the 56mm F/1.2 today.

Excellent lens. Even at F/1.2 I was really surprised at the IQ and sharpness. I was only shooting JPEG, but very, very good OOC image quality.

Shot with it for an hour, but my hands are too big to use it without a grip. Hand started to cramp up since I can only get 2 fingers on it and my ring and pinkie finger rest underneath it. Its like drinking tea from a child's tea set.

Menu system needs work IMO. I came to Pentax from Canon and Olympus and I think Pentax has the best controls and simplest menu system. I could learn the Fuji, but its not as photographer friendly as Pentax.

I like the aperture ring on the lens. Yes. I'm a relic from the manual everything film days. The reason why I like Pentax is that I have a lot of control with the Pentax custom functions. I would like to see Pentax return to putting the aperture ring on the lens. I would like to control aperture with my left hand and have the front dial control ISO. I would also like to see an old school exposure meter in the VF. Like the old K-1000 needle. A digital bar would be acceptable.

The X-T1 AF was nice, but still not good enough for me to make a move..... But I really like the Fuji glass. Sharpness, color, contrast at F/1.2 (56mm) was better than the DA* 55mm at F/2.8. Yes... it's that good and that fast, but too much hunting when my K-3 would have locked and shot.

X-T1 has a nice EVF, but it still fluttered under certain lighting and after AF was locked florescent lights. EVF is still not up to standards. It has advantages, but not enough to beat out OVF yet.

Fuji is doing almost ever thing right, or moving in that direction. The glass is frigg'n excellent. People talk about getting smaller, but there is a limit to how small you can go and still be usable for an extended period of time and balance with bigger faster lenses. For me the K-3 is about as small as I want a body to go. I can see the mirror box going away, but the grip size on the K-3 is as small as I can use for extended periods.

I hope Pentax has "big" plans and quality glass on the way. I'm pretty disappointed with the IQ of the 20-40mm Limited lens. Its no where near the level of IQ expected of a Limited lens. For such a slow lens with such a narrow zoom range, it should have had stellar image quality.

07-25-2014, 10:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
I was looking at Fuji's line up last night because I like their lens lineup and was trying to figure out how much size and weight I can save compared to K3. While they are definitely smaller, the weight seems almost comparable while using lenses of similar focal length and aperture. Ok, sure, percentage wise it sounds pretty big but the numerical difference isn't going to feel that much. So that kind of stopped my desire, whew! If I was starting from scratch right now though, I may have picked Fuji over Pentax.
A few of the lenses have similar focal lengths.\
But you'll notice that in a lot of cases the Fuji lenses are faster, which ups the weight. For example, the 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4 and 56mm f1.2. Those are all faster than any of the pentax offerings with similar focal lengths.

THe only one that is a direct compare is the DA 14mm f2.8 and Fujis 14mm f2.8 and there you will notice Fujis is much lighter.
07-25-2014, 11:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
But you'll notice that in a lot of cases the Fuji lenses are faster, which ups the weight. For example, the 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4 and 56mm f1.2. Those are all faster than any of the pentax offerings with similar focal lengths.

THe only one that is a direct compare is the DA 14mm f2.8 and Fujis 14mm f2.8 and there you will notice Fujis is much lighter.
I want OIS and WR to match Pentax package. So if you take XF18-135mmF3.5-5.6 it's 490g without hood while Pentax is 405g without hood.
X-T1 is 440g with battery and memory card while K3 is about 800g.

490+440 = 930
405+800 = 1205

The difference of ~300g isn't that much for the amount of money I'd have to shell out. Besides, heavier lens on smaller body has ergonomic issues too.

Last edited by ruggiex; 07-25-2014 at 08:48 PM.
07-30-2014, 11:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
I want OIS and WR to match Pentax package. So if you take XF18-135mmF3.5-5.6 it's 490g without hood while Pentax is 405g without hood.
X-T1 is 440g with battery and memory card while K3 is about 800g.

490+440 = 930
405+800 = 1205

The difference of ~300g isn't that much for the amount of money I'd have to shell out. Besides, heavier lens on smaller body has ergonomic issues too.
Hmm... Have you tried handholding and using it personally?

07-31-2014, 02:10 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote

Even though the Fuji lenses are faster they are not much bigger or heavier than Pentax slower lenses.
Fuji XF 18/2 are lighter and not much bigger than Pentax DA 21/3.2, Fuji XF 35/1.4 is heavier, but not much bigger than Pentax DA 35/2.4.
And as Fuji camera has much shorter register distance the a lens like Fuji 23/1.4 used on Fuji X-T1 is about the same size a Pentax K3 with DA 21/3.2.

Mirrorless has advantage when it comes to size/weight of wide angle lenses.
07-31-2014, 04:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Hmm... Have you tried handholding and using it personally?
Obviously 18-135 isn't out yet (I think?) but I have handled Fuji. Like I said, size wise it's definitely noticeable. But weight wise, 300g isn't enough to justify the cost of switching.

If just shooting primes, then it's a pretty good size/weight/speed difference. But you do lose out on IBIS.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Fuji XF 18/2 are lighter and not much bigger than Pentax DA 21/3.2, Fuji XF 35/1.4 is heavier, but not much bigger than Pentax DA 35/2.4.
If Fuji had OIS it probably wouldn't be lighter imo.

Last edited by ruggiex; 07-31-2014 at 04:53 AM.