Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2020, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #31
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Thanks - the rokkor is 58mm. All my lenses are over 28mm.

As of late I've been really looking at the X-T10 - may want to wait until the X-T4 comes out to try and get a used X-T10... I did want Full Frame; but I'm not sold on the a7's and their price tags.
A 58mm can be interesting to use on APS-C and MFT. On APS-C it gets you close to an 85mm equivalent and on MFT close to a 120mm, both of which are interesting to use.

But lenses with smaller focal lengths than 50mm may be less exciting to use on the smaller formats. I didn't have much fun with 28-35mm lenses on Pentax APS-C. Sure, the 31mm was fantastic, but that was an exception to the rule.

Hope this helps.

02-13-2020, 02:24 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Yeah.. I'm a closet Canon user who lives in a cave and don't know about tech.
With Pentax lenses of course....
I have a digital EOS body, but it is mostly to adapt my Zuiko OM collection. It is an older body, and I have to say that the sensor provides some nice shots (Camera pictured below, shot with pentax to stay within forums):

02-13-2020, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have use m4/3 before and tried adapting my lenses on them.
The thing is that the 2x crop severely limits the versatility of the lenses.

Here are some examples of what happens :

UWA (eg. 12mm) - ok, provided one even has a legacy 12mm. Most likely at most its a legacy 15mm and thats not very wide with a 2x crop and not worth the hassle to bring/use over a modern option catered for m4/3.

28mm - becomes a 50mm in terms of usage/working distance. For one, 28mm are not the greatest in larger aperture and resolution. But the usage thats forced on it is that of a 50mm (ie. fast, sharp stopped down 1 stop)
So practically, the 28mm is not the best to become a 50mm equivalent.
All in, might as well just use a Panasonic 20/1.8 (or other m4/3 lens)

50mm - becomes a tight portrait lens. Ok.... but the higher pixel density of m4/3 isn't very flattering for old fast lenses. Usable, but might as well use a decent priced Oly45/1.8.

Short tele - becomes rather long to have a nearer working distance.