Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
06-29-2015, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Auto-focus on the A7 is compromised compared to any DSLR. I have a Sony a6000, which has much better AF-C than the A7 II, and the a6000 is still not as good as a K-3 for action, IME. K-3 AF is amazing in low light, the a6000's is pretty poor.

- Vario-Tessar® T* FE 24–70 mm F4 ZA OSS
- FE 70–200 mm F4 G OSS

What do you think those combos will do that a Pentax 16-50 and 50-135mm (or Sigma 17-50 and 50-150 f2.8) won't do? The extra stop on APS-C negates the FF noise advantage.

If you look at DXOMark, you will see that the A7S is only 1/3 of a stop ahead of more pixel-dense full-frame bodies. The new BSI FF sensor will likely match it for noise and will definitely murder it for resolution.

FF lens selection in E-mount is very limited, and most of the lenses that are available are expensive. Don't be taken in by the Zeiss mystique. Pentax lenses are pretty fine as well.

The difference in size is not so impressive either:
Compact Camera Meter
Compact Camera Meter

Last edited by audiobomber; 06-29-2015 at 12:53 PM.
06-29-2015, 12:45 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I feel the OP's pain. I keep trying to figure out a way to do a shift or more likely a 2 system ownership using an A7x model, but the details keep getting in the way.

As previously stated, if one merely goes to existing FE F4 zooms, than one is not particularly any better off noise wise than the K3 with my F2.8 zooms. Worse in some respects.

One thing i love about the K3 is its reliable -3ev focusing capability. Only the A7s (-4ev) and the new A7R II (-3ev) have any significant low light focusing capability. And the A7rII is $3200 before adding lenses. If you have time to do manual focusing than the low light AF is not that big of deal. But a wedding pro, might want the AF i think.

With the new A7R II, one can choose to go with AF Canon EF lenses. Metabones EF-Nex adapter Mark IV (price about 399 USD) provides AF speed apparently as good as Canon for these EF lenses. So one could buy a Canon 24-70 f2.8 for 2 grand or a Canon mount of a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 for much less.

Sigma is supposed to be building lenses for the FE system natively. That would really help to flesh out the system and doubtless lower the zoom prices a bit.

Here's an idea - buy an A6000 aps camera which reportedly has super AF capabilities. Some wedding pros are using it for some of their shots - See Jason Lanier's you tube videos for example. Then buy some lenses that are compatible with FE and use them with the A6000 until such time as you can make the conversion into the body. The A7 R II has not really even been tested much at this point, while the A6000 is a known quantity and about the price of a single low cost lens. I'm considering this approach myself.

Good luck -
06-29-2015, 12:57 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
To make one thing perfectly clear before we keep on discussing: I am not completely mad, so of course any potential gear swap will happen AFTER the wedding shot
Good to hear. I was seriously worried about your sanity but too polite to say so
06-29-2015, 01:09 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Haha i really like this thread so far, some really good answers. To answer all the suggestions about other lenses for the DSLRs or even other DSLRs : i am really really REALLY fine with the performance of my gear! What i was thinking about is a new TOY ;-) I just want to try a EVF camera with focus peeking, now that i think about it :-P

06-29-2015, 01:29 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When weighing the pros and cons, don't forget Sony's lossy Raw format which is considered sub standard. It really may not be a big deal but there are those who consider it to be. Those Zeiss lenses are incredibly expensive, too. In all honesty, I don't see much in anybodies system that makes me want to change from Pentax right now. There are some nice cameras and the Sony is one of them but for me, it would be something I added to my collection and not as a replacement.
06-29-2015, 02:30 PM - 3 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

Haha i really like this thread so far, some really good answers. To answer all the suggestions about other lenses for the DSLRs or even other DSLRs : i am really really REALLY fine with the performance of my gear! What i was thinking about is a new TOY ;-) I just want to try a EVF camera with focus peeking, now that i think about it :-P
another big bonus of the Sony A7 and the A6000 is the wifi remote capabilities using a tablet or phone. Especially weddings I have a Ball Head mounted to a 16ft pole saw handle which I can compose and make all manual adjustments from a android phone on the ground. I like using it in the opposite direction for ground level photos. Saves my back and my laundry.
These ones are taken with Vivitar Series-1 1.9/28mm.

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 06-30-2015 at 03:04 PM.
06-29-2015, 03:20 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks a lot for that extensive answer, Pinholecam.
Lots of stuff to consider. I might still just end up buying an A7 as addition to my Pentax gear and stick with my lenses ^^
Itch is itch, its not governed by logic

Get one, yes, certainly as an addition.
Those smallish Pentax lenses are some of the best options out there for the A7 too.
The Canikon ones are big, so the size/weight gain is so much lesser.

06-29-2015, 04:27 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Thanks a lot for that extensive answer, Pinholecam.
Lots of stuff to consider. I might still just end up buying an A7 as addition to my Pentax gear and stick with my lenses ^^
Thats what I'm toying with....but am going to see what pentax release later this year.....if it's bign heavy and expensive I'll get a A7 something.

---------- Post added 30-06-15 at 09:01 AM ----------

First of all thanks for all the answers.
To make one thing perfectly clear before we keep on discussing: I am not completely mad, so of course any potential gear swap will happen AFTER the wedding shot ;...)
Don't give away playing the mad card so readily.......it seems to be a free pass to all sorts of bad behaviour these days......

Last edited by noelpolar; 06-29-2015 at 08:58 PM.
06-29-2015, 06:49 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Two systems can certainly make sense. I choose the a6000 over the K-3 where it has an advantage; size, especially with the tiny 16-50 power zoom, tilting screen, better video. Street and candids are easier with a small body, superior Live View AF and articulated LCD.

Focus peaking and magnification in the viewfinder are great features that Pentax can't match, and Sony's FP implementation with various colours and strengths is top notch. Special mention for face detect, it is really accurate and capable. Sony has become my main system for portraits (but I rarely shoot portraits). I thought a focal reducer would be fun, but IQ is not up to scratch, soft corners and exaggerated aberrations.

The Touit 12/2.8 is a good substitute for my DA 10-17 and 15mm Limited. I was hoping the Touit 32mm would curb my yen for an FA 31mm, and it probably has, but honestly I can't tell it whether any given image was taken with the K-3/FA 35 or a6000/Touit 32mm, except that the a6000 has more trouble with reds. The cheap but awesome Sigma 60mm f2.8 DN Art is definitely my sharpest lens.

I often carry a medium sized shoulder bag (LowePro Event Messenger 150), with both the K-3 and a6000. The a6000 beats any compact for this application. This bag could not fit two DSLR's, and even if it could, weight would be an issue.

I like having two systems, but it is more costly. If I were forced to use one system, Pentax would be an easy choice for what I do.

Last edited by audiobomber; 06-30-2015 at 04:44 AM.
06-30-2015, 01:01 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
for what they are (Zeiss;
It is a good well corrected lens (on the boring side though IMO), but the only thing from Zeiss is a badge and, at best, glass used.
06-30-2015, 01:44 AM   #26
Veteran Member

a7 is nice but don't let the FA31 and the FA*85 go °__°
06-30-2015, 12:13 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
a7 is nice but don't let the FA31 and the FA*85 go °__°
+1 I don't see how you are going to match those two lenses
06-30-2015, 05:42 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
If you look at DXOMark, you will see that the A7S is only 1/3 of a stop ahead of more pixel-dense full-frame bodies. The new BSI FF sensor will likely match it for noise and will definitely murder it for resolution.
I don't disagree with anything you said in your post, except for the above small quote. I went to DXO mark and compared it to A7II and D750, at 6400iso, A7s is 1.4 stops ahead of the other two FF mentioned. One can downres the A711 and D750 pics, but i don't know how to compare those down res'd pics.
07-06-2015, 12:06 AM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, now that I shot 1818 pictures with the K-3 and the K-5IIs during the wedding, mostly using the FA31, I can now state:
Who in his right mind would ever think about selling Pentax stuff?!?!

I might at some point buy some mirrorless, but damn what was I thinking? I will stick with my Pentax stuff!
I love it!

As soon as I am done with post processing, I will upload some pictures here.
07-06-2015, 01:06 AM   #30
Veteran Member

now that's the magic of the FA 31, changing people's mind

---------- Post added 07-06-15 at 10:06 AM ----------

As soon as I am done with post processing, I will upload some pictures here.
awesome, we are waiting impatienly ^^