Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2016, 06:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

GoPro

I would like to get a GoPro. I noticed used the Hero 3 is in my budget.

I can not figure out if the battery is removable? That is important.

Are there other models I can consider?

I figure getting a used GoPro is a better idea than a new imitation GoPro (the ones on ebay
from china)

07-18-2016, 07:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK no need to relpy now. I did some research and determined a slightly used Hero 3 bundle package with all the needed accessories optimized the buy for me. I did examine the Hero 3 and 3+. The Hero 4 was not in the budget. So this replaces the Ricoh WG model that sprung a leak after 5 uses.
07-18-2016, 08:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
I can not figure out if the battery is removable? That is important.
Are there other models I can consider?
The Hero 3 series do have removable batteries, as do the Hero 4's. I think the only recent GoPro without removable batteries is the Hero Session.

I bought a Hero Session at a sale. It's smaller than normal GoPro's if size is the priority.

I looked at other action cameras - Ricoh WG M1, the Sony's, even the Xiaomi Yi - but went with the Session mainly because the size was important (and price), but also because it would work with all the millions of accessories out there for GoPro. GoPro support and information also seemed to be very extensive:

https://gopro.com/help
07-18-2016, 08:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
OK no need to relpy now. I did some research and determined a slightly used Hero 3 bundle package with all the needed accessories optimized the buy for me. I did examine the Hero 3 and 3+. The Hero 4 was not in the budget. So this replaces the Ricoh WG model that sprung a leak after 5 uses.
Which WG model leaked, the new one that was just released or the older model?

07-18-2016, 09:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ricoh WG-30 bought "used" on amazon but it was still in all the plastic wrap and had the twist ties on it. I'm disappointed it happened. I had a failure of a Fuji XP80 that was my fault (failure to properly close the door securely) so after that I was always 300 percent careful. My main criteria (other than cost) was a wide angle FOV and being able to change batteries on the fly (as well as being waterproof). I also read that the GoPro is "professional" quality while others are just "user" quality.