Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-02-2016, 11:59 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My teenage son is asking about GoPro-alternatives

My eldest son is asking for photographic advice - which makes me happy!

I am very much a still photographer though, and he is looking for something to shoot video. He asks me about alternatives to buying a GoPro - same quality video, and reasonably sturdy.

I would love to help him, but I really only know dSLRs. So, in my experience you can get brilliant advice on anything photo related in here: Can any of you help me help my son?

Thanks!

10-02-2016, 12:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Question is, why does he want an alternative?
10-02-2016, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

For a POV camera I have found the Drift cameras excellent. I have used their Drift Chost S for 100s of hours and the results are excellent. They are about to release a 4K version in the same form factor. What I find with the GoPro is the shape of the camera is all wrong if mounting it external on a bike or helmet where a lot of the others have the bullet shape. The Drift also has loop recording so you don't miss any action. It is like pre-event, up to 5 minutes prior record button press.

Also I think you are paying for the GoPro name n the higher price.

Hope this helps.
10-02-2016, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Go Pro 5 Black is new to market,check it out on YouTube.....links in nicely with their Karma drone.

The YI action cams are good, 2 models 1080 and 4K.$ave some $$$ if you don't want to pay GP prices.

10-02-2016, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If budget is the primary concern, you can't beat buying direct from China. I have personally shopped a lot at Gearbest (good, not too slow) and Fasttech (cheaper and very slow)
Yi or Elephone make medium quality, high-spec action cams for dirt cheap, plus there are other China domestic brands that make low-quality medium-spec kit for the price of a big lunch.
Action Camera: Best Actioncam and Sports Camera for Sale Online | GearBest.com
10-02-2016, 04:50 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
He asks me about alternatives to buying a GoPro - same quality video, and reasonably sturdy.
If he wants something to do video, and it needs to be an action camera (ie tough, compact, waterproof etc), the Ricoh WG-M1 or WG-M2 also spring to mind, as do several Sony action cams.

But in terms of action cameras, you can't beat GoPro for the availability of millions of after-market accessories, and very good software support (on the desktop and mobile).

If his main priority is video though, he really should look into other cameras aside from GoPro class cameras. All action cameras have very small sensors and not-great lenses. Anyone mainly interested in video will soon outgrow an action cam, I think.
10-02-2016, 11:44 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Question is, why does he want an alternative?
Budget. Which is a shared concern: He is 15 years old, and one way or another most of his funding would be though me...

He was asking about the YI - and it seems like a reasonable choice at half the price of GoPro. Most reviews are very favourable, they mention that the design is ripped off GoPro - but that's not really an issue in this context.

I have a couple of the older compacts in the WG-series, and was never completely impressed (they both took in water at some point) - but when I look at the WG-M2 now, I can see that they changed quite a bit since then. I will point him to them!

QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
For a POV camera I have found the Drift cameras excellent. I have used their Drift Chost S for 100s of hours and the results are excellent. They are about to release a 4K version in the same form factor. What I find with the GoPro is the shape of the camera is all wrong if mounting it external on a bike or helmet where a lot of the others have the bullet shape. The Drift also has loop recording so you don't miss any action. It is like pre-event, up to 5 minutes prior record button press.

Also I think you are paying for the GoPro name n the higher price.

Hope this helps.
Thanks! Never heard of the Drift cameras - I can see they get good reviews as well.

Now I have a couple of alternatives for him to look at. Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it!