Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2014, 10:50 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Further info about the results & tests:

Blind English & French Samsung NX1 / Sony A77II / Nikon D750 comparison (1,086 participants):

Samsung NX1 / Sony A77II / Nikon D750: Your Favourite Was... Samsung!

There were 10 comparative tests. The combined scores:

NX1: 5,632

A77 II: 1,855

D750: 3,232
made up a lot of ground in the ISO (10th) test.

Info about the lenses:

Samsung NX1 (pre-production model) 16-50mm f/2-2.8 S ED OIS
(@ 16mm f/8)

Sony Alpha 77 II DT 16-50mm f/2.8 SSM (@ 16mm f/8)

Nikon D750 AF-S FX 35mm f/1.4 G (@ 35mm f/8)

http://www.digitalversus.com/can-you-spot-samsung-nx1-pre-production-model-s...tos-n36183.htm

Dan.

10-13-2014, 12:06 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Further info about the results & tests:

Blind English & French Samsung NX1 / Sony A77II / Nikon D750 comparison (1,086 participants):

Samsung NX1 / Sony A77II / Nikon D750: Your Favourite Was... Samsung!

There were 10 comparative tests. The combined scores:

NX1: 5,632

A77 II: 1,855

D750: 3,232
made up a lot of ground in the ISO (10th) test.

Info about the lenses:

Samsung NX1 (pre-production model) 16-50mm f/2-2.8 S ED OIS
(@ 16mm f/8)

Sony Alpha 77 II DT 16-50mm f/2.8 SSM (@ 16mm f/8)

Nikon D750 AF-S FX 35mm f/1.4 G (@ 35mm f/8)

http://www.digitalversus.com/can-you-spot-samsung-nx1-pre-production-model-s...tos-n36183.htm

Dan.
IMO there is too much variation in the images captured by these cameras to make any conclusion of the test. It probably say more of the lenses than of the cameras.
But the Samsung "kit lens" looks to be an impressive performer, and Samsung probably also apply more sharpening on jpg images.

One interesting thing is that Samsung NX1 do not show any major advantage over Sony A77 II in high ISO noise. As the Sony camera has a SLT mirror that deflects some of the light, the new Samsung sersor do not seem to have any advantage of Sony sensor in high ISO performance.

I'm waiting for tests made in more controlled manner and that compare RAW data, before I draw any conclution
10-13-2014, 06:53 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
One interesting thing is that Samsung NX1 do not show any major advantage over Sony A77 II in high ISO noise. As the Sony camera has a SLT mirror that deflects some of the light, the new Samsung sersor do not seem to have any advantage of Sony sensor in high ISO performance.
I think the Samsung is doing a noticeably better job than the Sony with high ISO. Looking at the topographical lines on the map at ISO 3200, I see a lot more detail in the Samsung sample than the Sony. Just looking at the fine detail I would say that the pre-production Samsung has a little more than a stop advantage over the 24MP Sony.
10-13-2014, 01:19 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I think the Samsung is doing a noticeably better job than the Sony with high ISO. Looking at the topographical lines on the map at ISO 3200, I see a lot more detail in the Samsung sample than the Sony. Just looking at the fine detail I would say that the pre-production Samsung has a little more than a stop advantage over the 24MP Sony.
I don't think this tell us very much, Sony always used kind of unsophisticated noise reduction on jpgs, and looking at the "Bank note detail" images. Sony and Samsung use very different jpg settings. It also looks like Sony images are over exposed, and the Sony lens do not seem to perform very well at 16mm.

10-14-2014, 05:34 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
IMO there is too much variation in the images captured by these cameras to make any conclusion of the test. It probably say more of the lenses than of the cameras.
But the Samsung "kit lens" looks to be an impressive performer, and Samsung probably also apply more sharpening on jpg images.

I'm waiting for tests made in more controlled manner and that compare RAW data, before I draw any conclution
I'm not sure what tests you are looking at, but the NX1 certainly looks better. although lens also plays a part in making the results even better, it also shows the resolution capability of the camera and lens combo. normally a higher mp sensor would demand a really remarkable lens to resolve that much detail but it seems the new BSI architecture played a role in keeping the IQ at great level. lens should not impact how the IQ look at High ISO.

from the test, it reads they applied the best sharpening from all cameras and the best lenses so I don't think there is a conspiracy to make the Sony A77 II look bad. even more so with the NX lens which showed a weak corner. maybe 24mm would have done better for cropped sensor cameras. but that would also increase the performance of what is already the existing IQ of both lenses. usually Sony jpegs are better than what NX cameras can produce, so I don't buy the jpeg setting difference also.

considering these are only beta samples from the NX, that is already something worth considering about, especially with the IQ looking good.
10-14-2014, 08:23 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
it reads they applied the best sharpening from all cameras and the best lenses so I don't think there is a conspiracy to make the Sony A77 II look bad.
Considering the 16-50/2.8 lenses used, and the prime on the Nikon, they did a good job reducing the variables in the test. However, like any attempt at being un-biased, the results will be read with bias!

Blah, blah, full-frame is always better, blah, Sony was handicapped, blah blah Samsung unfair advantage, blah lens selection, system price, blah... etc.
10-14-2014, 08:58 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Considering the 16-50/2.8 lenses used, and the prime on the Nikon, they did a good job reducing the variables in the test. However, like any attempt at being un-biased, the results will be read with bias!

Blah, blah, full-frame is always better, blah, Sony was handicapped, blah blah Samsung unfair advantage, blah lens selection, system price, blah... etc.
I think some people were expecting already or have this notion of......."but it's Samsung !", "it should not look better". "the results are rigged". "it must be fake".

10-14-2014, 09:04 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Samsung deserves kudos for pushing the envelope.

But tests before Benjamins.
10-14-2014, 10:28 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I'm not sure what tests you are looking at, but the NX1 certainly looks better. although lens also plays a part in making the results even better, it also shows the resolution capability of the camera and lens combo. normally a higher mp sensor would demand a really remarkable lens to resolve that much detail but it seems the new BSI architecture played a role in keeping the IQ at great level. lens should not impact how the IQ look at High ISO.
How do you know NX1 looks best? It could be any of the three cameras that display the truest representation of the scene.
Or is it that the NX1 images makes the images look closest to your own preference?

When images look this different at base ISO it's not because difference in sensors used. I will not draw any conclusion from this test and will wait for further tests.

The base ISO images from NX1 look great, but I'm pretty sure there would not be any problem to process RAW data from A77II and D750 to look just as good (or better).

QuoteQuote:
from the test, it reads they applied the best sharpening from all cameras and the best lenses so I don't think there is a conspiracy to make the Sony A77 II look bad. even more so with the NX lens which showed a weak corner. maybe 24mm would have done better for cropped sensor cameras. but that would also increase the performance of what is already the existing IQ of both lenses. usually Sony jpegs are better than what NX cameras can produce, so I don't buy the jpeg setting difference also.

considering these are only beta samples from the NX, that is already something worth considering about, especially with the IQ looking good.
I don't believe in conspiracy, or could care less about the Sony A77 II, but I believe in science, and in science you need to use controlled settings when doing scientific tests. And you also need to publish detailed info on how the test was done so anyone can try to repeat the test. What do "best sharpening" really mean?

Using different white balance, contrast, saturation, sharpness and maybe even lightning when trying to compare different cameras, is just not good enough.
10-14-2014, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't believe in conspiracy, or could care less about the Sony A77 II, but I believe in science, and in science you need to use controlled settings when doing scientific tests. And you also need to publish detailed info on how the test was done so anyone can try to repeat the test. What do "best sharpening" really mean?
Then don't bother reading camera tests. They will always have different sensors/image processors/lenses/settings. The RAW files will process out differently in different RAW processors. you will never get a 100% controlled test across different brands.

All you can do is use each camera as though you would in the field and judge the results.
10-14-2014, 08:23 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

I guess the website must not be performing some real scientific testing. seriously? sometimes some people forget the most basic scientific procedure of all. "using their common sense".
10-14-2014, 09:49 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Here is a full images @ISO 3200 from Samsung NX1 and Nikon D7100 from the same site.
http://img1.focus-numerique.com/focus/articles/2034/samsung-nx1-prototype-32...nrstan-big.jpg
http://img1.focus-numerique.com/focus/articles/1643/nikon-d7100-3200iso-nrstan-big.jpg

The and light setting is different and focus differ in differnt positions in the image (D7100 is shaper in the lower right corner of the image and NX1 is sharper in the upper left corner). They probably have not set up the camera position carefully enough.

But at lest it's a D7100 has a 24MP APS-C sensor that capture all light that enter the camera.
My common sense tells me that I will have to wait for further tests to draw any conclusion on how the Samsung 28MP sensor perform.

Last edited by Fogel70; 10-14-2014 at 10:04 PM.
10-22-2014, 11:40 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Samsung NX1 test photos | LetsGoDigital