Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
06-24-2020, 11:11 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Upcoming Nikon Z5

Made to do battle with the Canon EOS RP, this might just be the camera of my dreams. The RP is pretty good, but reviewers have marked it down for dynamic range.

Some of the rumored features are:
  • 24MP full-frame sensor
  • IBIS
  • Dual SD card slots
  • No top LCD
  • Same AF as the Z6
  • Same EVF as the Z6
  • 1M-dot LCD screen
  • 6fps shooting
  • 1.7x crop in 4K video
  • No slow motion video
It seems like they are targeting stills shooters, not video bloggers. That is just fine with me.

If I can't have my full frame mirrorless dream in a Pentax box, I guess I could will have to settle for a Nikon one.

Read on below:

The Nikon Z5 Will Have a 24MP Sensor, Dual Card Slots, and IBIS: Report

06-24-2020, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't help but think with both Canon and Nikon that it's too late.
06-24-2020, 02:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I shoot a Nikon DSLR and I would love to get this camera. I have never used a full-frame camera and a mirrorless like this might be just want I'm looking for for casual events and landscapes.
06-24-2020, 04:03 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I can't help but think with both Canon and Nikon that it's too late.
Seems sort of like inventing a better horse shoe in 1915.

06-24-2020, 05:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian

it's too late.
K-1 was early?
06-24-2020, 06:42 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
K-1 was early?
Good point except this isn't about Pentax.
06-24-2020, 07:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Lol,well ...CaNik are in the game and their speed of development s outstripping the Sony rate,so who s late?

06-24-2020, 08:23 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Lol,well ...CaNik are in the game and their speed of development s outstripping the Sony rate,so who s late?
Canon and Nikon. Sony has had the market practically to themselves since around 2013.
06-24-2020, 08:37 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
[*]Same EVF as the Z6
What's the EVF in the Z6 like? Better than the RP?
06-24-2020, 09:18 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Its 3.69mill dots.... point8 magnification.A step up from RP,but its fine unless your blind!

---------- Post added 06-25-20 at 03:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Better than the RP?
Yes
06-24-2020, 09:21 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Its 3.69mill dots.... point8 magnification.A step up from RP,but its fine unless your blind!
I've not played with a Z6 yet. Will be good to see what it's like.
06-24-2020, 09:26 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Canon and Nikon.
Theyve come into the market with much better Initial products that $ony, whose first 2 editions were not great.

CaNiks first efforts are reasonable and lens development is probably twice as rapid as $ony.

CaNiks 2nd efforts will more than likely make them very competitive.

Announcements very soon from Sony and Canon,it will be interesting.
06-24-2020, 09:34 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Theyve come into the market with much better Initial products that $ony, whose first 2 editions were not great.

CaNiks first efforts are reasonable and lens development is probably twice as rapid as $ony.

CaNiks 2nd efforts will more than likely make them very competitive.

Announcements very soon from Sony and Canon,it will be interesting.
OK. The seven year head start Sony has in a developing market doesn't mean anything.
From what I've read, Canon and Nikon's initial full frame mirrorless products aren't much to write home about.
06-24-2020, 09:58 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Some time in 2013 was Sony's initial A7,Nikn was August 2018 and the Canons a month or 2 later.

The early reports were accurate,for CaNik but they should be rewritten.Firmware updates have improved both systems no end.Both are still a touch behind the AF of Sony but not a long way.Z and RF glass is more advanced prorata than Sony were at the 2 year mark....As I said,the very soon announcements will be interesting.Canon undercut Sony by 700usd,Ok,the A73 is a much more capable camera than the RP.Pricing is where Canon are leading right now.U$ 999 gets you into a neat basic FF system with a reasonably competent good light kit lens.Lets see what the rumors of the Sony A5 and Nikon Z5 are about?
06-25-2020, 12:07 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Some time in 2013 was Sony's initial A7,Nikn was August 2018 and the Canons a month or 2 later.

The early reports were accurate,for CaNik but they should be rewritten.Firmware updates have improved both systems no end.Both are still a touch behind the AF of Sony but not a long way.Z and RF glass is more advanced prorata than Sony were at the 2 year mark....As I said,the very soon announcements will be interesting.Canon undercut Sony by 700usd,Ok,the A73 is a much more capable camera than the RP.Pricing is where Canon are leading right now.U$ 999 gets you into a neat basic FF system with a reasonably competent good light kit lens.Lets see what the rumors of the Sony A5 and Nikon Z5 are about?
That does sound like a race till the end. Have to say that this tech has advanced greatly. In the end it is still a question of which brand one likes the best. Sony will come and hit below the waist. I think Canon and Nikon can cope. They also have volume, but on top of that quite a bit of legazy. Z5&6 seems to be IMO better when it come to appearance and button layout than DSLR Nikon. It’ll be interesting as it was when these 2 stepped in same ring with Sony at the first place, to see what they have come up. I could imagine that one after this next one will be really good, if they will keep up in developing and getting Feedback from the field.