Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2017, 02:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Profoto announcing HSS TTL remote for Fuji has me all hot and bothered

TLDR: I miss my X-T1 and I wanna sell my Nikon gear and replace it with an XT2 kit. I only shoot professionally as of late.

2015 - I'm flying high, getting lots of cool creative photo gigs and some well paying wedding stuff, I got a cushy corporate day job. I have 3 kits... Penax K3/K5 kit, XT1 kit, and my Nikon D810/D800 kit. My lighting is Profoto B1. It's a great time.

2015 - I lose my cushy day job, I don't have enough photo work to go full pro, and I'm building a house so I need a new job. The new job takes up an extra 30 hours a month and I stop taking as many photo jobs. (less than a third). I house build also gets a little pricey so I start selling gear. All my Pentax gear (aside from my LX and FA Limited primes) get sold as I stopped using them almost 100% after I got my XT1... then it got real hard between the XT and the D810 kit. I ultimately decided on keeping the Nikon kit due to the full frame sensor, mega pixels for large prints (printing wedding portraits in the 5 foot long area often enough) and compatibility with my lighting.

Now the XT-2 is out and Profoto is coming out with a Fuji compatible trigger... The XT2 solves 90% of my very short list of issues with the XT1. I was planning on getting one with this Christmas already to fill in as a holiday trip camera... but now I'm debating on getting rid of all my Nikon gear and buying XT2. I've already talked with my local camera store and I'm about $1000 owing on replacing all my NIkon with equivalent Fuji.

Big reasons why I want to do this?
1: The EVF and working with it is amazing. I prefer it actually. Seeing a preview of your exposure live is fantastic, especially for events and weddings.

2: The size. by the end of the day shooting a 10 hour wedding my body hates my Nikon kit. It weighs an absolute ton! The Fuji kit would be near half the weight.

3: I would not need to buy into a second kit just for casual and holidays. I hate bringing my Nikon out for holiday or road trips, and I never shoot it casually because of the weight/size. It's so obtrusive. I actually grab my LX and 31mm FA more for casual than my D810.

4: Fuji has some of the best color rendering out there!

5: 4k video

Why I don't want to do this:

1: Full frame vs APSC. There is something to be said for the FF advantages

2: Still less mega pixels. Which worries me for those large prints that I do.

3: DSLR reliability

Note: none of the reasons are for image quality. it's all user experience....

Last edited by Wired; 09-13-2017 at 03:06 PM.
09-13-2017, 03:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Of your concerns:

The first is probably in your head as much as in reality beyond maybe 1-1.5 stops better low light capabilities. My guess is your clients won't be able to tell the difference, nor care.

The second is potentially a snag. Rent an XT2 with a lens you plan to own, take some test shots with it and the d810, and make a pair of test print, one from the Nikon and one from the XT2. You might just find that upressing the XT2 gets you want you want/need for quality.

Third, both are electronics and can fail at any time. You can buy two XT2's for the price of a new D850 and almost get two 50-140 f2.8's for the price of the new Nikon 70-200 VR II. Three if you need the anniversary edition.
09-13-2017, 08:10 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
The second is potentially a snag. Rent an XT2
A good idea, but not yet....the firmware update is coming for most of the Fuji bodies..Nov/Dec.It changes the camera.

Both the XPro2 and XT2 will get faster AF(like the announced XE-3)...xp2 get upgraded to 4K video(its the model with the OVF/EVF combo.)Check out the Fuji website for comprehensive details.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Fuji has some of the best color rendering out there!
Its nice!but so is Acros film simulation for B&W enthusiasts!
09-14-2017, 09:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
A good idea, but not yet....the firmware update is coming for most of the Fuji bodies..Nov/Dec.It changes the camera.

Both the XPro2 and XT2 will get faster AF(like the announced XE-3)...xp2 get upgraded to 4K video(its the model with the OVF/EVF combo.)Check out the Fuji website for comprehensive details.

Its nice!but so is Acros film simulation for B&W enthusiasts!

I'll be holding off till Christmasish to take the plunge again.... It would mean selling all my Nikon gear so I need to make sure I'm making the right decision to do this move. I'm not going to get into the trap of running multiple systems again!

The B&W Acros is pretty sexy....