Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-20-2018, 03:22 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It doesn't make any sense. How long have we been beating the drum that Sony's sensors are "way better" than Canon sensors? Even while Canon cameras consistently out sell cameras with Sony sensors in them.

Canon has a good pricing (particularly on glass) and presence in stores around the world. That is what gets folks enter the EOS system. I'm still not buying the whole "SLRs are dying" mantra, but even if they are, Canon doesn't have to release an A9 or A7 III knock off to immediately have good sales. They just have to get something onto the market. I just don't know that they feel a need to get something out of the door when they still own 60 percent of the market.

05-20-2018, 07:13 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It doesn't make any sense. How long have we been beating the drum that Sony's sensors are "way better" than Canon sensors? Even while Canon cameras consistently out sell cameras with Sony sensors in them.

Canon has a good pricing (particularly on glass) and presence in stores around the world. That is what gets folks enter the EOS system. I'm still not buying the whole "SLRs are dying" mantra, but even if they are, Canon doesn't have to release an A9 or A7 III knock off to immediately have good sales. They just have to get something onto the market. I just don't know that they feel a need to get something out of the door when they still own 60 percent of the market.
Canon is a juggernaut in the industry. Just like Kodak was, and Sears was, and a dozen other companies. What got Canon to this point was the lack of competition. When the 5D original launched, Canon had the best sensors in the industry. Canon set the bar. Canon had the best autofocus. Nikon had some successes during this time, like the D700 and the recent D850, but Nikon has also had several blunders with QC, and lack of video. The lack of video has to due with Sony sensors trailing Canon in this feature for years. Its really not until the A7s line that Sony surpassed Canon in sensor video performance. Canon's 5DII was not as good of a camera as the Sony A900, but the 5DII introduced the new must have DSLR feature, HD video. Sony was asleep at the wheel. Its really only with the release of the Sony A9 that mirrorless has exceeded DSLRs in many ways.

Not long ago Canon lead the industry in sensors. They have been passed by the the competition. It was not long ago that Sigma lenses were basically junk. Sigma now rivals Canon and Nikon in many ways for glass. Not long ago people speculated that Sony would get out of the industry. Sony was failing at everything but making sensors. Canon is like Sears or Kodak. They are only a few key decisions away being part of history, just like every other company. Asahi-Pentax was at one point larger than Canon.
05-20-2018, 09:52 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Canon is a juggernaut in the industry. Just like Kodak was, and Sears was, and a dozen other companies. What got Canon to this point was the lack of competition. When the 5D original launched, Canon had the best sensors in the industry. Canon set the bar. Canon had the best autofocus....

Not long ago Canon lead the industry in sensors.....
No, no, no.

What got Canon to this point was their decision thirty years ago to abandon the FD-mount and jump straight to the EF-mount with USM motors. I know I was impressed ... I left Pentax for Canon, and only after I was seeing issues with Canon bodies did I leave my {small} collection of EF-mount lenses and come back to Pentax. Nikon and Pentax wandered around for thirty years and did eventually get to the same point. Nikon and Pentax preserved compatibility, but the cost to Nikon is a maze of uncertainty about individual case-by-case compatibility and the cost to Pentax may have been mostly in focusing speed
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I Just bought a second hand 55-300 PLM, for the first few images, it was hard to believe it was the same camera.
So, now Canon has a vast inventory of modern lenses in the hands of users, ....and the first chore of every other manufacturer is convincing satisfied users to leave those lenses behind.

added: I haven't actually owned anything other than Canon and Pentax, but I have tried some in stores. The MILC systems {even Q-mount} feel like EF-mount, so only issue faced by companies like Sony and Fuji is availability and existing distribution of lenses .... but that still is an issue for them.

Last edited by reh321; 05-20-2018 at 10:05 AM. Reason: added comment
05-20-2018, 01:21 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Canon is a juggernaut in the industry. Just like Kodak was, and Sears was, and a dozen other companies. What got Canon to this point was the lack of competition. When the 5D original launched, Canon had the best sensors in the industry. Canon set the bar. Canon had the best autofocus. Nikon had some successes during this time, like the D700 and the recent D850, but Nikon has also had several blunders with QC, and lack of video. The lack of video has to due with Sony sensors trailing Canon in this feature for years. Its really not until the A7s line that Sony surpassed Canon in sensor video performance. Canon's 5DII was not as good of a camera as the Sony A900, but the 5DII introduced the new must have DSLR feature, HD video. Sony was asleep at the wheel. Its really only with the release of the Sony A9 that mirrorless has exceeded DSLRs in many ways.

Not long ago Canon lead the industry in sensors. They have been passed by the the competition. It was not long ago that Sigma lenses were basically junk. Sigma now rivals Canon and Nikon in many ways for glass. Not long ago people speculated that Sony would get out of the industry. Sony was failing at everything but making sensors. Canon is like Sears or Kodak. They are only a few key decisions away being part of history, just like every other company. Asahi-Pentax was at one point larger than Canon.
Sony beats Canon in size, funding and marketing which are as important as product they are selling. If non-Canon sensor is good for business then Canon should/may go with that brand of sensor. PC makers do not make their own CPU. I do not know why Canon takes the burden of making their own sensor.

05-21-2018, 06:06 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

What you forgot is that Sony doesn't have competition in the full frame mirrorless department and this is the main reason why Sony gained some market share. This will change in a couple of months and then we have to see if Sony will increase or keep their market share. Some Canon and Nikon shooters went to Sony due to the fact that there are no options in Canon and Nikon boats regarding full frame mirrorless cameras. If you ask me, Sony is in more danger than Canon (perhaps even than Nikon) due to their big investments in A7 line. Not to mention Sony prices which are higher than Canon and Nikon, at least when comes to lenses.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 05-22-2018 at 11:30 PM.