Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-17-2016, 09:32 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
That's why I am going to stick to a cropped sensor. I would like to have a body that utilizes the central sweet spot of a given lens to its full potential. So far I had quite some good time with my A5000 and the Super Takumar glass I got.
For cropped-sensor, go Fuji. A far better platform than Sony APS-C in my experience, and to Canon mirrorless IMO.

07-17-2016, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Consider what type of view you tend to shoot. After 40+ years of film shooting I tried a k-5, and realized I prefer wide angles more, which I lost with the smaller sensor. If you shoot more normal to long lenses it may be fine for you, but I want my 20-28 lenses to give the effect I'm used to. Besides a bunch of Leica R and Canon FL lenses that are also digital orphans, and I found the Sony A7 the best answer for me. Look at used A7 prices before you assume they are out of reach.
07-17-2016, 02:45 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I guess it would depend on what you mean by "qualities".
I've had a great time using various film-era lenses with my K-30.

Not to say that they won't work fine, of course they will. But they were designed in the environment of a bigger image and would be completely different if they had been built for APS. If the intent was to know the lens, its vignetting, aberrations, and bokeh at the edges would matter.
07-17-2016, 04:11 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I use Sony A6000 with K lenses. It gives great results. If you can afford a first gen Sony A7 that would be my recommendation.

07-17-2016, 07:31 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Panasonic Lumix GH4...

Z
07-17-2016, 09:24 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HomeMadeSin Quote

Z
Then I will totally lose any wide-angle ability with my current glass collection.
07-17-2016, 09:24 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Z
In the first post the writer indicates a dislike of m4/3 due to sensor size and preference for apsc.

07-17-2016, 09:35 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
Consider what type of view you tend to shoot. After 40+ years of film shooting I tried a k-5, and realized I prefer wide angles more, which I lost with the smaller sensor. If you shoot more normal to long lenses it may be fine for you, but I want my 20-28 lenses to give the effect I'm used to. Besides a bunch of Leica R and Canon FL lenses that are also digital orphans, and I found the Sony A7 the best answer for me. Look at used A7 prices before you assume they are out of reach.
I do have a ENSINOR 24mm F2.8 Macro Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database and am quite satisfied with its performance on a crop sensor (except CA), and found a 24mm my second favorite besides a 35mm on a crop sensor. I also have a Sigma 135mm F3.5 Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database (though FD variant) and works well as a telephoto lens for trainshooting from a distance.

My current legacy glass collection was built when I used the Olympus E-M1 and Sony A5000 bodies, and are arranged with a crop sensor in mind. I am considering learning photography as a profession but I try to keep upgrade costs down.

---------- Post added 07-17-16 at 09:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clicksworth Quote
Not to say that they won't work fine, of course they will. But they were designed in the environment of a bigger image and would be completely different if they had been built for APS. If the intent was to know the lens, its vignetting, aberrations, and bokeh at the edges would matter.
My intent is to use these glass for my everyday photography (fun, class project, travel, etc.) and I want to just use the central sweet spot for high-quality image. I am also accustomed to the FOV of these lenses on a crop sensor, and crop sensor bodies are cheaper for my purpose. However M43 is a different story as then I will totally lose any wide-angle capability (my widest lens is a 24mm which yields a comfortable 35mm-like FOV).
07-18-2016, 07:20 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
In the first post the writer indicates a dislike of m4/3 due to sensor size and preference for apsc.
Ah, sorry and thanks. I'll do better next time...
07-18-2016, 07:49 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah, sorry and thanks. I'll do better next time...
No worries I had to go back and remember. I otherwise would have suggested the GX7, 8, 85 series.
07-19-2016, 05:37 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Its an A7 or nothing imo.

The apsc options, might as well just use a Pentax DSLR for full functionality.
Fuji X cameras are not known for good legacy lens usage.
m4/3, the crop fact and high pixel density just don't do as well or make much sense with the working distance with most legacy lenses.

So I suggest looking for a used Sony A7
07-19-2016, 09:27 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Its an A7 or nothing imo.

The apsc options, might as well just use a Pentax DSLR for full functionality.
Fuji X cameras are not known for good legacy lens usage.
m4/3, the crop fact and high pixel density just don't do as well or make much sense with the working distance with most legacy lenses.

So I suggest looking for a used Sony A7
What about the midrange Sony mirrorless? i.e. NEX-7, A6000?
07-19-2016, 11:00 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
I use Sony A6000 with K lenses. It gives great results. If you can afford a first gen Sony A7 that would be my recommendation.
You don't miss image stabilization?
07-19-2016, 12:54 PM   #29
Pentaxian

No, I use a mono-pod or flash on rare occasions where I would need stabilization.
07-19-2016, 05:26 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've used cameras without stabilization for over 50 years, often down to 1/15 with a 50mm lens. I still shoot 250 and 400 mm hand-held on an A7 with no stabilization.
Yes, I have seen how it can help on my k-5, but the k-5 is still the camera I use least.
My most used digital is Leica M9 - no stabilization and mediocre ISO range, but it's my favorite for low light.
Learn good technique, and be stable yourself!