Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
07-22-2020, 10:54 AM   #31
mee
Veteran Member

no need to have new threads. This one is already active and frankly there isnt a lot of population on these forums anyways, so we don't need to water down the discussions to multiple threads imo.

07-25-2020, 12:56 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The Z5 is now available for pre-order in South Africa. Pricing is out of my league, sadly. The Z5 is the same price as a Canon EOS R. This is how Nikon rolls, I suppose. I haven't looked at Z prices before. For the Z mount lovers on a budget, there is the Z50. It is the same price as the Canon EOS RP. Nice, except for the crop frame sensor. That is a real deal breaker for me.

Seeing this tiny sensor sitting there in the great big lens mount will just remind you that you couldn't afford to run with the full frame big dogs. Every time you change lenses. Nah...

For now, the EOS RP remains the king of the low(ish) budget full frame hill.
07-25-2020, 05:29 AM   #33
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
For now, the EOS RP remains the king of the low(ish) budget full frame hill.
In what regard? Price? Sure, but it lacks IBIS, has a lower resolution EVF, only a single card slot, and a slower max shutter speed.

Canon skimped on it more so they could lower the price a couple hundred dollars out of the gate. It is also a year and a half old, so the price has had time to come down.

None of that matters though if you just want to shoot RF or EF lenses on the R bodies though. Or are just budget constrained.

Here in the USA, the 'R' is 1800 USD and the Z5 is 1400 USD. The RP started at 1200 USD but has now lowered to 1000 USD. I'm guessing near the end of the year there will be a nice offer on the Z5 too much like with the Z50 last year.

Last edited by mee; 07-25-2020 at 05:34 AM.
07-25-2020, 10:15 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Here in the USA, the 'R' is 1800 USD and the Z5 is 1400 USD. The RP started at 1200 USD but has now lowered to 1000 USD. I'm guessing near the end of the year there will be a nice offer on the Z5 too much like with the Z50 last year.
On pricing alone, nothing gets near RP.Unless people consider those horrible old $onys.

US999 for 24-105 RP versus US 1699 for Z5 24-50.

Stabilisation is done differently.Only advantage I see is Nikon with an unstabilised lens is probably in front of Canon.

Both are gateway cameras to their systems,is there a need for dual cards?The people buying are coming from single cards mostly.

Both systems have been firmwared up to an excellent level,they were a long way behind the A7lll but that gap has tightened a lot.DPR did a video on the differences not so long ago.

It will be interesting to see what price the Z5 drops to?At 1099(body) its reasonable for its capability.I think the price will settle there.

Nikon do promote Z5 as having splash and dust resistance,Canon doesnt but uses different terminology.i did read of an instance of an RP falling into a stream,completely immersed and it continued to function normally.

Last edited by surfar; 07-25-2020 at 10:25 AM.
07-25-2020, 11:51 AM   #35
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
It will be interesting to see what price the Z5 drops to?At 1099(body) its reasonable for its capability.I think the price will settle there.
I suspect it just sheds 200 bucks around the middle of next year. For "Christmas" sales, it will probably end up as a 1400 dollar bundle with the FTZ adapter, an extra battery, a bag, and an extension grip or similar. And maybe, like last time with the Z50, I could see them offering a 30 day money back trial of it.

I noticed at one larger used camera vendor online, they had tons and tons of used Z50's in Excellent condition swamp them in March. So I wonder if those were returns from the earlier promo?
07-26-2020, 02:46 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
And maybe, like last time with the Z50, I could see them offering a 30 day money back trial of it.

I noticed at one larger used camera vendor online, they had tons and tons of used Z50's in Excellent condition swamp them in March. So I wonder if those were returns from the earlier promo?
Sounds like the 30 day trial thing did not work out well...
07-26-2020, 09:20 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Don't basically all the RF lenses have IS? Obviously IBIS is better than no IBIS, but it's one of the features where the system as a whole is more important than the body by itself.
Dual card slots are nice but mostly unnecessary unless you're getting paid (and even then I'd wager a card failure is very unlikely), and if you're getting paid you probably won't be looking at the budgetiest "IQ for a good price" body but at something that makes your life easier.

The EVF is I think the biggest strike against the RP. Everything else is mostly good enough - although with budget RF lenses coming out only now, the camera's entry-levelness did stick out like a sore thumb...

07-29-2020, 09:17 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Don't basically all the RF lenses have IS? Obviously IBIS is better than no IBIS, but it's one of the features where the system as a whole is more important than the body by itself.
It's not just about RF lenses. Many people have unstabilized shorter EF lenses that lack image stabilization, and using IBIS with those lenses brings a lot of benefits, like on the Z cameras.
07-29-2020, 10:37 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
It's not just about RF lenses. Many people have unstabilized shorter EF lenses that lack image stabilization, and using IBIS with those lenses brings a lot of benefits, like on the Z cameras.
That is true of course, but AFAIK no Canon DSLR (apart from the 1DXiii which isn't quite a good comparison ) has IBIS - so worst case scenario such users aren't worse off.

It, however, begs the question of "does it make sense to use EF glass on a Z5 or A7?".
04-30-2021, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here is a really sweet deal on the Z5, only $900:

Nikon Z 5 (no lens included) 24.3-megapixel full-frame mirrorless camera with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, and 4K video capability at Crutchfield
04-30-2021, 01:13 PM   #41
mee
Veteran Member

If you don't mind hazarding a 'Scratch and Dent' camera, that is a very fine deal. The FTZ 150 dollar discount also applies too to that one. Making the combo just under 1k dollars.

I also see them on the authorized dealers too. Nice find.
04-30-2021, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
If you don't mind hazarding a 'Scratch and Dent' camera, that is a very fine deal. The FTZ 150 dollar discount also applies too to that one. Making the combo just under 1k dollars.

I also see them on the authorized dealers too. Nice find.
Sadly (for me) they do not ship to South Africa.
10-19-2021, 03:25 PM - 2 Likes   #43
Veteran Member

I’ve had the Z5 now for 10 months and it’s a great camera. The weather sealing works, I’ve soaked it in thundershowers and it held up like my Pentax’s with DA* lens. Most of the Z glass is fully weather sealed, not just a rubber gasket at the mount, but full seals throughout. The 24-200 included (the one i soaked). Can’t get that unfortunately with the Canon system as it’s travel zoom isn’t weather sealed at all. I would have saved for an R6 most likely had it been.

The Z works great though and a ton of value for the price.

One of the things that happened when I started using it a bunch is I now am “preprocessing” the look of my image in the EVF as you can see all the color changes as you make them, sort of lightroom in reverse and then I just shoot that look as I feel for the day. No post processing afterwards, it’s just done in advance. A completely backward way from what I’ve done with all my DSLR’s for a decade. I didn’t do that with the Olympus either as the EVF is lower resolution and much smaller. It’s doable with the EVF in the Z5 which is the same one in the 6/7.

I do like Nikon’s colors a lot strait from the camera.

EVF’s are not as good in these as an OVF for action though, I prefer my D750 for that. To much blackout and it’s stutters and hard to track BIF etc. Wouldn’t be a problem if they resolved the blackout in between shots. That’s probably the case in the much more expensive R5/3 and Z9 as well as the Sony A1 series. But I don’t have the money for those.

For wildlife I would stick to a D500 or K3iii right now and OVF.
10-21-2021, 01:17 PM   #44
Pentaxian

^ Quick question. Do you struggle with AF when shooting in low light? It's the one issue that I keep reading about for this camera.
10-21-2021, 07:53 PM   #45
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
EVF’s are not as good in these as an OVF for action though, I prefer my D750 for that. To much blackout and it’s stutters and hard to track BIF etc. Wouldn’t be a problem if they resolved the blackout in between shots. That’s probably the case in the much more expensive R5/3 and Z9 as well as the Sony A1 series. But I don’t have the money for those.

For wildlife I would stick to a D500 or K3iii right now and OVF.
I suspect the tech will trickle down to the next gen revisions in a couple of years from the Z9.

I'd stick with a DSLR and a well tuned telephoto too if I did heavy sports or action work. Only because it would be a lot cheaper to go that route than pick up a Z9 (once they are released).

The A7 IV is coming with a 33MP sensor -- I wonder if that will be available for Nikon Z in a couple of years too? I'd like that.