Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 289 Likes Search this Thread
03-22-2019, 03:47 PM - 3 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@BigMackCam, your OP really has me thinking...

If, for some reason, you're disappointed with the Professional DSLR Camera camera, I imagine that you'd jump brands. How about this idea: Approach @MarkJerling and see if he'll swap his K-1.

Just looking after your interests here.

03-22-2019, 03:49 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I don't own a helmet.
We do offer wet-wipes as an alternative?
03-22-2019, 04:02 PM - 4 Likes   #18
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Well it's not a DSLR, given the lack of a reflex mirror, OVF, and interchangable lens. They really should claim it's "mirrorless" -- sales would double!
Let's not jump to conclusions as so often happens here when new and exciting products are released. Whilst there's no OVF, we have no idea how the image is transferred to the screen before capture. Perhaps there's a reflex mirror system targeting an additional sensor for live view? I honestly don't know... but I'd like to think any manufacturer of professional equipment knows more about their own cameras than we do.

And a 7.6 mm lens! That's either fisheye lens or it's a sensor with a crop factor of maybe 4 to 7X. (Amusingly, the lens markings on the pictures of the camera claim it's a 9.88mm f/5 lens)
I really don't want to start another discussion on equivalence, here. Professionals will understand the difference between the specifications and labelling on the lens - though I'll admit, for beginners and less-experienced enthusiasts, it could be a little confusing - but this camera isn't really aimed at them. What we should be focusing on is the red trim ring on the lens. Does anyone else see the similarity here with Pentax HD DA lenses? Coincidence? I think not...

On the plus side, it's not a plus-size camera. At a petite 2" x 2" x 4" and only 220 grams, you could hang 10 of these around your neck with the supplied "rope" for less than the weight of a K-1 and 24-70 lens.
Though I'm uncertain as to the political correctness of such terms just now, I believe I'm right in saying this camera is aimed at any professional - not just the "plus-size" ones. Let's not forget, there are many possible reasons for a person's physical size, and everyone is beautiful in his or her own way...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-22-2019 at 04:20 PM.
03-22-2019, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Originally posted by c.a.m QuoteAnd a 7.6 mm lens! That's either fisheye lens or it's a sensor with a crop factor of maybe 4 to 7X. (Amusingly, the lens markings on the pictures of the camera claim it's a 9.88mm f/5 lens)
Humph. It's odd that I have been attributed to a comment made by that other guy, @photoptimist. Certainly, equivalence would never have come to my mind. But he does raise a good point, which merits further consideration and discussion. Perhaps another thread could be started to cover this important aspect.

03-22-2019, 04:19 PM - 3 Likes   #20
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
@BigMackCam, your OP really has me thinking...

If, for some reason, you're disappointed with the Professional DSLR Camera camera, I imagine that you'd jump brands. How about this idea: Approach @MarkJerling and see if he'll swap his K-1.

Just looking after your interests here.
According to the specs, I can't see how I'd be disappointed.

Although I've never met him in person, I consider Mark to be a friend - someone I respect and like a great deal. On that basis, if he wants to get in on this new camera (and I can see why he would), I'd take his K-1II and pay more than it actually cost him, just to give him the opportunity. That's what friends are for...
03-22-2019, 04:21 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Humph. It's odd that I have been attributed to a comment made by that other guy, @photoptimist. Certainly, equivalence would never have come to my mind. But he does raise a good point, which merits further consideration and discussion. Perhaps another thread could be started to cover this important aspect.
My apologies. Cut and paste errors on my part. I think you've been more open-minded and enthusiastic than @photoptimist (he's terribly Pentax-biased, you know). Corrections duly made...
03-22-2019, 04:28 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My apologies.
Apologies accepted, thanks. No worries, I'll chalk it up to a slight slip of the mouse. It's understandable in your excited state, with the new gear on it's way and all.

(he's terribly Pentax-biased, you know)
Yes, I've noticed. There seems to be a few folks here who like Pentax. I think you'll have a hard time convincing them that your new gear is up to the job.

03-22-2019, 04:29 PM - 4 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Let's not jump to conclusions as so often happens here when new and exciting products are released. Whilst there's no OVF, we have no idea how the image is transferred to the screen before capture. Perhaps there's a reflex mirror system targeting an additional sensor? I honestly don't know... but I'd like to think any manufacturer of professional equipment knows more about their own cameras than I do.
Methinks the image is transferred internally via RS-232 (the French version uses SCART).

And if they do use mirrors, then it's smoke and mirrors.

I really don't want to start another discussion on equivalence, here. Professionals will understand the difference between the specifications and labelling on the lens - though I'll admit, for beginners and less-experienced enthusiasts, it could be a little confusing - but this camera isn't really aimed at them. What we should be focusing on is the red trim ring on the lens. Does anyone else see the similarity here with Pentax HD DA lenses? Coincidence? I think not...
Equivalence!?!?!?!?! This camera is without equal! And given the 1.3X crop factor between the 7.6 and 9.88, it should satisfy RonHendriks' desire for APS-H.

Though I'm uncertain as to the political correctness of such terms just now, I believe I'm right in saying this camera is aimed at any professional - not just the "plus-size" ones. Let's not forget, there are many reasons for a person's physical size...
Sorry, I have not upgraded my PC decoder ring in a while, either. Are they now called People of Girth, Expansive-Americans, or Gravitationally-Abled?
03-22-2019, 04:31 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
There seems to be a few folks here who like Pentax. I think you'll have a hard time convincing them that your new gear is up to the job.
I'll draw your attention, once more, to that blank space on the front of the prism / flash housing. Could these be prototype or pre-market cameras? Could we imagine the "PENTAX" name in that space? I don't want to speculate too much at this stage... Just sayin'...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-22-2019 at 05:08 PM.
03-22-2019, 04:34 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
This camera is without equal!
I'm sure the manufacturer would be delighted to add your endorsement to its marketing content... But let's remain realistic until we know just how amazing it truly is.
03-22-2019, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

And if they do use mirrors, then it's smoke and mirrors.
More smoke! We're gonna need more smoke!

Steve
03-22-2019, 04:47 PM - 2 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

I'm sure the manufacturer would be delighted to add your endorsement to its marketing content... But let's remain realistic until we know just how amazing it truly is.
Good point! We know that "≠" applies but whether we need to use ">" or "<" is not known.

That will depend on a careful comparison of this camera' performance against the reigning champion 16Mpix camera, the Samsung GX-10 sporting the finest in CCCP optics!
03-22-2019, 04:50 PM - 3 Likes   #28
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
That will depend on a careful comparison of this camera' performance against the reigning champion 16Mpix camera, the Samsung GX-10 sporting the finest in CCCP optics!
Do you mock me, sir??

03-22-2019, 05:05 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Pentaxian

Do you mock me, sir??

Sir! No, sir! Sir!

I'll draw your attention, once more, that blank space on the front of the prism / flash housing. Could these be prototype or pre-market cameras? Could we imagine the "PENTAX" name in that space? I don't want to speculate too much at this stage... Just sayin'...
They are just waiting for the right brand name. For another £20, they'd emblazon it with "BigMackCam"!
03-22-2019, 05:19 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't suppress my grinning at this thread. Oops - apologies! We're discussing "professional" gear, after all. Clearly, I'm out of my league. /resumes lurking and grinning silently...