Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2018, 11:26 PM   #436
Veteran Member

I just sold my Pentax K-5IIs, DA*55 and several other Pentax lenses to acquire the X-T2 and 35 f/2. It's unbelievable how easy it is to get great images from this camera, and it's simply a joy to use. If it had a flexible-tilt screen like the K-1 it would be perfect. Can't wait to start posting images to this club!

04-13-2018, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #437
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JibbaJab Quote
I just sold my Pentax K-5IIs, DA*55 and several other Pentax lenses to acquire the X-T2 and 35 f/2. It's unbelievable how easy it is to get great images from this camera, and it's simply a joy to use. If it had a flexible-tilt screen like the K-1 it would be perfect. Can't wait to start posting images to this club!
Welcome to the "Dark Side" I did the same thing last year. Sold all my Pentax gear (K-3) and 8 lenses for the Fuji X-T1. I bought the 14mm 2.8, 35mm 1.4 , 90mm F2 , 50-230 and the Zeiss 50mm 2.8 macro.
04-13-2018, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #438
Veteran Member

Fuji is simply amazing. I still own few Pentax lenses, but oh boy, I don't know I can ever go back to DSLR. EVF is just amazing, especially in a harsh daylight. Also, my pics look so much sharper than the ones I use to take with K3II.

Last edited by Pentax_WA; 04-13-2018 at 11:07 AM.
04-13-2018, 09:59 AM   #439
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax_WA Quote
Fuji is simply amazing. I still own few Pentax lenses, but oh boy, I don't know I can ever go back to DSLR. EVF is just amazing, especially in a harsh daylight. Also, my pics look so much sharper than the ones I use to take with K3II.

---------- Post added 04-13-18 at 07:55 AM ----------

Also, my pics look so much sharper than the ones I use to take with K3II.
I know its crazy isn't it? I was comparing my K-3 and FA 31 (Pentax's finest lens) with the X-T1 and their el cheapo 27mm pancake. It wasn't even close

04-13-2018, 11:08 AM   #440
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I know its crazy isn't it? I was comparing my K-3 and FA 31 (Pentax's finest lens) with the X-T1 and their el cheapo 27mm pancake. It wasn't even close
04-13-2018, 12:43 PM   #441
Veteran Member

Welcome to the "Dark Side" I did the same thing last year. Sold all my Pentax gear (K-3) and 8 lenses for the Fuji X-T1. I bought the 14mm 2.8, 35mm 1.4 , 90mm F2 , 50-230 and the Zeiss 50mm 2.8 macro.
I think it was actually one of your posts, Driline, that convinced me to pull the trigger on the Fuji. I think you were expressing something akin to righteous indignation at how effortless it was to get a great image from the Fuji compared to Pentax. I still love my K-1 for the incredible dynamic range and the ease of processing Pentax RAW files in LR. I just won't be pulling it out much unless I have time to post-process.

First selfie with the Fuji. I was messing around with my Cactus V6 triggers and blew the highlights but still, I can't believe how fast and accurate the focus is with this kit. This is handheld at f/2 and holding a flash in my other hand.

04-13-2018, 01:02 PM - 2 Likes   #442
Veteran Member

---------- Post added 04-13-18 at 01:15 PM ----------

I think it was actually one of your posts, Driline, that convinced me to pull the trigger on the Fuji. I think you were expressing something akin to righteous indignation at how effortless it was to get a great image from the Fuji compared to Pentax. I still love my K-1 for the incredible dynamic range and the ease of processing Pentax RAW files in LR. I just won't be pulling it out much unless I have time to post-process.

First selfie with the Fuji. I was messing around with my Cactus V6 triggers and blew the highlights but still, I can't believe how fast and accurate the focus is with this kit. This is handheld at f/2 and holding a flash in my other hand.
I've got the same one, but then I purchased Godox for Fuji and my life changed to be a better person.

04-13-2018, 05:32 PM   #443
Pentaxian

I just won't be pulling it out much unless I have time to post-process.
Yea that's one thing with Fuji. The jpegs are fantastic out of the camera with many opting out of using RAW completely. I only use jpeg myself. It's so much quicker and the results speak for themselves.
I purchased Godox for Fuji and my life changed to be a better person
Yea I'm thinking of purchasing the Godox TT350F myself. I've got Fuji's EF-X20 but I'd really like HSS. So for only $85 i can have that.

---------- Post added 04-13-18 at 07:37 PM ----------

The one Pentax lens I do miss the most is the FA 100 2.8 macro. And yea, I had the FA 31 and the F*300. Possibly the best 2 lenses Pentax ever made. So I ended up giving my little brother the FA 100. I just couldn't sell it. It's that good. It has a 3D effect I just haven't yet been able to reproduce. And yea. You have to get the FA 100 version. No other Pentax 100 macro comes close to this pixie dust.

I mean look at this photo. Try to reproduce that with any other lens.......Impossible I think.

04-13-2018, 06:57 PM   #444
Pentaxian

I mean look at this photo. Try to reproduce that with any other lens.......Impossible I think.
Great shot, but all the macro primes from the film era are highly rated...also the DFA 100 f2.8 has a great reputation and ive seen many fantastic images.Many liken it to limited quality,on the K-1 its at its best.

Ive used the old M series 50 f4 and FA 100 f3.5 on my Fuji bodies and both do very well.
04-13-2018, 11:11 PM   #445
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Welcome to the Fui X club. I just have a lowly X-M1 but I agree that compared to DSLRs it's much easier to get shots that make you look at them again and say "wow...."

I still use the K3 as my main camera though as it does have a number of advantages over the Fuji, not to mention my investment in Pentax lenses, especially the DA limiteds which I love. They can be used on the Fuji of course but it's not the same.

I've noticed that used X-T1s are pretty cheap and plentiful on the second-hand market and I have been tempted to upgrade, even if they have the same sensor as the camera I already have. I'd love to get one of the newer ones with the Acros B&W mode as I've seen some really nice shots using it, though the normal B&W jpegs from the X-M1 are very good indeed.
04-13-2018, 11:33 PM   #446
Veteran Member

The one Pentax lens I do miss the most is the FA 100 2.8 macro. And yea, I had the FA 31 and the F*300. Possibly the best 2 lenses Pentax ever made. So I ended up giving my little brother the FA 100. I just couldn't sell it. It's that good. It has a 3D effect I just haven't yet been able to reproduce. And yea. You have to get the FA 100 version. No other Pentax 100 macro comes close to this pixie dust.
Agreed. The DFA 100 has been stuck on my K-1 since the first day I tried this combination. I've considered selling the FA 31 and 77 to fund the Fujinon 16-55 but I simply can't give up the DFA 100.
04-14-2018, 02:30 AM   #447
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
the Acros B&W mode
If you want ACROS,you will have to buy one of the bodies with the Xtrans 3 sensor(xt2/xpro2/xt20/xe3,Xh1)
04-14-2018, 02:48 AM   #448
Pentaxian

fuji 50-230

---------- Post added 04-14-18 at 08:50 PM ----------

Try to reproduce that with any other lens.
.....................................................................................................................
Attached Images

04-14-2018, 08:59 AM   #449
Veteran Member

Agreed. The DFA 100 has been stuck on my K-1 since the first day I tried this combination. I've considered selling the FA 31 and 77 to fund the Fujinon 16-55 but I simply can't give up the DFA 100.
It was really hard for me to let go of Pentax. They were like my Pets. I am still holding on to my primes, but if there is no use for them, I am thinking of seriously letting all of them go to buy more Fuji/Sony lenses. Fuji 16mm 1.4 is amazing in many levels.
BTW, I do have the 16-55 and it's a beautiful lens. I compared it side by side to my Pentax 16-50 and it blew it out of the water. Pentax images weren't as crisp as Fuji ones, also the starburst and flaring were so much nicer on the Fuji side.
04-14-2018, 09:08 AM   #450
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome! I'm trying to move my 60-250mm, the last of my Pentax AF lenses (I do still own and use a couple of Takumars, though), but for a prime system, Fuji is really good.

Yea that's one thing with Fuji. The jpegs are fantastic out of the camera with many opting out of using RAW completely. I only use jpeg myself. It's so much quicker and the results speak for themselves.

snip....
The JPGs are wonderful, however for some shots, I really like raw. I've just done a comparison of Silkypix, DarkTable, Lightroom (DNG conversion, with LR5.7 that I own), Raw Therapee, Photo Ninja, and Capture One.

I will be purchasing Capture One. For landscape work, you can get results every bit as good at distance as a good Bayer sensor camera, which is my only gripe with the Fuji system (been in it since X-E1 days). It's more the rendering, not the sharpening that LR sucks at.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Welcome to the Fui X club. I just have a lowly X-M1 but I agree that compared to DSLRs it's much easier to get shots that make you look at them again and say "wow...."

I still use the K3 as my main camera though as it does have a number of advantages over the Fuji, not to mention my investment in Pentax lenses, especially the DA limiteds which I love. They can be used on the Fuji of course but it's not the same.

I've noticed that used X-T1s are pretty cheap and plentiful on the second-hand market and I have been tempted to upgrade, even if they have the same sensor as the camera I already have. I'd love to get one of the newer ones with the Acros B&W mode as I've seen some really nice shots using it, though the normal B&W jpegs from the X-M1 are very good indeed.
The X-T1 EVF is wonderful. IMHO, the first generation sensors have truer colours (excepting slightly orangey reds!) than subsequently in the X-T1. I'm also tempted as well;once the X-T3 comes out at the end of summer, I may either get an X-T1 or 2 for backpacking travel where I need weather protection. Either than or a Panny G85 (but that's another conversation).