Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
10-30-2017, 05:28 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Ask and you shall receive: DC2000 Camera | Sealife Cameras

I know very little about the camera or the company but it checks off a lot of your requirements.
I do kayaking and a little snorkeling, so this is interesting, John, thanks for posting!

10-30-2017, 05:33 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kodiak Quote
Hi Folks,
I'm in love with my new-to-me K-S2, but there is no way I'm going to travel (domestic air travel, international air travel, etc) with ~50oz of camera, glass, chargers etc. Aside from the weight and wanting to be able to continue travelling carry-on-only, I'd be bummed if my primary photog setup was damaged or stolen.

Because of these concerns, I'm looking for a secondary camera that still takes great photos for travel, and also to just keep in my commuter backpack that goes into the city with me daily.

If I hadn't seen a friend get exactly 1 adventure day out of his Sony RX100, and read many other similar horror stories (condensation kills, sand, mist, etc) - I'd probably just try to get any old 1"-sensor super zoom. But since I am often in rainy, misty, dusty areas I think I need to have something about as weather proof as my S2 to feel safe taking it everywhere.

I also shoot primarily in low light, walking around after dark in cities, during sunrises etc.

Given my needs, I'm leaning toward a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ300K because of the weather resistance, micro-usb charge on the go, and constant 2.8 aperture. Unfortunately it only has a 1/2.3" MOS sensor and I'm worried that regardless of the good glass and big f2.8 aperture, it's going to take not-great night shots.
LUMIX FZ300 4K 24X F2.8 Long Zoom Digital Camera - DMC-FZ300K - Panasonic US

Anyone else have similarly priced counter-recommendations for weatherproof 1" or APS-C super-zooms?

Thanks!

PS: Flickr shots taken with the Fz300: fz300 photos on Flickr | Flickr
That K-S2 and 18-50 you have Kodiak is surely the smallest, lightest, WR DSLR combo anyone could buy!

Next year my wife and I are going to the US and the UK for a month and I'll probably take my K-S2, DA15, FA31 and FA77, 540 flash and carbon tripod, with a Canon G7X for backup. We'd be doing a *lot* of hiking and cycling.
10-30-2017, 05:51 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
That K-S2 and 18-50 you have Kodiak is surely the smallest, lightest, WR DSLR combo anyone could buy!

Next year my wife and I are going to the US and the UK for a month and I'll probably take my K-S2, DA15, FA31 and FA77, 540 flash and carbon tripod, with a Canon G7X for backup. We'd be doing a *lot* of hiking and cycling.
I'm one of those wacky "ultralight backpackers" and also a "one-bag traveller" so for years now I've been conditioning myself to get by with less. For example I agonized over the additional 14oz of point-and-shoot weight a hauled into Death Valley. So while the K-S2 is pretty light with an 18-135 for being a DSLR, it's not all that light in general. Start adding on additional batteries (to save having to bring the wall-wart), a fisheye or UWA, something fast enough for night use etc etc and suddenly you're 4 pounds heavier at least. Add to that the mental anguish of TSA manhandling my stuff and I think for most trips I'm going to have to compromise and use a cheaper superzoom of some sort.
10-30-2017, 06:11 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kodiak Quote
I'm one of those wacky "ultralight backpackers" and also a "one-bag traveller" so for years now I've been conditioning myself to get by with less. For example I agonized over the additional 14oz of point-and-shoot weight a hauled into Death Valley. So while the K-S2 is pretty light with an 18-135 for being a DSLR, it's not all that light in general. Start adding on additional batteries (to save having to bring the wall-wart), a fisheye or UWA, something fast enough for night use etc etc and suddenly you're 4 pounds heavier at least. Add to that the mental anguish of TSA manhandling my stuff and I think for most trips I'm going to have to compromise and use a cheaper superzoom of some sort.
Sure, we're all different.

Forum member Fries did a very interesting week long camping hike in Norway. And brought the K-1, DA*300 and Samyang 24mm ... A seven day autumn hike with a tent, one camera and two lenses - PentaxForums.com

My wife and I will travel next year with one suitcase and one bag each. I will probably have the K-S2 and three Limiteds for hikes and walking, but for cycling just the G7X wrapped in a kayaker's drybag and put inside a trail runner's backpack.

10-30-2017, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Sure, we're all different.

Forum member Fries did a very interesting week long camping hike in Norway. And brought the K-1, DA*300 and Samyang 24mm ... A seven day autumn hike with a tent, one camera and two lenses - PentaxForums.com

My wife and I will travel next year with one suitcase and one bag each. I will probably have the K-S2 and three Limiteds for hikes and walking, but for cycling just the G7X wrapped in a kayaker's drybag and put inside a trail runner's backpack.
Yep - and for truly beautiful places like the backwoods of Norway I could see taking the K-S2 and a single UWA - that place was made for landscapes and starry nights. For cities and whatnot, I'm going to try out a super-zoom and see if it saves me a lot of hassle and stress about expensive stuff getting broken or mugged. I'll have to pick something by Spring when I go to San Fran. Hopefully there will be a bunch of prior-year stuff on clearance by then.
11-03-2017, 05:15 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a G9X and a G7Xii. Both are great tittle cameras that do very well in low light. A waterproof rugged camera that you are looking for will have a smaller sensor. So, as long as daylight shots are what you are planning to do it will be fine. But you 'll need a bigger sensor for getting a low light shot that is closer to what your KS-2 can manage.

I used the G9X as a backup to my KP on a recent trip to Italy. Its shirt pocket pocketable and was the camera that was always with me.

The G7Xii is slightly larger but has a better lens and has the tilt screen. Since it has a 1.8 to f2.8 aperture and a slightly sharper lens, its a low light monster for the sensor size. I recently did a road trip from my home in Connecticut to Austin Texas via New Orleans and used the G7Xii and my GR2 as my only two cameras and was not disappointed in either.
11-03-2017, 06:53 AM   #22
Pentaxian

The Olympus OMD EM5 ii is weather resistant. The four-thirds sensor should be reasonably good at low light. Research to see if it fits your weight requirement.

There's also the EM1 but that gets much more expensive.

05-13-2018, 03:46 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

$$$ony bridge.