Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
01-23-2020, 10:15 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Cost was a big issue for me too and I went the Fuji route (X-M1) initially to get something smaller to use K, SR and M42 lenses on when I don't want to carry a DSLR. Since then it has developed into a very nice parallel system for me with certain advantages over my Pentax gear.

A7II would be nice to get the originally-intended field of view for all those old lenses but my understanding is that Sony cameras have problems with build quality, colour reproduction and menus.

I think you could find something used much nicer than an X-E1 these days. For not much more I think you could get an X-E2 or X-T10. I started looking at these a year ago and ended up shelling out much more on an X-T20, which I bought the day before the X-T30 was announced (doh!) but it's a great camera, though the older 16MP sensors provide much better IQ in low light (much like the K-5 compared to the K-3).

Good quality adapters to Fujifilm's mount can be had for €20. I have SR, K, M42 and AR (though I no longer have any Konica lenses to use).

01-23-2020, 10:54 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Cost was a big issue for me too and I went the Fuji route (X-M1) initially to get something smaller to use K, SR and M42 lenses on when I don't want to carry a DSLR. Since then it has developed into a very nice parallel system for me with certain advantages over my Pentax gear.

A7II would be nice to get the originally-intended field of view for all those old lenses but my understanding is that Sony cameras have problems with build quality, colour reproduction and menus.

I think you could find something used much nicer than an X-E1 these days. For not much more I think you could get an X-E2 or X-T10. I started looking at these a year ago and ended up shelling out much more on an X-T20, which I bought the day before the X-T30 was announced (doh!) but it's a great camera, though the older 16MP sensors provide much better IQ in low light (much like the K-5 compared to the K-3).

Good quality adapters to Fujifilm's mount can be had for €20. I have SR, K, M42 and AR (though I no longer have any Konica lenses to use).
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
OK, if you want cheap, go for the Fuji X-E1 and a K&F concept k mount/x mount adapter with aperture ring.

Oh boy, the list is getting longer now.. thanks for these suggestions. While no ibis, now I'm pondering on those Fujis and the A7...

@Cerebum - does this mount adapter work with lenses sans aperture ring? I have an EOS Sigma w/o aperture ring I'd be killing to use!

---------- Post added 01-23-20 at 01:00 PM ----------

How do you handle the RAF files? My version of LR might not open these...
01-23-2020, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Oh boy, the list is getting longer now.. thanks for these suggestions. While no ibis, now I'm pondering on those Fujis and the A7...

@Cerebum - does this mount adapter work with lenses sans aperture ring? I have an EOS Sigma w/o aperture ring I'd be killing to use!

---------- Post added 01-23-20 at 01:00 PM ----------

No, its a strictly Pentax thing I think. Pentax AF lenses have the bar at the back with which you can flick the aperture open. I don't know if other makes have this. Its that bar that the adapter moves. You don't have exact control on the aperture, but you can make an educated guess based on the markings on the ring on the adapter.

---------- Post added 01-23-20 at 02:18 PM ----------

You are spot on but its all relative. The XE1 is great for £100, the XE2 is better for £150, xt10 is £175 the Sony is tremendous for £200+ etc. It all comes down to budget. My budget was £100 and no more and for that the xe1 is peachy bottom line is all my money goes on Pentax kit. I just wanted something cheap enough to chuck about but was capable of decent results and the 16mp xtrans sensor is pretty good. OK, the write speeds are slooooow but as a knockabout for my vintage lenses, its fine.
01-23-2020, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

The best Fuji option that's low cost is either XT10 or XE2s....the evfs are much better and focus peaking has a choice of colours.

Also consider EM5 mk1 Olympus,good stabilisation.

01-27-2020, 03:17 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

To be honest, the Fujifilm cameras are so accurate in white balance and exposure and the in-camera RAW development so good, I rarely need to do anything in PP outside of the camera. If I can't quite get something right I use the software that comes with it, which produces good results but is slow, mainly because you need to wait while it processes the RAW file before you can move onto the next one.
02-07-2020, 05:22 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has anyone tried Canon EF-M bodies to shoot M42 or old manual K-Mount glass on? Some pretty decent deals available right now on, for example, M6 bodies ($USD300 brand new at B&H) and a tempting local used M5 currently being advertised... I find myself tempted, but I wonder what kind of focus aids these bodies provide (either on the back LCD or in the EVF for those bodies that have one, like the M5)?
02-11-2020, 01:49 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Don't bother for the smaller sensor options.
They are neither that much smaller, don't benefit for any of the AF and auto features with the manual lenses anyway, but loose that FF coverage for those legacy lenses.

I've been using the A7 (with Kolari thin filter mod) since launch (7yrs now) as Pentax did not have a FF camera at that time.
Its basically a FF manual camera used in Av or M mode for all my manual lenses (Pentax, Canon FD, ltm, M mount, Exatka, M42)
Nothing much to complain about nowadays about it.
Its cheap (esp if 2nd hand) , FF, not any bigger than most apsc milc options and works.
Focusing is easy with the peaking and magnification if necessary.
Just expect/treat it like an old film camera with manual focusing and it will work well for you.

02-11-2020, 04:09 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I don't see why anyone should not bother with the options that have sensors smaller than FF, they work perfectly well. I'd like a FF camera to use my legacy lenses on, and these days I could get one for a reasonable price, but the Fujifilm primes are just so good I could never move away from them. Extra cash goes into new lenses rather than a FF body.
02-11-2020, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #24
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Darkover Quote
A bought a Panasonic GX-80/85 for the same reason.

It is small, it is cheap, it has image stabilisation better than on the K1.
Of course the sensor is small, I would not recomend to replace a K1 by M43, but it is a good camera for day you did not like to carry the heavy gear.
I got the same and partly for the same reason, and I agree on the cheap and good IBIS part, but the size isn't really that small. A Sony a6000 APS-C is both smaller and lighter (although without IBIS).

Looks good on paper... the M4/3 bothers me a bit though - already my Rokkor 58/1.4 will be at 116mm aspect.
Yeah, the crop factor quickly puts you into to tele land for adapted lenses. Then again, the smaller sensor is a good match for projector and C-mount lenses, or even Pentax 110 lenses.

Did I just say that you need two systems for adapted lenses? I suppose I did, sorry
02-11-2020, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Hello,

I'm at a crossroads here... I have some MD mount glass that I'd love to use without added glass in adapter.

I figured if I get a mirrorless, I can basically use all my Pentax, Zuiko, EOS, MD, Yashica.... lenses in one camera....

Now - my crossroads is where should I go from here?

Full Frame A7ii
APS-C Fujifilm X-E1

I was also thinking of 4/3s or micro 4/3s but my thinking (and a PFs comment on it) is leading me towards the FF since all my legacy glass is FF

Budget is the big issue (otherwise why bother asking here)... I have to set my ceiling at around $350-400.

I'd LOVE to have image stabilization in camera.

Any suggestions?
I asked myself the same question. And stopped at the desire to buy A7II. Yes, it is more expensive than your budget. But it has stabilization. Believe me - this will significantly expand your capabilities.All who say that stabilization is not necessary - either Canon fans, or people who do not fully understand this technology.

---------- Post added 02-11-20 at 06:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I got the same and partly for the same reason, and I agree on the cheap and good IBIS part, but the size isn't really that small. A Sony a6000 APS-C is both smaller and lighter (although without IBIS).

Yeah, the crop factor quickly puts you into to tele land for adapted lenses. Then again, the smaller sensor is a good match for projector and C-mount lenses, or even Pentax 110 lenses.

Did I just say that you need two systems for adapted lenses? I suppose I did, sorry
I have an M4\3, 50mm becomes a great portrait lens, but it's not a full implementation of old lenses. Inability to get a wide angle...
02-11-2020, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Another option you might want to consider is the a7S. Its outstanding high iso performance might make up for the lack of IBIS.
02-11-2020, 10:46 PM - 3 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

Yeah.. I'm a closet Canon user who lives in a cave and don't know about tech.

With Pentax lenses of course.....

02-12-2020, 12:56 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Yeah.. I'm a closet Canon user who lives in a cave and don't know about tech.

With Pentax lenses of course.....

Canon uses only proven solutions. Matrix stabilization according to this company is not a reliable enough technology.
02-12-2020, 11:10 PM - 1 Like   #29
Banned

Photos: Albums
Hello,
I'm at a crossroads here... I have some MD mount glass that I'd love to use without added glass in adapter.
[...]
Any suggestions?
It might help if you listed which lenses you have, i.e. which focal lengths. Also, which focal lengths do you prefer shooting at.

If you don't want AOV to change, go for a full-frame model, whatever you can find at an affordable price.
If you don't mind AOV change and might even benefit from it, pick one of the smaller formats, based on how favorable the conversion would be.

All cameras made after 2013 have competent sensors. IBIS performance will vary - it's noticeably less effective in larger sensors than in smaller ones. You may want to check the handling and controls as well. What looks good on paper may not feel well in hand. Especially if you are used to the nice handling of a Pentax camera.
02-13-2020, 06:17 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
It might help if you listed which lenses you have, i.e. which focal lengths. Also, which focal lengths do you prefer shooting at.

If you don't want AOV to change, go for a full-frame model, whatever you can find at an affordable price.
If you don't mind AOV change and might even benefit from it, pick one of the smaller formats, based on how favorable the conversion would be.

All cameras made after 2013 have competent sensors. IBIS performance will vary - it's noticeably less effective in larger sensors than in smaller ones. You may want to check the handling and controls as well. What looks good on paper may not feel well in hand. Especially if you are used to the nice handling of a Pentax camera.
Thanks - the rokkor is 58mm. All my lenses are over 28mm.

As of late I've been really looking at the X-T10 - may want to wait until the X-T4 comes out to try and get a used X-T10... I did want Full Frame; but I'm not sold on the a7's and their price tags.