Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2019, 07:00 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I hear many good thing about the camera but after look at the E-M1 II price... I can't find a good reason to pay that much for a smaller size sensor than my K3... If I want to pay that much, I would go with a larger FF sensor size. That's just me.

10-03-2019, 07:08 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The problem is that I don't think Olympus is growing. Their lens line up is nice but hard to sell new lenses to a clientele that is satisfied with what they have. Their cameras are very nice, but once again other than bumping frame rate up a huge amount or adding a bunch of focus points (none of which seem to be big sellers), not sure where they take micro four thirds.

The biggest chance I would see for them would be if they joined the L mount group. That would give them opportunity to bring their expertise to a larger sensor size and they could begin to launch new lenses and cameras for a different mount. If they stick with micro four thirds only, I think things will be poor going forward.
10-03-2019, 07:18 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
You need to stay away from that other Photographic forum, the one that rhymes with See Three Aaah......
I'm not understanding which rhyme that is...
10-03-2019, 09:17 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I'm not understanding which rhyme that is...
I'm not sure what that's referring to either

10-03-2019, 09:21 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Donkey Pee Review.
10-03-2019, 09:37 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
I hear many good thing about the camera but after look at the E-M1 II price... I can't find a good reason to pay that much for a smaller size sensor than my K3... If I want to pay that much, I would go with a larger FF sensor size. That's just me.
Attached Images

10-03-2019, 10:18 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
So, for almost twice the cost of a K-3 you get a very similarly-performing sensor*.

Right now, you could get a new K-1 and have 300€ to spend on lenses... or you can get the OM-D M1 ii (German prices, new). I'm sorry but it's ridiculous.

*I know that the Oly is great because of the ridiculous burst rate, but if we're talking subjects that don't need SIXTY fps...

10-03-2019, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

I was just using my OLY E5MII last weekend for video in one event where I was shooting video with it and pictures with K-1. Was looking at results and I have to admit that I was thinking of uprgading to O E1MII. Just for video. I did shoot video also with K-1 when I needed shallow Dof, and it was okay.

Now I'm not going to. If I will shoot more video, that could change. I know that GH4/5 would be even better for that, but some how Olympus is quite nice too. WR and cold resistance plays big role in my shooting too( I live in Finland after all).

I don't think that Oly is going down.
10-03-2019, 10:52 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
So, for almost twice the cost of a K-3 you get a very similarly-performing sensor*.

Right now, you could get a new K-1 and have 300€ to spend on lenses... or you can get the OM-D M1 ii (German prices, new). I'm sorry but it's ridiculous.
My graphic is showing the Oly OM-D E-M1 Mkii, which here in the USA is somewhat cheaper than a Pentax K-1/K-1 II.

The Oly has some great features - amazing (better than Pentax) IBIS, in-camera focus stacking (super neat), pixel shift that creates higher-res files than Pentax. Each camera has its own set of benefits compared with the other.

But if you read the post to which I was responding, I was simply demonstrating that just because the sensor in the Oly is smaller than the Pentax, it is not necessarily inferior.
10-03-2019, 10:56 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
amazing (better than Pentax) IBIS
might be true, but it gets easier the smaller the sensor is...
10-03-2019, 10:57 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah of course, and as I say the camera is great, but in Germany it goes for 1600€ (body only!), while a K-1 new is 1200€ and a K-1ii is 1800 or so. That's mind-boggling to me.

How's the IBIS? The new 5-axis one in the K-1 is superb, I could reliably go to 1/25-1/40 on a 135mm lens.
10-03-2019, 11:01 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
How's the IBIS? The new 5-axis one in the K-1 is superb, I could reliably go to 1/25-1/40 on a 135mm lens.
Depending on the lens, one could hand-hold the camera for almost 5 seconds & still get a very good shot. I think Olympus is the king of IBIS followed by Panasonic. The E-M1X IBIS is supposedly even better.
10-03-2019, 11:26 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Donkey Pee Review.
I figured as much, but could not understand the inference.
10-03-2019, 11:27 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If E-M1 II was cheaper I might have had one by now

---------- Post added 10-03-19 at 10:28 AM ----------

The K-1's 5 axis is real good but yeah Olympus' is crazy
10-03-2019, 11:35 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Depending on the lens, one could hand-hold the camera for almost 5 seconds & still get a very good shot. I think Olympus is the king of IBIS followed by Panasonic. The E-M1X IBIS is supposedly even better.
Okay wow, that's incredible. I know the M43 sensor is easier to stabilize but Jesus...