Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 52 Likes Search this Thread
01-25-2020, 08:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Minolta? As dead as Tom Arnold's career?

I have a box of Minolta cameras (2-SRT-101) and four lenses that belonged to a friend of mine. He passed away this past December and his wife has asked me to dispose of them. Are they worth anything other than as a paper weight?

Thanks..... I think I already know the answer, but I had to ask.

01-25-2020, 09:07 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I have a box of Minolta cameras (2-SRT-101) and four lenses that belonged to a friend of mine. He passed away this past December and his wife has asked me to dispose of them. Are they worth anything other than as a paper weight?

The lenses may be adapted to several mirrorless mounts and the bodies have value and marketability similar to a Pentax Spotmatic. I have an SR-T 101 from about 1968 that is fully functional and a pleasure to shoot with. You can find out more about which variant(s) you have at the Rokkor Files Web page on the SR-T line:

The Rokkor Files - The Minolta SR Series

What lenses do you have? Some are quite highly regarded.

Steve
01-25-2020, 09:10 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Poor Tom Arnold...
01-25-2020, 11:06 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Are they worth anything other than as a paper weight?
Of course the worth of any tool is only as good as what the user can create with it . . .

As with anything, condition, functionality and what you are willing to part with it for.

The SRT101 is a full function SLR which incorporated CLC (Contrast Light Compensator) metering system, the predecessor to matrix metering today. You can read more about the line at rokkorfiles SRT series or the auction site for current sold prices.

01-26-2020, 09:15 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Of course the worth of any tool is only as good as what the user can create with it . . .

As with anything, condition, functionality and what you are willing to part with it for.

The SRT101 is a full function SLR which incorporated CLC (Contrast Light Compensator) metering system, the predecessor to matrix metering today. You can read more about the line at rokkorfiles SRT series or the auction site for current sold prices.
Now that is a nice collection of Minolta cameras . I have but one, a Minolta MAXXUM 7000. I note the XK in the picture...which to my eyes is wonderful looking pro level product, which I would guess would go for more money than other models. Not being a Minolta aficionado, I don't know if this is the case.
01-26-2020, 10:47 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have an SRT303 with Rokkor 58mm f/1.4 that sits around. I really should get an adapter for that lens and use it on my Samsung NX1.

Regarding the question, it depends a lot on which lenses. Minolta made some good ones under the Rokkor name.
01-26-2020, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Now that is a nice collection of Minolta cameras . I have but one, a Minolta MAXXUM 7000. I note the XK in the picture...which to my eyes is wonderful looking pro level product, which I would guess would go for more money than other models. Not being a Minolta aficionado, I don't know if this is the case.
I believe the SR2 and the XK are at the top end when it comes to pricing.

---------- Post added 01-26-20 at 12:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I have an SRT303 with Rokkor 58mm f/1.4 that sits around. I really should get an adapter for that lens and use it on my Samsung NX1.

Regarding the question, it depends a lot on which lenses. Minolta made some good ones under the Rokkor name.
Minolta lenses are indeed exceptional.

01-26-2020, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those SRT Minoltas are very well made and a pleasure to use. I still have four versions of them. Great quality lenses as well.
01-27-2020, 08:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I good friend of mine passed away last December and his wife has asked me to help her dispose of his huge cache of camera gear. Mostly Pentax, but a lot of other stuff, too. There's also a few other pocket cameras (Nikon, Olympus) two video camera that were used for underwater photography. Two Pelican cases (one very large, one smaller), a 2 1/4 x 2 1/4" camera, 3 or 4 Minolta camera bodies and several Minolta lenses.

Also, there's a White K-50 Storm Trooper with a defective aperture switch..... less than 2K clicks. I'm sending it off to be fixed.

Thanks for all the info on the Minolta cameras.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-27-2020 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Edited as per moderator advice
01-27-2020, 06:41 PM   #10
Forum Member

Try selling the goods on ebay.
I just had my first Minolta lens delivered today. I thought I might try Minolta lenses on my K-50.
01-28-2020, 12:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

A good SRT 101 would fetch something around £45 and up depending on condtion, accessories. You would be better off putting a lens on the camera for sale but a lot would depend on the lens as to whether it would be better bundled or sold seperately. To give you an idea I paid £70 for a totally mint, fully working SRT101 with a mint Minolta 58mm f1.4 compete with original leather case. That combo could hit £150 on a good day.

The 58mm f1.4 is desirable as a bokeh monster of you like that sort of thing.

Prices are variable, seem to go cheap in US, expensive in UK, crazy in Japan.

Like any film camera film tested is the gold standard. Seals may have perished out and mirror bumper could be gone but thats easy to replace. SRTs have potentially failing light cells so metering can be wrecked but almost any camera tech can fix most of the ills.

Dammit what I am saying......they are highly toxic, super dangerous artefacts and should only be handled by experts in old cameras like me and Ismael
01-29-2020, 12:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

By the way whos Bob Arnold ?
01-29-2020, 04:04 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I love the old SR series Minolta cameras. They're very similar in size, build and functionality to the Pentax K series. None of them are worth much money though, even if fully working.

The lenses could be another matter, depending on what they are, but the old Minolta lenses are very well regarded. Primes are better than zooms and fast is better than slow, as always with vintage lenses.
01-29-2020, 11:05 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
None of them are worth much money though, even if fully working.
That may depend on market, which is why I suggest equivalent comparison in Pentaxland. In my city a working and CLA'd SR-T 101 in very good to excellent condition is worth $200-$250 USD at retail, about the same as a similar condition Spotmatic II or K1000. Part of the high price is that the general popularity of film photography here has depleted the used film camera market with non-electronic models commanding higher prices.

An MC Rokkor 50/1.4 PG sells for about $100 USD in my market.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-29-2020 at 11:17 AM.
01-30-2020, 04:06 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I've picked up all of my SR cameras very cheaply and all work very well (light-meters aside) without any need of a CLA. I think they're just incredibly hardy cameras and that keeps their numbers up and their prices down.

I was out shooting the black SRT101 yesterday and remembering just how lovely it is to use. I think it may be my favourite.