Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
01-17-2020, 11:43 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Terribly worrying, isn’t it? I can’t sleep at night.
I've chewed my nails to the quick.

Steve

(...surely there are some starving birds somewhere requiring greater emotional and intellectual attention...)

01-17-2020, 11:45 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I dunno, the GFX is a big camera that can certainly make big pictures... does that count?
Nah! It only counts if one strongly advocates that Medium Format is the clearly superior option for digital photography.

Steve
01-17-2020, 04:41 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Am I getting this right?

Sigma, Tmaron and Tokina.
FE mount arrived in 2013,these 3 companies launched their FE lenses a paltry 5 years later,in 2018.

Apparently it could take a while for these 3 to enter Z and RF world.Espescially when you consider that the OEM adapters work prettywell flawlessly,so many reviewers and users have reported.

---------- Post added 01-18-20 at 10:49 AM ----------

There is zero support of thrid party for Nikon and Canon. How can this be ?
With the Dslr lens ranges,any 3rd party will have to compete directly.Some Z and RF users only use the old mount lenses.There is probably some development experimentation happening right now.
01-17-2020, 04:57 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Apparently it could take a while for these 3 to enter Z and RF world.Espescially when you consider that the OEM adapters work prettywell flawlessly,so many reviewers and users have reported.
Nothing will happen until the market is large enough to support competition in that space.

Steve

01-17-2020, 05:06 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Nothing will happen until the market is large enough to support competition in that space.
The manual lens producers don't think that,seems theres plenty of competition there.

AF is more difficult, its a matter of time.Samyang is in the game(just) and will probably introduce more this year.Viltrox may have something happening too,if their FujiX/Sony FE efforts are anything to go by.
01-18-2020, 04:09 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sure that Sigma and Tamron don't see any particular purpose to making Z mount and RF mount lenses at the moment. You can easily use their F mount and EOS mount lenses on those cameras using an adapter and if they would port those lenses over, all they would really do is screw a permanent adapter to the base of the lens -- they aren't going to design a whole new lens. If the new mounts grow enough, they might do that.

Furthermore, Sigma is focused on their own project right now -- creating and releasing L mount cameras and lenses. They are a small enough company that that probably is taking most of their attention.
01-18-2020, 05:00 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
You can easily use their F mount and EOS mount lenses on those cameras using an adapter and if they would port those lenses over
Oh I see, you must be right. Customer buying logic is different if they already own a Z or R mirrorless camera they are more likely to use DSLR lenses. On the other hand, there isn't as much legacy DSLR glass on Sony side, so mostly customers have an FE camera may be looking a lens alternatives cheaper than Sony. The high quality Sony glass is expensive, and the cheap Sony glass isn't that great, e.g Tamron glass is pretty good for the price.

01-18-2020, 09:14 AM   #23
Veteran Member

There is zero support of thrid party for Nikon and Canon. How can this be ?
Most of the people buying the Canon RF and Nikon Z mount are existing Canon and Nikon users who already have a collection of Canon and Nikon glass so demand for 3rd party glass is low. This is also why the Canon and Nikon lens roadmap has been odd. Until Canon and Nikon sell more mirrorless bodies we aren't going to see a lot of 3rd party support. It's all about money. When there are enough people using Canon and Nikon mirrorless bodies we will see 3rd party glass. Fuji seems to have hit a sweet spot with glass and cost. Fuji has filled out the line-up and offers lenses at a price Fuji users like. Zeiss tried to make Fuji X-mount glass but it never sold well. There doesn't seem to be a big market for 3rd party glass for Fuji X-mount.
01-18-2020, 09:40 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
This is also why the Canon and Nikon lens roadmap has been odd.
I partly agree; Canon's roadmap was "look at all the shiny never-seen-before lenses you can have in the RF system" with the crazy large 28-70 f/2.0 zoom and the f/1.2 primes; sure they now finished the holy trinity of f/2.8 zooms but they mostly went for high impact releases: since their adapter works perfectly there was not an urgent need to remake all the EF lenses in one go. However, Nikon's was more of a "look at how slightly slower lenses can be better than what you already had!", threw in the Noct for whatever reason and then went for the holy trinity .
01-18-2020, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Funny how Canon and Nikon get knocked for adapters which let many (Nikon) or all (Canon EF) of their legacy glass work really well on the new mount. I seem to remember another maker originally supplied a Metabones adapter for owners to use DSLR lenses with their new mount. Who was that now? Oh yes, Sony.

However, I no longer understand the point of this thread, so have fun y’all and good night.
01-19-2020, 12:39 PM   #26

I noticed, there are more than 3 third party prime lens brands making primes lenses such as 20mm, 35mm, 50mm and 85mm for Sony FE mount, and nothing for the Z mount and nothing RF mount. For the FE mount, there is Sigma, Tmaron and Tokina. Other third party primes are for DSLR mounts. Even the GFX system that's not supposed to be popular gets more primes lenses than FF K mount. OTOH, I don't like the design of Sony cameras otherwise I'd get a Sony in a heartbeat.
I noticed that there are no adapters for using Pentax lenses with autofocus on other cameras, so if one is in love with FA lims, the only way to use them is to go with Pentax

Personally I would like to have an option of buing Zeiss Milvus in K mount version and some Sigmas (105 and 135), perhaps modern Samyangs, too. It's good to have a choice and I'm glad for Sony E owners, but in my opinion Pentax for now misses only modern wide angle primes (where sharpness counts) and 105 with 135 (85 is coming).

The other question is whether one really needs all these different lenses from different manufacturers... I've discovered that for joy and pleasure of taking pictures I need only 28 and 50mm Zeiss with me (or, if autofocus needed, 43 and 77 lims). And that's all.
01-19-2020, 01:35 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I'm not too worried about availability of third party lenses...prime or otherwise... for Pentax. Pentax has a nice set of primes and I have the 21, 40, 70, 50 F 1.4, 50 F 2.8 Macro which covers a fairly good range. Then there are the three musketeers...or is that three amigos...I've never quite sure.... But the 21, 43 and 77 are all highly regarded from what I understand.

So my questions is with this Pentax made array of primes...is there an issue ? Maybe some would like a 135mm F 2...or an 85mm F 1.4. I haven't kept very good track of some of the Laowa , Samyang, etc, lenses which I believe have some interesting primes with the K mount. Think they may be manual focus only, but that is probably not that big of a deal for most.

And then there is that Pentax 85mm F 1.4 that is on the lens roadmap....

So although there is not everything in terms of prime focal lengths, etc., there still is a pretty good selection .
01-19-2020, 02:52 PM   #28
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
Slightly tangential comment, but I've found Sony's products to be generally lower quality than competitors' and their customer support is horrible to non-existent. They're on my "never buy from them again" list.
In terms of quality, that's not been my own experience. The A7 MkII that I own is nicely built and finished... perhaps not quite to the same level as my K-3, but not far off. The Hasselblad HV that I own is wonderful, but the casing and controls on that are higher quality than the Sony A99 equivalent... Still, I've used the A99 and was impressed by the quality. And the RX100 I used to own was very nicely built for a compact; definitely deserving of its premium status at the time. I've also used lower down the range SLT cameras, and in fairness, those did feel a little cheap. Regarding customer support, everything I've read suggests it's poor. Firmware support is pretty decent, though...
01-19-2020, 03:12 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
Sony's products to be generally lower quality than competitors' and their customer support is horrible to non-existent. They're on my "never buy from them again" list.
On mine too,along with LG.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
In terms of quality, that's not been my own experience
Buy a lottery ticket!

My experience has been with household items,never had an ILC from Sony.
01-19-2020, 03:29 PM   #30
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Buy a lottery ticket!
Thankfully, I haven't needed to...

My experience has been with household items,never had an ILC from Sony.
I'm no Sony "fan boy", but I've owned a good few of their products over the years - a high-end cassette Walkman I owned in my early 20s, a couple of TVs, several table-top radios, VHS and DVD / Blu-ray players, Vaio mini-notebook (some years ago, admittedly), two early ebook readers, other sundry items (MP3 player, headphones etc.), plus of course the cameras I already mentioned (and one compact camera I didn't mention - the DSC-HX50). Honestly, they've all been great - including the cameras. Not necessarily the best value for money compared to their competition, but I've not had any significant problems I can remember. Like any other manufacturer, I'm sure they have a failure rate - and I'm sure the owners of those failed products have been disappointed and frustrated, which is perfectly understandable. That's the same with all manufacturers, though.

Like you, though, I can only speak as I find... and I've had a pretty decent experience with Sony products overall. I haven't had any experience of their after-sales customer service, though, but (luckily) I've never needed it. If their products were so unreliable as to require a lottery ticket for a working example, they wouldn't continue to sell so well...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-19-2020 at 04:01 PM.