Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-16-2018, 02:42 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Leica's found on Shopgoodwill!

While online windowshopping more on the goodwill site, found these two on there:

Vintage Leica Camera W/Ernst Leitz Wetzlar Lens - shopgoodwill.com

Early 1950's Leica Leitz M3 35mm Film Camera - shopgoodwill.com

My question is: Why would anyone donate a Leica camera to goodwill? (especially without googleing it first just to see how much they couldve gotten out of it).

04-16-2018, 03:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Having been through some house 'cleanouts' from relatives who have passed it is not that hard to believe. At some point you just want to get it all over with. And dumping it at Goodwill gets it gone. And not everyone knows what a Leica is or would have any idea how to value or sell it. If you are not familiar with the name it means no more than a $5 Pentax point & shoot.
04-16-2018, 04:09 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Most people have never heard of Leica, and they just look like funny old cameras. They may well have been rescued from attics, where they baked and froze. I was offered a couple very similar to these (within a year or so) from an old acquaintance whose children had no interest. They had been stored in a Texas attic for decades, and while they looked good, needed new shutter curtains and good overhauls.
Considering that, the listed prices may not be bargains, although the M3 is a first-year model (mine is a year later).
I did buy the batch I was offered, and the cost to service them (as I expected) was a bit more than the cost. It was worth it to let the acquaintance borrow them to use again after so long.
04-16-2018, 07:00 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
They come up on Goodwill from time to time. No way I would risk that much money on Goodwill. Too easy to get burned (I'm looking at you Goodwill of Columbus).

04-16-2018, 07:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
While online windowshopping more on the goodwill site, found these two on there:

Vintage Leica Camera W/Ernst Leitz Wetzlar Lens - shopgoodwill.com

Early 1950's Leica Leitz M3 35mm Film Camera - shopgoodwill.com

My question is: Why would anyone donate a Leica camera to goodwill? (especially without googleing it first just to see how much they couldve gotten out of it).
Did you get lucky and could buy them ?
04-16-2018, 09:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Did you get lucky and could buy them ?
Naah, they're a bit too rich for my blood, and besides you know how much film & other film gear I could buy for just the price of one of those? Haha
04-16-2018, 11:33 PM - 1 Like   #7

Take a look at the "HOT 50" at shop goodwill

2.10Ct Princess Diamond Cert G-VS2 14K Halo Ring - shopgoodwill.com

(2.10Ct Princess Diamond Cert G-VS2 14K Halo Ring. $17,000.00 & change)

I have bought camera equipment from them and I'm 0 for 9 on getting a usable item. Its like Russian roulette with bullets in every chamber.