Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2020, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Going into Micro Four Thirds - I'm getting an Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III

It has been six months since I've started a new full-time job, and after being out of the photography world for a while, I am writing with sadness that I will be buying into another camera system.

While the Pentax K-3 II and D FA* 70-200mm f/2.8 lens has been instrumental to my work in the last year of my tenure as a sports photographer for my college, I have had a number of issues with this and my Pentax gear generally, ranging from AF sub-mirror delamination on my Pentax K-3 II to the gear simply being too large and heavy for me to carry on a daily basis. Ricoh's lack of significant technological progress over the last few years has not helped. After some thoughts about my requirements, I've decided that Micro Four Thirds is the way to go, and I'll be getting an Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III, most likely in early April. It will be purchased in a kit with the M.Zuiko 12-100mm f/4 PRO lens.

For the time being, I am not selling any of my Pentax equipment, and may even get an adapter to reuse some of my existing Pentax glass (particularly the D FA* 70-200mm f/2.8). Indeed, I realize there are situations where there's ultimately no substitute for a traditional DSLR, and I have not ruled out getting Pentax's long-awaited APS-C flagship due to be released later this year. Also, Pentax has a line of ultra-compact primes that I have not fully explored...

Your thoughts on this?

Draco

Last edited by bwDraco; 02-26-2020 at 06:52 AM.
02-26-2020, 06:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it meets your needs go with it.

We have a couple of small sensor cameras, Optio W90, Q-S1 and XG-1, K-5, K-3 and K-1, all things being equal I shoot with the K-1. Personally I wasn't happy with t K-3 low light performance, so I often dislike the results from smaller sensors. But hey, that's just me.

Recently I've been looking at the Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS200/TZ200. I'm convinced it's the perfect small camera, but it's also $1,000 CDN. For me, given my use of DSLRs, small means pocketable. If it doesn't fit in my pocket, I'd rather have the K-1 or for action, the K-3.

I don't use my Q much, with a lens attached it's almost as awkward to carry as a DSLR. If you have to have a camera bag, I'd rather use APS-c. The obvious suggestion from this point of view is why not a K-P or K-70? Buy a 40 XS for it.

Last edited by normhead; 02-28-2020 at 03:24 PM.
02-26-2020, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have to admit that I find the latest Olympus MFT offerings pretty tempting too. I will be 69 next month and still in good enough condition to haul my current gear around but it will not be getting any easier in the future. I do hope that the Olympus gamble on MFT pays off for them. They have some excellent cameras and lenses.

For grins and giggles, I did price out a kit on B&H yesterday myself. Same camera you are getting too. I has nice shake reduction and pixel shift too using 8 sequentially exposed frames.. Very tempting. Also, like you, I eagerly await Pentax's next camera release. It will be a good indicator as to where the brand is going.
02-26-2020, 06:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Using Pentax glass on m4/3 works but for me it got old very fast. It takes longer to use, best if the lens has the aperture ring or your adapter will need to have a lever to set the aperture, and it's manual focus. I still do it but limit it to Macro or Landscape. Good Luck.

02-26-2020, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bwDraco Quote
Your thoughts on this?
If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't mess around with using Pentax glass - I'd just dive into the m4/3 ecosystem.
02-26-2020, 08:02 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't mess around with using Pentax glass - I'd just dive into the m4/3 ecosystem.
All in or get out basicly. I have used my adapter on my Q system exactly once, just to try it out. In the end, the adapter was a complete waste of money, but it did provide some amusement for a while, if you consider having something to mess around with worth money.
02-26-2020, 08:19 AM   #7
Pentaxian

It's expensive trying to maintain 2 systems. Once you start adding the lenses, flashes, & other stuff, you start to realize that things get pricey rather quick.

The E-M1 Mark III is definitely a nice camera. I think it's the sweet spot in all the current m4/3 flagship cameras. It has excellent IBIS, excellent AF, & very good image quality, given it's sensor size. Obviously you give up something for something with any camera system, but you really can't go wrong with the Mark III. I think it's a win overall.

We still don't have a single clue as to what Ricoh has put into that upcoming APS-C flagship, but given the insane amount of competition in the camera industry, I'm going to guess that Ricoh will make bigger leaps in just about everything with that camera. We'll see what it's all about when it's finally released. I can definitely say that it will make or break Pentax for me as well.

02-26-2020, 08:23 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the Oly mk 1 of that camera. Adapted lenses are very slow to use particularly those without aperture rings. Get a DA K mount adapter that allows for continuous adjustment of aperture (no feedback of stops). It's best for slow work.
02-26-2020, 08:31 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
All in or get out basicly. I have used my adapter on my Q system exactly once, just to try it out. In the end, the adapter was a complete waste of money, but it did provide some amusement for a while, if you consider having something to mess around with worth money.
Exactly. There are several solutions in the m4/3 world that natively approximate the Pentax 70-200/2.8.

It's not that I'm against adapting lenses - I use m42 and Adaptall-2 glass on my Pentaxes. But those lenses perform optimally on my Pentax cameras, because the m42 lenses are fully manual anyway and the Adaptall-2 lenses have PKA adapters, so they behave as "A" series lenses.

The OP should be able to get enough $$ selling the DFA* 70-200/2.8 to pretty much cover the Oly 40-150/2.8 or whatever.
02-26-2020, 08:42 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Exactly. There are several solutions in the m4/3 world that natively approximate the Pentax 70-200/2.8.

It's not that I'm against adapting lenses - I use m42 and Adaptall-2 glass on my Pentaxes. But those lenses perform optimally on my Pentax cameras, because the m42 lenses are fully manual anyway and the Adaptall-2 lenses have PKA adapters, so they behave as "A" series lenses.

The OP should be able to get enough $$ selling the DFA* 70-200/2.8 to pretty much cover the Oly 40-150/2.8 or whatever.
Especially when you consider the big advantage to little sensors is little lenses. Remember ƒ2.8 on small 4/3 is for DoF ƒ4 on APS_c nd ƒ5.6 on FF. A DFA 70-200 2.8 would produces what 8 times the image circle needed for a 4/3 sensor?

I actually saw an Oly shooter yesterday. That tiny little lens he was using for birding was impressive.

Last edited by normhead; 02-26-2020 at 08:51 AM.
02-26-2020, 09:35 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Why "writing with sadness"? I'm sure you'll get excited when you get the new toy

Just do what you gotta do...

When I look into Micro 4/3 which I sometimes do, I usually find the Panasonic offerings more interesting than the Olympus cameras. Same with lenses. But I know people who shoot Olympus and are quite happy. I have to say the system is TINY though... probably too small for my large hands... I'm already at the limit of comfort with my Pentax K-S1, I feel far more comfortable shooting with the K-50, and the K20D was my ideal camera to hold... (K20D was about the size of a K-1!...)
02-26-2020, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think there is too much focus on 'gear' and not enough on images. Any modern gear from any of the manufacturers will produce images far beyond my abilities. So the decision on what to carry should really come done to what feels good and works best for any particular person. If you think that Micro 4/3 is what works best for you why be sad? Focus on the images not the gear.
02-26-2020, 11:03 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Why "writing with sadness"? I'm sure you'll get excited when you get the new toy

Just do what you gotta do...

When I look into Micro 4/3 which I sometimes do, I usually find the Panasonic offerings more interesting than the Olympus cameras. Same with lenses. But I know people who shoot Olympus and are quite happy. I have to say the system is TINY though... probably too small for my large hands... I'm already at the limit of comfort with my Pentax K-S1, I feel far more comfortable shooting with the K-50, and the K20D was my ideal camera to hold... (K20D was about the size of a K-1!...)
The Olympus OM-D E-M1 series cameras are larger than the K-S1, plus they are able to be outfitted with battery grips. Ditto for the Panasonic G9, which is also of similar size to the K20D.
02-26-2020, 11:06 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Enjoy your new system!

As for adapting your Pentax glass to M43, unless you are able to use an amazing adapter, you might be better off simply selling the large and heavy D FA 70-200/2.8. There are lighter and smaller manual focus lenses with aperture rings (e.g. Pentax-A 70-210/4) that might adapt more readily.

Steve

(...am very fond of my A 70-210/4...)
02-26-2020, 11:45 AM   #15
Veteran Member

If Olympus keep the same sensor in the OM-D E-M1 Mark III as they used in the Mark II, that would be a good thing.

The Mark II, through some kind of Sony sensor magic or an Olympus 'accelerator chip', got rid of the main disadvantage of m4/3 - not so great high ISO performance.

The Mark II performs as well in high ISO as some very good APS-C cameras like the D500 and D7200.

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/

Photons to photos also confirms that similar strong performance of the Mark II and Panasonic G9 compared to APS-C like the A6400 and D7200:

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Nikon%20D7200,Olympus%20OM-D%2...ny%20ILCE-6400