Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2021, 03:11 PM   #76
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
Lovely picture.

Yes i heard a lot of good comments re new Z40/2 , I just purchased Zfc , my first Nikon ever , I just love the design.
I am waiting for Z FX 28/2.8 (SE) , now the question:
Should I possibly consider getting the Z 40/2 , it is FF ( FX) lens and Zfc is DX ( cropped ) ?
I should probably experiment with my DA 40 ( I love it on K-1 ) on K-70 or K-3.
Hi! The 28/2.8 Se or non-se version is on my radar too.. pretty cheap and cheerful lens. But for now I get by with 24-50 zoom which is really sharp and small also. The 40 is 3 stops faster @ 40mm..
40/2 is nice and sharp enough with FF 24Mpix sensor, but I feel that with higher Mpix pitch with Z7 and Zfc it´s struggling a bit wide open at least..

FOV should be similar to 58mm classics though on FF with Zfc. Just keep your expectations low and you will be pleasantly surprised I think . Really nice OOF rendering but at close-up shots it´s a bit glowy and sharpness picks up from f2.8 onwards.

If I had Zfc I would buy it.. But I got GAS

12-10-2021, 03:41 PM   #77
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Not helping!! I convinced myself the 16-35 f/4 I already owned was decent enough. And I was already eyeballing that 40/2 for a walkaround. Now I want both even more.
It probably is good enough.. but 14-30 is smaller and lighter and native and.. Just do it! I even like the "terrible" distorsion @ 14mm with correction profile turned off, mild fish eye effect with good corner sharpness. With LR the profile can´t be turned off but I´m using Exposure X6 mostly now. Or On1 2021.. but it does not have the lens profile.. no biggy for me. I don´t buy lenses to make perfect images.. I love a bit of character.
12-10-2021, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #78
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pen-A Quote
Just do it!
If you're buying them I'm on board!!

But yeah maybe one day. It does seem fairly compact. I do wonder how wide the corrected view is at 14mm versus the corrected view of 16mm of my current lens.

I'm more inclined to get that 40 for walking around. I have the 50 f/1.8 and its super sharp and clean. But having a slightly wider FL would be better for walk around. Plus the 40 is muffin sized!
12-11-2021, 04:54 AM - 1 Like   #79
Pentaxian

I'm thinking my next lens will be Laowa 85/5.6 macro, it is tiny . My only macro is Pentax FA100/2.8 and it's a TANK with K&F adapter or with K-1.. So glad I didn't buy Laowa 100/2.8.. I was having trouble deciding which mount to get..

Z5 with the 85/5.6 should make fun macro setup and lighting will be a piece of cake. Should be cheaper than the 100 also.

01-21-2022, 06:49 PM   #80
cls

This is a very helpful thread, or at least timely for me. I am costing out and agonizing over upgrading to a K3iii and now starting the learning curve to determine if the jump to Nikon Z6ii would be a better move. I just am not at all familiar with Nikon and don't have anywhere local I can have both in hand or rent one, sadly, as that would really aid the decision making.
01-21-2022, 07:11 PM   #81
Pentaxian

^ Is there a Best Buy near you? They should at least have a Nikon Z5 on display for you to play around with.

Out of all Canon, Sony, & Nikon FF mirrorless bodies that I've handled so far, the nicest one in the hands for me have been the Nikon Z bodies. I'd definitely go Nikon Z-mount if I decided to leave Pentax in the future. I'm quite familiar with Nikon DSLR bodies & menus & the Z menus are just about identical to their DSLR counterparts.
01-21-2022, 07:32 PM   #82
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There would seem to be many people who think a crippled 24 MP FF is good thing. Why would it be better than a 26MP K-3iii? I'd like to see a few images people think would be improved shooting 24MP against 26 MP APS-c.

I'm not sure I have any. And I don't really compare my K-3 to my K-1. The K-1 - K-5 pixel size would seem to be the ultimate in terms of sensor performance. MY K-3 for things that move and telephoto , my K-1 for things that don't move, landscape, macro etc. A 24 MP FF, it really doesn't have a use. Same resolution as the K-3iii but without the extra reach for telephoto. Altogether a losing combination.

01-22-2022, 02:47 AM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There would seem to be many people who think a crippled 24 MP FF is good thing. Why would it be better than a 26MP K-3iii? I'd like to see a few images people think would be improved shooting 24MP against 26 MP APS-c.

I'm not sure I have any. And I don't really compare my K-3 to my K-1. The K-1 - K-5 pixel size would seem to be the ultimate in terms of sensor performance. MY K-3 for things that move and telephoto , my K-1 for things that don't move, landscape, macro etc. A 24 MP FF, it really doesn't have a use. Same resolution as the K-3iii but without the extra reach for telephoto. Altogether a losing combination.
I have Panasonic S5 (24 MP FF) and K-3III. With photos K-3III is better hands down. If one fancy mirrorless cameras then Z6II might be better. I’d wait next update thou. Since processor and everything is way better with Z9 and it’s new sensor.
01-22-2022, 08:47 AM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can take most any two cameras and come up with comparisons that favor one or the other.

The only "losing combinations: come from those who fail to realize this.
01-22-2022, 12:31 PM   #85
Pentaxian

Two reasons I’d rather have a 24mp “FF” rather than a generic 26mp “APS-C”.

(1) The files created would be smaller - which would take less space on my computer, and possibly might result in a faster burst speed {24 mega-pixels will take a certain amount of space regardless of large the pixels are.

(2) My film prime lenses were meant for “FF”; they give a different view in “APS-C”, a view I don’t happen to like very much. For example, right now I am using a 28mm Takumar with my K-30; I would use a 35mm or 50mm Takumar if I had a “FF” camera, and would have the lesser focal length(s) available if I wanted a wider view. I would not label any “FF” camera body as being “crippled” if the K-30 is the camera-body providing the comparison.

In any case, price becomes an issue if talking about the K-3iii.
01-22-2022, 01:03 PM   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
You can take most any two cameras and come up with comparisons that favor one or the other.

The only "losing combinations: come from those who fail to realize this.
I do agree. Any camera will be great now a days. One thing for qualifying what is the best for you? What you feel most comfortable with. Images will be very nice, lenses are great. Just go out and shoot and enjoy
01-31-2022, 07:30 PM   #87
Veteran Member

No advantage solely on sensor. But the K3iii is double the price of the Z5. A closer comparison in price would be the Z7 at 45mp vs the 26mp K3-iii. Which all your points would be valid in why that K3iii would be a worse choice.

Z5 is a bargain and excellent performer for the price, coupled with a far more weather resistant line of lenses across the board then what’s available with the K3iii. You also have access to 150-600’s that are far less expensive than Pentax options.

If you already have Pentax gear the K3iii would be the way to go. But given the choice between systems and with the Z9 AF sure to trickle down in the next few updates it’s a no brainer to go with the Z system. Plus Z mount can use just about any lens out there with adapters, which the Pentaxes cannot do.
02-01-2022, 04:39 AM   #88
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
No advantage solely on sensor. But the K3iii is double the price of the Z5. A closer comparison in price would be the Z7 at 45mp vs the 26mp K3-iii. Which all your points would be valid in why that K3iii would be a worse choice.

Z5 is a bargain and excellent performer for the price, coupled with a far more weather resistant line of lenses across the board then what’s available with the K3iii. You also have access to 150-600’s that are far less expensive than Pentax options.

If you already have Pentax gear the K3iii would be the way to go. But given the choice between systems and with the Z9 AF sure to trickle down in the next few updates it’s a no brainer to go with the Z system. Plus Z mount can use just about any lens out there with adapters, which the Pentaxes cannot do.
Not to quibble, but the Z5 is 1300 dollars, while the K-3 III is 2000, but includes a grip. It appears to me that the Z5 grip adds 200 dollars to the price tag.
02-01-2022, 07:27 AM   #89
Pentaxian

Nikon Z6 body from henry's Canada. $2199
Pentax K-3iii after year long discount $2249

For reach the Z6 with a 150-600 doesn't even match the reach of my DA 55-300 PLM with the 1.4 TC.
There are 31 S-line WR lenses available for the Z6.

According to Camera Design

For Pentax
There are 10 weather sealed FF lenses tha use the same mount as the K-3.
9 DA*s all WR or AW and 9 DAs. Coming to grand total of 29 vs 31.
Of course there are many 3rd party lenses available, but for the most part, I consider 3rd party lenses to be stop gaps until I can afford OEM lenses.

The two systems are identical in almost every way, except to get the same results yogurt with the K-3 in terms of reach, you have to buy much more expensive, heavier lenses. The Z6 is only slightly smaller 100 gm lighter.

I should suggest your analysis might be a little biased. You do realize that the K-3ii has more reach with the 150-450 than the Z6 does with the 150-600, for very similar IQ.

The notion that you can get a better AW selection from the Z6 is problematic. There are more, but that doesn't mean you can't get what you want. The issue being not total lenses, but being can you get what you want.

Funny how the proponents of Canon and Nikon systems always go with "how many lenses are available" quantity, without reference to quality or the number of lenses you actually wish to own. If you are good with about 10 lenses and Pentax makes what you want, why does it matter if there are more available from Nikon, Canon or anyone else?

There are reasons to shoot any given system. Becoming a proponent for one probably just means you're blind to the benefits of others.

I like most others buy what's good for me. Comparing the K-3iii to the Z6, I'll go with the K-3iii, because 24 MP is action and birding gear, and the K-3 will get me more for my money. I may be true that the Z6 is good for others, but, we're all different, and when I look at it, I don't see a 50/50 situation with the tie breaker going to all the Pentax lenses I own.

Last edited by normhead; 02-01-2022 at 07:39 AM.
02-01-2022, 07:38 AM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Not to quibble, but the Z5 is 1300 dollars, while the K-3 III is 2000, but includes a grip. It appears to me that the Z5 grip adds 200 dollars to the price tag.
The Premium Kit is not available in Europe anymore, unfortunately. The Z5 is 1200€, the K-3iii sans grip is 2000€, the Z6ii is 1920€ at FotoKoch (each of the Nikons is currently discounted about 200€, though).

Not nearly double the price of the Z5, but significantly more expensive.