Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2018, 10:20 AM   #16
Pentaxian

If they lose half it would not surprise me. Half from their peak of dominance is not out of the question. First the dslr market is shrinking. Second they are facing lots of competition from smaller companies. Right now you have at least 4 or 5 good alternatives to Canon or Nikon.

The demographics and competitive landscape is changing. Technology is also changing a lot too.

Think of how many professional filmmakers and photographers use drones and go pro now.

The game is changing a lot if you ask me.

05-13-2018, 11:39 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
You should write a post about your experience with the K-1 as a wedding camera. The K-1 is probably the best architecture/landscape camera you can buy short of medium format, but it struggles when photographing events. You can do it. You can plan ahead and try to compensate for they known weaknesses, but its definitely harder to use a K-1 for wedding work than it is for several other cameras. Ricoh just needs to improve the AF and the buffer and they have an excellent wedding camera.
I have commented several times in other threads. I was informed you can shoot weddings with a K-1. (doh)
I could also shoot with a 4x5 view camera, but would I?
05-13-2018, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Fuji's comments may or may not come true
Remember when they said that in-body image stabilization would hurt image quality?
They'll say whatever suits their purpose at the moment.
05-13-2018, 12:31 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Remember when they said that in-body image stabilization would hurt image quality?
They'll say whatever suits their purpose at the moment.
Yet there's their name up there in the lights again.

05-13-2018, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Mirrorless' unique thinking evangelists are like climatosceptics : besides facts.
05-13-2018, 02:02 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I think camera should be redesigned to take full advantage of new sensor technology, instead of stuffing new sensor in to existing platform. It is like Tesla v/s Prius(Toyota). Established players may take Prius approach(slow transition approach) compared to new comers.
05-13-2018, 02:10 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Here's my guess/prediction.

Looking at the flat CIPA mirrorless sales, Fuji have sold a fraction of their pricey APS-C products they promised their board they would and exit the camera market before Canon and Nikon do.

Same for their MF products.

Do I get published in F-Stoppers or DPR, then?

05-13-2018, 02:11 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Here's my guess/prediction.

Looking at the flat CIPA mirrorless sales, Fuji have sold a fraction of their pricey APS-C products they promised their board they would and exit the camera market before Canon and Nikon do.

Same for their MF products.

Do I get published in F-Stoppers or DPR, then?
Would you want that? You have a reputation to protect.
05-13-2018, 02:11 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
https://www.fujirumors.com/internal-fujifilm-document-predicts-50-market-sha...ff-mirrorless/

Here is the link to the original news item...note the date May 4th, Fstoppers took a long while to comment on this.Probably short of something to write about...I read this the day it surfaced and thought it not newsworthy then and its OLD not newsworthy now!

Fuji are doing plenty of new stuff for their devotees to be excited about but this " news" isnt worth thinking about.
05-13-2018, 02:19 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Would you want that? You have a reputation to protect.
(Laughs).

Remember, Fuji led an advertising offensive saying Full Frame wasn't the way to go, APS-C is The Man.

I think they should concentrate on their own problems, instead of running negative campaigns.
05-13-2018, 02:25 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I think they should concentrate on their own problems, instead of conducting negative campaigns.
What are their problems?...Fujifilm is making $$$$,their only problems are R/Ding to further advance their diversified product range.
05-13-2018, 02:34 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

High frame rates strike me as being like 0-100 acceleration times – great for a wow factor, but limited in applicability, beyond a certain figure. Wow factor sells to some, though. However, AF speed/accuracy and technologies like eye-selection are other matters. Nonetheless, MILCs are moving more quickly in all those areas, it seems, even if DSLRs can take up some of them in new models. A hybrid OVF/EVF body, as envisaged elsewhere, would be able to take best advantage of all those things, retain the OVF and probably occupy a bigger niche than the one Pentax does now.
05-13-2018, 02:42 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
probably occupy a bigger niche than the one Pentax does now.
It's the "probably" thing that's the problem.
05-13-2018, 09:49 PM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

They can be, but the speed is wasted on a camera that has a mirror and uses a separate PDAF sensor. In order to shoot at 20fps with a DSLR the mirror is basically locked up and the OVF is blacked out. With the OVF, what you see is NOT what you are taking pictures of. In order for you to see it, the mirror has to be down and thus preventing the sensor from capturing the image. A 32MP 8K camera capable of 30fps should be here by 2020.

So yes the new technology could be put into a DSLR, but a DSLR would not be capable of using the technology so it would be a huge waste of money.
A bunch of micro-decisions will decide market share in upcoming years. FPS will be important to limited number of photographers. Allowing owners of current lenses to keep using those lenses will be important - Canon most likely has upper hand there. Providing services to bottom rung will be important - most likely that means providing good high ISO JPEGs, which Pentax shines at if they can just get attention.
05-13-2018, 10:08 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

Fuji just lost it's projected grip on Xerox.
Time to grab Canikon