Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 289 Likes Search this Thread
03-22-2019, 05:19 PM - 2 Likes   #31
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
They are just waiting for the right brand name. For another £20, they'd emblazon it with "BigMackCam"!
"Yashica", more likely.

Buy 'em while they're hot, folks. These bad boys will be $300+ when the Kickstarter campaign starts...

03-22-2019, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Subscribed lol. Be careful though, what if the low price is because the manufacturer wants it in your house to record you and/ or steal personal data or something?
03-22-2019, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #33
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Subscribed lol. Be careful though, what if the low price is because the manufacturer wants it in your house to record you and/ or steal personal data or something?
Honestly, for $26 I could only respect them
03-22-2019, 07:39 PM - 3 Likes   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@BigMackCam, you do seem to be very enthusiastic about this camera. And I can't blame you -- it's a technological wonder.

Have you considered becoming an Ambassador for the brand? I think you'd be a prime champion. Unless one of our other members/former members has snuck in and taken the slot already.

Last edited by c.a.m; 03-22-2019 at 08:06 PM.
03-22-2019, 08:12 PM - 3 Likes   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm interested in the
'take time off' mode.
I could use that mode a lot.
03-22-2019, 08:21 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Were are all the peoples who found every singles product that Pentax lauch BAD. I suppose they already own that product the OP presented and feel bad we found the product they compare again Pentax.!!! Well lets republish the photo with a Ricoch or Pentax logo , it will be way more funny
03-22-2019, 08:23 PM - 3 Likes   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
On the plus side, it's not a plus-size camera. At a petite 2" x 2" x 4" and only 220 grams, you could hang 10 of these around your neck with the supplied "rope" for less than the weight of a K-1 and 24-70 lens.
It's a giant...far to large...

Worlds Smallest Digital/Video Camera | Property Room

03-22-2019, 09:12 PM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
According to the specs, I can't see how I'd be disappointed.

Although I've never met him in person, I consider Mark to be a friend - someone I respect and like a great deal. On that basis, if he wants to get in on this new camera (and I can see why he would), I'd take his K-1II and pay more than it actually cost him, just to give him the opportunity. That's what friends are for...
Selfless sacrifice Mike! I'm looking forward to your professional review of this fine piece of machinery.

In the mean time, don't hold your breath - I won't be boxing up the K-1II anytime soon!
03-22-2019, 09:27 PM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Selfless sacrifice Mike! I'm looking forward to your professional review of this fine piece of machinery.
I'm sure he will have something, by errrr...maybe a week from Monday?

Steve
03-22-2019, 10:52 PM - 2 Likes   #40
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The lens cap has the word "Camera" emblazoned upon it; again, no brand naming. Importantly, this serves as a reminder to elderly and infirm users that the item they're holding is a camera. It's rare to see a camera manufacturer cater for impaired users, so I see this as a sensitive and ground-breaking move for other brands to follow
I'm sorry to have to report that (in a reversal of the conventional pattern) this innovative and distinctive design has already been ripped off by a Japanese company. You can see how they have blatantly copied the design on their lens caps. The Japanese company seems to have chosen a name to boast about the hefty size of their products, but the misspelling shows it's fake.
Attached Images

03-23-2019, 12:04 AM - 2 Likes   #41
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I notice the package includes " 1*rope " Is that because it can also be used as a boat anchor? Or for personal use because dying of embarrassment is too protracted?

On a more serious and practical note (for the technical minded) would 16X digital zoom mean effectively a 1MP image at full zoom? (Irrespective of any decline in optical quality, does the number of effective megapixels halve at each step for 2, 4, 8 and 16? Or does it not work that way?)
03-23-2019, 01:56 AM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

which I share verbatim to whet your appetites...

ARRGH my eyes!..for the love of god change the text to another colour that doesn't burn retinas.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I'm sure he will have something, by errrr...maybe a week from Monday?

I too will be curious to see what he gets. I'm holding bets something will fail spectacularly in the first week of ownership, providing it actually works upon arrival at all.

The specifications don't mention the Battery being in the Box.
03-23-2019, 02:54 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
I notice the package includes " 1*rope " Is that because it can also be used as a boat anchor? Or for personal use because dying of embarrassment is too protracted?

On a more serious and practical note (for the technical minded) would 16X digital zoom mean effectively a 1MP image at full zoom? (Irrespective of any decline in optical quality, does the number of effective megapixels halve at each step for 2, 4, 8 and 16? Or does it not work that way?)
The "rope" is for hanging yourself when you've shown up at your first birding meet!
03-23-2019, 02:55 AM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe it uses the tech from the latest self-charging hybrid cars, so that every time the mirror flips, the battery is charged a little. So, take enough pictures in a day, and the battery will be fully charged by the end of it - should suit professionals.

Oh, wait, there’s no mirror...
03-23-2019, 03:01 AM - 2 Likes   #45
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Have you considered becoming an Ambassador for the brand? I think you'd be a prime champion.
I'll have to learn how to use the camera effectively first. Thus far, I've been shooting "enthusiast-level" cameras, so this is quite a big step for me. I'm not expecting to get the best results initially... I reckon I'll need to put in some work before I'm capturing images worthy of "brand ambassador" status.

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It's a giant...far to large...
That's a cool little camera, but missing many professional features - such as an LCD screen, multiple control buttons, and a lens cap. Still, it could make a nice backup unit.

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote

In the mean time, don't hold your breath - I won't be boxing up the K-1II anytime soon!
I understand your caution, Mark. Hopefully, my forthcoming review will address all your concerns and give you the confidence to buy the new camera. At this price, you could afford to keep the K-1II for day-to-day shooting, and bring out the pro camera for more serious assignments. In any case, with respect, I imagine the resale value of the K-1II will drop like a stone once the results of my review go public.

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I'm sorry to have to report that (in a reversal of the conventional pattern) this innovative and distinctive design has already been ripped off by a Japanese company. You can see how they have blatantly copied the design on their lens caps. The Japanese company seems to have chosen a name to boast about the hefty size of their products, but the misspelling shows it's fake.
Disappointing, indeed. In fact, further research shows that company's lenses also sport the red trim ring. They couldn't be more blatant about it. Sadly, many beginners will be fooled into buying these products...

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
would 16X digital zoom mean effectively a 1MP image at full zoom? (Irrespective of any decline in optical quality, does the number of effective megapixels halve at each step for 2, 4, 8 and 16? Or does it not work that way?)
I'm not sure exactly how it works... What really matters, though, is that we still get 16MP photos regardless of the zoom level. And with that many pixels, we can be assured of high image quality....