All I heard was
"blah blah blah... - time to buy a K1

---------- Post added 04-11-16 at 10:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Me too.
---------- Post added 04-11-16 at 10:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Me too!
And, I don't like the Sony - a friend of mine has one and I've played with it extensively. It's got a terrible viewfinder, in my opinion.
So are you fellahs going to buy a K1 or are you just blah blah blahing. It looks like a pretty descent camera for the price.

---------- Post added 04-11-16 at 10:37 PM ----------

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 04-11-2016 at 07:37 PM.
04-11-2016, 11:00 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote

So are you fellahs going to buy a K1 or are you just blah blah blahing. It looks like a pretty descent camera for the price.

---------- Post added 04-11-16 at 10:37 PM ----------

Already pre-ordered, SS, it'll take over FF duties from my A7.
04-11-2016, 11:41 PM - 1 Like   #33
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry, the k50 is a good camera, however I don't think this statement is true. K3 Maybe K1 yes but I can't think of anything that the k50 would be better at than the a6300.
How about weather resistance? Sony has claimed that the A6300 is optimised for dust and moisture resistance, but is neither waterproof nor splashproof. We know the K-50 is perfectly fine with a whole lot more than splashes.

OVF vs EVF... A matter of personal preference, largely, but this does make a difference when capturing moving subjects with continuous shooting. With the Sony EVF, what you see (as you'll know from doing this with your A6000) is the EVF view freezing momentarily, compared to the brief blackout of the mirror flipping up in a DSLR. From personal experience with my Hassy HV, I can say that I prefer shooting moving subjects with my OVF-based Pentax cameras.

Exactly the K50 is a good camera but cannot compare to a $1100 k3 or A6300
That depends on the criteria you're using to compare them. My original reply to the OP, and Norm's reply to yours, isn't suggesting that the A6300 isn't a more technically capable camera overall than the K-50. Of course it is. But in the majority of typical shooting conditions, with prints or screen views at reasonable sizes, there is no reason why you can't get comparable results from the K-50 vs A6300. Are there situations where the A6300 will out-gun the K-50? Sure. Should that make a significant difference in most day-to-day shooting? Absolutely not - if the K-50 is being used to the best of its abilities.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-11-2016 at 11:55 PM.
04-11-2016, 11:42 PM   #34
Pentaxian

I read the DPR review of the A6300 and was quite impressed. Mirrorless cameras really are a very different photographic experience from DSLRs. I love my K200D and my K3 but I also love my little Fuji X-M1. It's very different to use, it does some things better and some things worse than a DSLR and there's no doubt the IQ is fantastic. The jpegs are great and I recently worked out why I like them so much - they look much more like film colours than my Pentax cameras' output. The Sony won't have that but I'm sure it has other great qualities.

04-11-2016, 11:45 PM   #35

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Comparison between Sony A6300 and K-3, which is which ?
I hope the K3 is on the left?
04-12-2016, 05:46 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Already pre-ordered, SS, it'll take over FF duties from my A7.
Cool I've thought of it myself but our Dollar sucks and it's $2500 here
04-12-2016, 06:02 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool I've thought of it myself but our Dollar sucks and it's $2500 here
That really sucks..... it's enough to make you want the price of oil to go back up.

04-12-2016, 06:06 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
How about weather resistance? Sony has claimed that the A6300 is optimised for dust and moisture resistance, but is neither waterproof nor splashproof. We know the K-50 is perfectly fine with a whole lot more than splashes.
A6300 Fully Weather Sealed

---------- Post added 04-12-16 at 09:13 AM ----------

OVF vs EVF... A matter of personal preference, largely, but this does make a difference when capturing moving subjects with continuous shooting. With the Sony EVF, what you see (as you'll know from doing this with your A6000) is the EVF view freezing momentarily, compared to the brief blackout of the mirror flipping up in a DSLR. From personal experience with my Hassy HV, I can say that I prefer shooting moving subjects with my OVF-based Pentax cameras.
The a6300 has eliminated this for shots of 8 per second and less
04-12-2016, 07:05 AM   #39
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

A6300 Fully Weather Sealed
Not according to Sony's own website... Their footnote 20 states:

This camera is designed for optimal dust and moisture resistance, but is not waterproof or splashproof. For FE lenses only.

I guess we'll have to wait for videos of people running one under a tap to wash mud off it before we know to what level it is weather sealed

The a6300 has eliminated this for shots of 8 per second and less
Excellent. A definite improvement over earlier Sony cameras, then.
04-12-2016, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

Not according to Sony's own website... Their footnote 20 states:

This camera is designed for optimal dust and moisture resistance, but is not waterproof or splashproof. For FE lenses only.

I guess we'll have to wait for videos of people running one under a tap to wash mud off it before we know to what level it is weather sealed

Excellent. A definite improvement over earlier Sony cameras, then.
Ricoh never claims Splash or water proof either just Weather Resistant
k-50 Manual says otherwise as well:
Avoid contact with garbage, mud, sand, dust, water, toxic gases, or salt. These could
cause the camera to breakdown. Wipe the came
ra to dry off any rain or water drops.

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 04-12-2016 at 07:36 AM.
04-12-2016, 07:46 AM   #41
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Avoid contact with garbage, mud, sand, dust, water, toxic gases, or salt. These could
Well, you and I could bounce back and forth on this all day - but I'm done for now I'm sure the A6300 is a great camera - and certainly it's more technologically up-to-date than the K-50. The fact remains, under normal shooting conditions and viewed at normal sizes, images from the K-50 will stack up very well against those from the A6300. Close enough that without pixel peeping or viewing at large reproduction sizes, most people wouldn't see the significant difference the OP noticed... but this is down to technique and knowing one's camera.
04-12-2016, 02:28 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Not the K-50 but...

@Heie
04-12-2016, 03:06 PM   #43
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

@bertwert - I was thinking of that video myself But my guess is this will just turn into "Sony says" vs "Pentax says" discussion... which kind of misses the point, which is that the OP should be able to get comparable results with his K-50 to his son's A6300 under typical circumstances if used to it's best abilities... On that point, I don't think we'll see any disagreement without actual examples...
04-12-2016, 11:07 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Lol,the photographer who gets the photo that's he's trying to achieve...is the best in the world(in his mind)

Its all personal satisfaction,if you like the. Shot,its GOOD!....If you don't its not.

No one can judge because beauty is in the eye(or the viewfinder/LCD)of the beholder

If you are professional,that's different,take the $$$ and run.(the mark of a true pro)!

Cameras don't matter,they all capture images...its the level of image that's important to the individual.no more no less. Kwatever ..Sonyinfinity....they all keep getting better as time goes on.

Blah,blah,blah

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-13-2016 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Removed minor vulgarity.
04-13-2016, 02:57 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It probably does take more work to learn Pentax cameras and figure out how to get maximal image quality from them. I can't say that I struggle much with it any more, but I am a RAW shooter and while jpegs are OK, in any kind of non-optimal situation, I have been dissatisfied with them.

Is Sony better? Probably, if you are mostly interested in shooting jpegs and auto modes, but I think in the right hands, Pentax can really shine.