Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2020, 06:23 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lumix cameras for video

I'm looking for a cheap Lumix body for video. This will be a back-up camera so I'm trying to hold the cost down. I've found a DMC-G5 and a GH-3 for about the right price, but I'm not sure which is better for video. Does anyone have any experience shooting with Lumix cameras?

01-06-2020, 06:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I shoot video with G85 and G7
What is your budget? I've seen G7's wich are superb for $350-400 on ebay
01-06-2020, 07:59 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I'm trying to keep this ultra-cheap...just a couple hundred bucks, if possible. That's why I was looking at older models. Up until now, I've been shooting with my Pentax K-01 and it's done fine. But at work recently, we switched from traditional news-style video cameras to Lumix GH-5s mirrorless cameras. BIG difference! The K-01 still does okay in close-up shots, but otherwise it's just not as sharp as the GH-5s. I know Lumix puts more effort into the video side of things, but I'm not sure if that's what I'm seeing or not. Part of it may also be the lenses because we're shooting $1000 lenses on the GH-5s and I'm using $300-400 lenses on my K-01. This coming weekend, I'm going to take my GH-5s home, use it with the same lenses I'm using on my K-01, and do a side-by-side comparison. It's just that a good price popped up on a GH-3 today so I thought I'd ask around and see what other folks' experience has been.
01-06-2020, 01:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I’d be interested too. I got a GH-3 cheap recently in my search for a MFT body to use my Auto 110 lenses. Not too interested in the video side but if it’s good I can see finding use for it. No image stabilization I think.

01-06-2020, 04:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
GH3 will be a better choice... it is a very capable camera for video. If you find a good deal for the price you should go for it. Check some examples online... and keep in mind that it was released in 2012

QuoteQuote:
No image stabilization I think.
@Lhorn you are right... no image stabilization