Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
11-20-2014, 01:05 AM   #31
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was playing with Sony A7 cameras in a shop yesterday. Lovely tech, but the grip ergonomics were not good for me - my hand had to cramp to hold it, and after 10 minutes I had to put it down. Picking up my K-3 later in the afternoon was a welcome relief - I think just how good Pentax DSLR ergonomics are is often overlooked.

My only advice to anyone looking at a Sony A7 is make sure you hold it for a while, and that you are comfortable with how it feels in hand.

No disagreement with the OP about how good the Sony tech is- I am looking forward to it appearing in Pentax cameras soon

11-20-2014, 01:11 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

The thread's title is trolling/flaming, even more so since it was originally opened in the Pentax News and Rumors section.
For the OP, a Romanian proverb: "nu mor caii cand vor cainii" Neither Ricoh Imaging nor Pentax will "die" or be otherwise in trouble just because Sony finally put in-body stabilization in one of their A7 cameras, and reinforced the bayonet.
11-20-2014, 01:15 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bsamcash Quote
I have three must-haves in a camera body: (1) K mount, (2) optical viewfinder, and (3) weather sealing. And I'm sure that many Pentaxians feel the same, so I don't see this body making a huge dent.
Agreed, though I personally would add (4) IBIS to that.
11-20-2014, 02:00 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Maybe I am being dense but I just do not understand what this post is about. Why would Sony releasing a camera make me not buy a Pentax? Or Canon or Nikon for that matter? Seems as if Sony or someone releases a new camera every week. Sorry, not trying to be argumentative, I just don't understand what Sony making yet another camera has to do with Pentax.
Cause with this camera Sony will promptly reach 100 % of market share, leading Canon, Nikon and Pentax to bankrupcy

11-20-2014, 02:01 AM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I was playing with Sony A7 cameras in a shop yesterday. Lovely tech, but the grip ergonomics were not good for me - my hand had to cramp to hold it, and after 10 minutes I had to put it down. Picking up my K-3 later in the afternoon was a welcome relief - I think just how good Pentax DSLR ergonomics are is often overlooked.

My only advice to anyone looking at a Sony A7 is make sure you hold it for a while, and that you are comfortable with how it feels in hand.

No disagreement with the OP about how good the Sony tech is- I am looking forward to it appearing in Pentax cameras soon
Sony heard you: Alpha 7 II has a new grip .

(top: Alpha 7; bottom: Alpha 7 II)

Last edited by Mistral75; 11-20-2014 at 02:19 AM.
11-20-2014, 02:21 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote

I have small hands and its even a problem for me.
A first for me in fact having used quite a few camera types including m4/3.

The solution came with a cheap 3rd party L-bracket.

11-20-2014, 02:48 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Meh, few people like Sony, for many reasons (ergonomics, abandoning customers, Menu system, loud shutter, lack of tradition..). But Sony, with all the models they put out, certainly got it right a couple times, as well. I don't think this means Pentax RIP, because the ibSR in Pentax cameras still works just as it did before Sony added theirs. Its not like all our cameras now stopped the SR function just because Sony added it. If anything, this is a validation of the technology. But it is a rival, true.
Anyway, Ricoh better step up and fund Pentax to be competitive. Sony is not playing around, and Sony doesn't stick to "its own niche" - it wants sales anywhere it can get them.
I wrote in an earlier thread: I hope Pentax sees this as a challenge. Or maybe they can just bundle the Sony sensors along with the SR

11-20-2014, 03:33 AM   #38
Veteran Member

I don't understand the Pentax-is-doomed forum-reflex to this news. It's exciting news, but lets not overdo it.

This is positive in my view. It will, hopefully, spur Pentax some more into doing SOMETHING. Something more exiting then just another feature upgraded, more expensive DSLR. I don't hope they will now go back to the drawing board again and postbone something new into the future.

Secondly, I don't think everybody will now suddenly drop everything and buy this new A7II, not even if they're in love with it. Especially when they're still happy with current gear. New exciting sensor techs have also already been rumored left and right. Personally, I'm frozen in anticipation.

The most positive thing I see from this is the Sony mount expansion. Pretty soon the third party lens manufacturers are going to want to join in and start issuing Sony mount lenses.
11-20-2014, 03:49 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While this A7 is going to be interesting, it certainly isn't targeting the same niche that Pentax seems to be targeting -- small full frame SLR. I don't know how well such a camera will sell for Pentax, but I don't know that Pentax released an A7 clone that it would sell like gang busters either.

What I do know is that you buy into a system for the glass and for all the bodies that Sony has released for the FE mount, the glass is somewhat lacking. The 35mm FE has pretty bad vignetting -- a whole stop, even with auto correction on, at f8. As of right now, the primes that Pentax offers combined with a small full frame body with IBIS would certainly sell me on that system.

I guess the last thing I would mention is that the SLR shape and size is a lot more conducive to shooting for extended period of times with bigger lenses, from an ergonomic standpoint. Sure, you can do it with any camera, but it feels more comfortable with a little chunkier body.
11-20-2014, 03:55 AM   #40
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Sony heard you: Alpha 7 II has a new grip .
It looks like an improvement - I will have to try it again when the A7II's finally get here to NZ, and see how it goes.
11-20-2014, 04:54 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
OH NOES! Pentax is doomed!!!
Seriously though... was reading the press release on Dpreview and it looks to me just like an incremental upgrade, nothing ground-breaking...
Maybe it's only because I don't rely a lot on SR...

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I have small hands and its even a problem for me.
A first for me in fact having used quite a few camera types including m4/3.

The solution came with a cheap 3rd party L-bracket.
I could take a cheap shot at the fact that after all the "it's too big" gripes with the K-01 there's actually someone wanting a larger camera, but I won't.
Mainly because I like larger cameras as well, they're much easier to hold with my hand size...
11-20-2014, 05:15 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Every new camera that is released by Pentax or any other manufacturer prompts the PID comments.
Oy!
I resent how much that comment resembles my user name!

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Those "development efforts" are already underway, and have been for years. Good things are coming...
Like decent firmware that turns Video Sensor Shift back on?

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well maybe we get this in 2016.
Oh, well played Ron, well played!
11-20-2014, 05:41 AM   #43

Did they add a optical viewfinder too?
11-20-2014, 07:32 AM   #44
ogl
Banned

The main idea of this thread - Sony offers 5-axis SR system for FF. Not Pentax.
11-20-2014, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The main idea of this thread - Sony offers 5-axis SR system for FF. Not Pentax.
Yeah but 8 years ago you could have said, "Canon offers a full frame digital camera. Pentax doesn't. RIP."

Then 6 years ago you could have said "Nikon and Canon offer a full frame digital camera. Pentax doesn't. RIP".

Then some 4 years ago you could have said "Sony, Nikon and Canon offer a full frame digital camera. Pentax doesn't. RIP".

Now just because Sony put IBIS in their full frame mirrorless camera (that Pentax already doesn't compete with, and might never try to), all of a sudden, the situation got horribly worse? And you don't see why the thread doesn't make sense at all?
Closed Thread