Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
09-02-2018, 08:05 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually, I think if I was to upgrade, it'd be to MF. I'm mainly a landscape photography enthusiast, and I could pixel peep the higher res and color depth of an mf sensor to death))

Maybe if Pentax released a MF Milc in next 5 years, that'd be my upgrade path.

I'd like to stay within Pentax ecosystem in future

09-02-2018, 12:26 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It'll be interesting to see how this Pany body goes,CaNik dropped the ball with single card slots already.I'm sure it will have 2.

Video more than likely will be top of the tree and the G9 proved Panasonic can do stills quite well.

The Big 2 have fallen short of $$$ony,its in Pany's court to match or surpass them???
09-02-2018, 11:34 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
CaNik dropped the ball with single card slots already.
If one listens to all the negative comments about the single CaNikon card slot, Pentax may have a hit if they sell a brick, as long as it has 2 or even more card slots....

I'm sure CaNikon don't want to cannibalize there DSLR lines, and offer this as perhaps a smaller backup for pro's, or even a decent starter for enthusiasts, who probably doesn't give one little bit of you-know-what about 2 card slots
09-02-2018, 11:46 PM - 1 Like   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
I'm sure CaNikon don't want to cannibalize there DSLR lines, and offer this as perhaps a smaller backup for pro's, or even a decent starter for enthusiasts, who probably doesn't give one little bit of you-know-what about 2 card slots

Christo
Yes, they are renowned for crippling their lower end stuff....the only way its a pro backup is by sending the Jpegs to their phone...Raws and video files wont go.EDIT, they will and in the case of Nikon it has a 200m range!

Yes, about the enthusiasts....however when the launch was on the BigWig Nikon guy(translated of course) said Zees were designed for Pros and Enthusiasts.

Every Pro reviewer that isnt a Nik Fanboy is calling Bull
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
you-know-what

Last edited by surfar; 09-07-2018 at 04:13 PM.
09-03-2018, 12:05 AM   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It'll be interesting to see what they do especially with the video side of things, like will they carry over the video specs from the GH5/S to it (if its true).
09-03-2018, 08:58 AM   #66

If true, this is indeed welcome news. I've had my eye set on full frame mirrorless for a while, but the range of options has been poor. Nikon's entry into the market seems half-hearted and the prices are way too high for what the cameras are, imo. Panasonic has been competently making mirrorless cameras for years- they might get it right.

---------- Post added 09-03-18 at 11:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Actually, I think if I was to upgrade, it'd be to MF...
I hear rumblings that Fujifilm is set to release a medium format rangefinder style body at a very low price point. Something like this might cause me to leapfrog over my ambitions for full frame mirrorless.
09-03-2018, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vZwicky Quote
I hear rumblings that Fujifilm is set to release a medium format rangefinder style body at a very low price point. Something like this might cause me to leapfrog over my ambitions for full frame mirrorless.
Yeah it's pretty much confirmed. Fuji is set to release 2 more MF bodies, a super high res 50R, and a rangefinder style entry model with lower spec. However, I think i'll wait another generation, and see what Pentax shows later on, they have a much broader lens line up, and I'd like to stay within the ecosystem)

09-03-2018, 11:01 AM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It'll be interesting to see how this Pany body goes,CaNik dropped the ball with single card slots already.I'm sure it will have 2.

Video more than likely will be top of the tree and the G9 proved Panasonic can do stills quite well.

The Big 2 have fallen short of $$$ony,its in Pany's court to match or surpass them???
Why all this focus on single card slot? Yes, professionals need a back up slot, but what percentage of 2000 plus dollar cameras are actually purchased by working pros? I think you would be surprised at what percentage are purchased by wealthy hobby photographers who can get by just fine with a single card slot. I think there are deficiencies with both the Canon and Nikon releases, but single card slot really isn't a big one (lack of lens line up is probably biggest).
09-03-2018, 01:29 PM   #69

Yeah it's pretty much confirmed. Fuji is set to release 2 more MF bodies, a super high res 50R, and a rangefinder style entry model with lower spec. However, I think i'll wait another generation, and see what Pentax shows later on, they have a much broader lens line up, and I'd like to stay within the ecosystem)
I'd be thrilled beyond words if Pentax is working behind the scenes toward a serious entry into the mirrorless market, but I don't expect anything anytime soon. Most of my interest in mirrorless if for manual focus lenses though. The brand of the body and a developed ecosystem of lenses isn't a huge concern- so long as I can use my existing primes. Even if I go medium format, I have an array of Pentax 6x7 lenses for the occasion. According to one of Ken Wheeler's videos, several of the full frame Nikkor lenses cover the Fuji GFX medium format sensor with little to no vignetting. Presumably the same might be true for some of the full frame Pentax lenses.
09-03-2018, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #70
Pentaxian

Panasonic can make a great FF mirrorless camera. In my opinion, this company is the best in terms of operation and controls. I remember using my G7, it was so advanced and easy to use though it was far from being a top priced camera.
09-03-2018, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #71

I own Fuji and Olympus bodies, and a couple of Panasonic lenses. I have confidence in the ability of any of these companies to produce a great FF mirrorless body.
09-03-2018, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #72
Pentaxian

Fuji shooters have known about this(50R)for around a year.Its a toned down 50S but could have some improved features that the original body gets in a Kaizen update,as Fuji puts it.
As far as lenses go Fuji has 6 modern lenses and growing and with the smart adapters available there is a lot of other glass that can be used.Sensor is only 70% bigger than FF,many FF lenses cover it.

---------- Post added 09-04-18 at 08:12 AM ----------

I own Fuji and Olympus bodies, and a couple of Panasonic lenses. I have confidence in the ability of any of these companies to produce a great FF mirrorless body.
Yes but Fuji has crop mode on the 2 MF bodies and wont release FF body.

Panasonic is announcing this month...Olympus early in 2019 has a "BIG" announcement...It aint the EM5 mk3...its some thing to fit the 7 FF lenses they have patents on in 2017.

---------- Post added 09-04-18 at 08:14 AM ----------

Even if I go medium format, I have an array of Pentax 6x7 lenses for the occasion.
Its an inexpensive way to start.
09-03-2018, 02:50 PM   #73
Veteran Member

At this point I see it as highly doubtful that Ricoh will be able/willing to start a whole new mount and lens lineup from scratch, at least on their own. They're barely sustaining the K-mount as it is. IMO Ricoh's best chance at capturing some of the mirrorless market would be to join up with another manufacturer. They've shown willingless to work with other manufacturers on lenses at least like Tamron and Tokina.

Of course Panasonic has a long history of working with Olympus and Leica. If Olympus also joins up, a three company cooperative would greatly speed up lens rollout considering at least Panasonic and Oly would be starting a FF mirrorless lens lineup from scratch, while Canon and Nikon have a huge lineup of FF SLR mount lenses to fall back on. A relatively open, joint mirrorless endeavor like that has the best chance of competing with Canikon and Sony, and attracting third party lens support.
09-03-2018, 04:00 PM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
Of course Panasonic has a long history of working with Olympus and Leica.
Definitely Leica but OLY is their rival in the M43 genre.The mount is open...Xaomi/YI released their camera in it.Blackmagic is using it.

Its unknown which mount Pana will use,its new afaik.Not Leica as hinted a little while ago.The sensor is new and not $$$ony apparently.

Early 2019 Olympus have a BIG announcement coming.
09-03-2018, 06:11 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Fuji shooters have known about this(50R)for around a year.Its a toned down 50S but could have some improved features that the original body gets in a Kaizen update,as Fuji puts it.
As far as lenses go Fuji has 6 modern lenses and growing and with the smart adapters available there is a lot of other glass that can be used.Sensor is only 70% bigger than FF,many FF lenses cover it.

---------- Post added 09-04-18 at 08:12 AM ----------

Yes but Fuji has crop mode on the 2 MF bodies and wont release FF body.

Panasonic is announcing this month...Olympus early in 2019 has a "BIG" announcement...It aint the EM5 mk3...its some thing to fit the 7 FF lenses they have patents on in 2017.

---------- Post added 09-04-18 at 08:14 AM ----------

Its an inexpensive way to start.
I thought mf (ones in 645z and 50s) is around 30% larger than ff.

Both mf systems are interesting to me, just out of range a bit for now