Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-13-2016, 07:22 AM   #1

How to use a mic properly on a DLSR camera?

I'm trying to use a USB microphone with my DLSR camera, but I found no correct tutorials on how to do it. My "gear" is in the picture. I also have a Canon EOS 550D camera. NOTE: The microphone DOES NOT have an audio jack.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-N9005  Photo 
09-13-2016, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

A quick search via Google tells me that the D3100 can't be used with an external microphone (even using the USB port)...

EDIT: And a second quick search tells me that the Canon EOS550D external mic input is jack only... So a USB microphone isn't going to be any use to you, I'm afraid.
09-13-2016, 08:23 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
A quick search via Google tells me that the D3100 can't be used with an external microphone (even using the USB port)...

EDIT: And a second quick search tells me that the Canon EOS550D external mic input is jack only... So a USB microphone isn't going to be any use to you, I'm afraid.
Well is there any software for a computer to connect the microphone and the camera? So I can record from the camera's video/image output and use the microphone at the same time without delay?
09-13-2016, 08:32 AM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

For the D3100, no.

For the Canon, you could run the line out of your PC to the microphone port of the camera using an appropriate cable. The problem you're going to have, though, is that due to the analogue-to-digital conversion taking place with the USB microphone, you will definitely get some latency. That's just a fact of life with USB microphones.

I believe some video editing software will let you shift the audio tracks in post production, but I'm not a video guy so can't recommend any software...

You really need to be using your Canon, and a microphone with analogue jack output.

09-13-2016, 05:44 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You record the audio with your microphone on something like a Zoom, and sync it with the video in post. The old clapper boards in the motion picture era were to assist the editor. You can ask your subject to clap their hands together once when the camera starts rolling, then commence the scene.