Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2018, 06:46 AM   #1
Forum Member

Super Takumar (M42) screw mount adapter for Sony E mount - advice please

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi there,

I've got a set of mint condition vintage Super Takumar lenses coming to me and I will use them on my Sony A7III with an adapter.

There are a couple of different adapters on the market and I was wondering if anyone has used them with the Sony E mount cameras and can recommend which one would be best?

The lenses I have coming are:
• SMC Takumar f3.5/35mm
• SMC Takumar f4/200mm
• SMC Takumar f2.5/135mm (model 2)
• Takumar extension tube set

Just wondering if I should go for the FotodioX M42 or the K&F Concept adapter (of which there seem to be two).
Some users have reported that the Super Takumars wont's work with the adapters so its a bit confusing on deciding which one to get.

K&F:
K&F Concept M42 Lenses to Sony NEX E Mount Camera Adapter
K&F Concept M42 Screw Lenses to Sony NEX E Camera Mount Copper Adapter

FotofioX
FotodioX M42 Lens to Sony E-Mount Camera Pro M42-SNYE-PRO-V2 B&H

I am using a K&F Pentax K-mount to Sony NEX adapter with another lens and its awesome.

Also, if I have a M42 adaptor, what other brands of lenses might I be able to attache to it (aside from the Takumars)?

Cheers.

06-06-2018, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by abw Quote
Hi there,

I've got a set of mint condition vintage Super Takumar lenses coming to me and I will use them on my Sony A7III with an adapter.

There are a couple of different adapters on the market and I was wondering if anyone has used them with the Sony E mount cameras and can recommend which one would be best?

The lenses I have coming are:
• SMC Takumar f3.5/35mm
• SMC Takumar f4/200mm
• SMC Takumar f2.5/135mm (model 2)
• Takumar extension tube set

Just wondering if I should go for the FotodioX M42 or the K&F Concept adapter (of which there seem to be two).
Some users have reported that the Super Takumars wont's work with the adapters so its a bit confusing on deciding which one to get.

K&F:
K&F Concept M42 Lenses to Sony NEX E Mount Camera Adapter
K&F Concept M42 Screw Lenses to Sony NEX E Camera Mount Copper Adapter

FotofioX
FotodioX M42 Lens to Sony E-Mount Camera Pro M42-SNYE-PRO-V2 B&H

I am using a K&F Pentax K-mount to Sony NEX adapter with another lens and its awesome.

Also, if I have a M42 adaptor, what other brands of lenses might I be able to attache to it (aside from the Takumars)?

Cheers.
I don't know anything about Sony, so I won't try to answer your main question.

Concerning your last line, M42 was heavily used in the Soviet Union, so there are lots of FSU {Former Soviet Union} lenses available in M42 only, known for the quality of their bokeh. I have a Mir-1b 37mm lens, which has lots of iris blades, and their ends are rounded, so the bokeh is essentially circles.
06-06-2018, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Shouldn't really matter which adapter you pick. Just a piece of metal and plastic really. The K&F look more solid and thought about to me. There are lots of m42 lenses besides Takumar for Pentax.
06-06-2018, 08:33 AM   #4
abw
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies

06-06-2018, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here are a few for you to choose from:

m42 in Camera Lenses | eBay

I have had great success with Fotodiox. I also adapt Canon FD, Olympus OM, Konica AR, and Minolta MD lenses to my a7II, a7, a6000, and NEX-3.
06-07-2018, 01:17 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Shouldn't really matter which adapter you pick. Just a piece of metal and plastic really. The K&F look more solid and thought about to me. There are lots of m42 lenses besides Takumar for Pentax.
Plastic?? Mine {for Q-mount} feel like solid metal.
06-07-2018, 08:44 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Thanks for the replies
You have to make sure the adapter specifies that it works with A7ii because they changed the mount tolerances after the A7.

08-11-2019, 02:53 PM   #8

Glad I found this post! I own several SMC Takumar lenses and I am considering buying a Sony A6400 or A6500 and want to adapt them to the new camera. Searching the internet, I found a lot of semi-helpful information. Mounted on the ES, the SMC lens allowed full aperture metering with set aperture sensing, and then automatic stopping to the set aperture when the shutter was released, a leading-edge development at the time. As part of this feature, the SMC had extra "tabs" on the lens mount that can interfere with the adapter (see photo, tab circled in red). Many people don't recognize this and those that do, recommend "flangeless" adapters but I could not find anyone to recommend a specific one. So, I have bought 2 different ones, since they are not that expensive, to compare:

1. M42 to e mount, K&F Concept Lens Mount Adapter
amazon.com : M42 to e mount, K&F Concept Lens Mount Adapter M42 Lens to Sony NEX E-Mount Camera for Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX-6 NEX-5N NEX-5 NEX-C3 NEX-3 : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

2. Fotasy Copper Adjustable M42 Lens to Sony E-Mount Adapter
amazon.com : Fotasy Copper Adjustable M42 Lens to Sony E-Mount Adapter, Compatible with M42 42mm Screw Mount Lens & Sony E-Mount Camera NEX-5T NEX-6 NEX-7 a3000 a3500 a5000 a5100 a6000 a6300 a6400 a6400 a6500 etc : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

The K&F costs twice as much but appears much better made. The flange inside the screw mount does not interfere with the tab on the lens so it screws on fully. While mounted, the Auto/Man switch on the lens does not seem to have any function and moving the aperture control moves the aperture all the time so it works just like an old manual lens.

The Fotasy did not allow the lens to screw on completely before the tab hit the flange. I had to machine out some of the flange and then it fit OK. One benefit of not having the flange: now the aperture is wide open, regardless of the aperture setting, with the switch in Auto. Switching it to Manual stops the aperture down to the setting.

So, I could see operating a new camera thusly: set the aperture, with switch in Auto and aperture wide-open, focus and frame. Switch to Manual and take the picture.

Anyone had experience with these and able to comment? Especially regarding removing the flange to gain the ability to switch between wide-open and set-aperture using the Auto/Manual switch.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE  Photo 
08-11-2019, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Louis_in_TX Quote
I am considering buying a Sony A6400 or A6500
I'd suggest holding off till the $$$ony announcements for the new APSc bodies come at the end of the month.You could save $$$.Alternatively,the new models may suit you better.
08-11-2019, 07:01 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Louis_in_TX Quote
The Fotasy did not allow the lens to screw on completely before the tab hit the flange. I had to machine out some of the flange and then it fit OK. One benefit of not having the flange: now the aperture is wide open, regardless of the aperture setting, with the switch in Auto. Switching it to Manual stops the aperture down to the setting.
Did you notice the tiny interlock pin (not visible on your photo) on the mount face of your lens that must be depressed if you intend to use the M/F switch? When the pin is depressed, the M/F switch is operational; when not depressed, the M/F switch is not operational and should not be forced. Doing so will damage the aperture mechanism. As for carving out the internal shelf on the Fotasy adapter, that should not hurt anything beyond having to remember to move the M/F switch to the M position once the lens is full seated to the adapter or while the rear cap is still attached.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-11-2019 at 07:36 PM.
09-06-2021, 06:19 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any new developments in adaptors for the Super Takumar 50 1.4, 8 element version?

I am looking for an M42 to Sony E mount for my A7C. Would appreciate any advice. I am confused about the flange vs no flange aspect of the adapter as it specifically relates to the Super Takumar. One guy at a local shop state I could just cut the problematic pin off the lens. I have no desire to damage the lens though.

Any help would be appreciated.

Russ
09-06-2021, 08:31 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rk1972 Quote
Any new developments in adaptors for the Super Takumar 50 1.4, 8 element version?

I am looking for an M42 to Sony E mount for my A7C. Would appreciate any advice. I am confused about the flange vs no flange aspect of the adapter as it specifically relates to the Super Takumar. One guy at a local shop state I could just cut the problematic pin off the lens. I have no desire to damage the lens though.

Any help would be appreciated.

Russ
Hi,
I just left a note on your thread for this subject, but will comment here as well. The lens in comment #8 above has extra mount features that might potentially interfere with some adapters. Your new eight-element Super Takumar does not have those and should position cleanly into the adapter. There is a "shelf" built into the adapter to depress the aperture actuator pin. If there is an issue with the shelf, don't modify anything on your valuable lens. Take the matter up with the adapter maker or your dealer.

Steve