Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
01-19-2020, 03:57 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The old Sony Vaio (2008 model I believe) laptop of one of my best friends still keeps working mighty fine. He handed it down to his brother because he wanted something more powerful, but we were joking for YEARS that the thing had to have an angry gnome powering it, it kept trucking at maximum power well beyond the expected lifetime. I haven't personally had a lot of experience with Sony apart from some earphones here and there (normally good) though.

01-19-2020, 05:21 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm no Sony "fan boy", but I've owned a good few of their products over the years - a high-end cassette Walkman I owned in my early 20s, a couple of TVs, several table-top radios, VHS and DVD / Blu-ray players, Vaio mini-notebook (some years ago, admittedly), two early ebook readers, other sundry items (MP3 player, headphones etc.), plus of course the cameras I already mentioned (and one compact camera I didn't mention - the DSC-HX50).
A quick look in my stereo cabinet tallied: Sony, Sony, Sony, Panasonic, Sennheiser, Pioneer, and Kenwood. I would have purchased a VIAO but found better value for a business laptop in Lenovo; similarly for portable music where a Walkman was just a few too many $$. I have had three Trinitron computer monitors and I have built several computers with Sony CD/DVD drives. The only problem I have had was an audio CD player that died of old age after about 20 years use feeding signal to my sound system.

I've not owned any of their cameras, but might consider a NEX if free or nearly so for shooting adapted lenses. I might consider an A7II if offered new at under $900 with three-year MAC warranty, assuming I can tolerate the EVF.

Steve
01-19-2020, 05:45 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My first digital camera was a Sony that took 3.5 inch floppies for storage and output 1.2 megapixels. That was in 2001. It was a fine camera and I still enjoy looking at the pictures I made with it. Then in 2005 Sony distributed 20 million cds that installed rootkits on people's computers without their knowledge. That unnerved me to the point that I have never bought another Sony product and never will. I can't remember sh*t from 5 minutes ago but I remember 15 years ago like it was yesterday.